1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take a look at this

128 REPLIES 128

Re: Take a look at this

I caught up with the bit on Matthew Wright on the CH5 Demand player yesterday afternoon. I did wonder where the discussion was going at first because of the anecdotes from Lesley Garrett and the other girl who was on. Just kinda felt that if they were private family jokes, maybe they should have been kept that way - let's face it, we've all had our own humorous ways of dealing with things with our nearest and dearest in all this, but that's between us and them.

I think the caller Irene got a bit bogged down in what she was trying to put across and she hadn't really thought it through properly before she phoned up. She seemed to be contradicting all the points she was trying to make.

Guest user
Not applicable

I thought Matthew Wright was great the way he challenged that caller Irene who rang in saying we should all find cancer a great laugh - hello?

Guest user
Not applicable

This is the conversation on Twitter from English Threads:

"Thanks. So silly, so much awareness and money missed because of mainly one woman. Social media works for and against! S

Yes. There is a wonderful crochet cushion with 2 great tits in antique shop next to office - I will get for you so you...
@EnglishThreads ...can sit on and put all this behind you 🙂

Thank you. It is far from over, people want the choice so I am being told by the people so I shall continue raising!"

well done - as you say job done and end of!

Well said Maude and Jan.

Insider jokes are very different - our humour is one of our strengths

Maude, great to see your post and ElK's on TV.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone

I agree with tors, apologies have been given and we should accept them and be proud of ourselves that we conducted ourselves in a dignified and reasoned manner.

With regard to laughing at BC. Us 'laughing'(for want of a better term) at it is one thing, other people laughing at it is something completely different.

Thanks also to all the family members and friends who supported us and helped some members to continue posting on the English Threads facebook page.

A job well done

Love to all

J xxx

Hi everyone

First of all can I say thanks to Jan for drawing this matter to our attention. And thanks to all the ladies (and gents) who have made the effort to comment on the forums or the FB pages about this. Thanks also to the Wright Stuff for taking up the cause for us.

I watched the Wright Stuff this morning but I was a bit stunned when my post off the forums popped up on the screen so I have just watched it again on Channel 5 player!

I did get a bit annoyed when the panel decided to take the opportunity to tell their private family mastectomy jokes, none of which I found remotely funny but never mind. Victoria was marvellous, a great spokesperson for us. Irene sounds like a lovely lady but I wasn't too sure about her statement that it is a "proven fact" that a good, positive mental attitude can overcome cancer. Not sure why she thought we should laugh at cancer either.

Anyway, well done to everyone concerned. I am so pleased that we have won and the t shirt is not being promoted in the same manner. We shouldn't have had to do it in the first place but I enjoyed the camaraderie of the battle!

I didn't realise how emotional I was feeling until I watched the programme over again. Now the anger is over I suppose the hurt has taken its place.

Love
Maude xx

An apology has been made on twitter by english threads for offending anybody. I think we should accept this with good grace. They will carry on selling the t shirt as people still want it but the link to breast cancer will be removed. However, they will honour their contribution of £4.50 per t shirt sold being donated to breakthrough but, as i read it, seem to be saying they will not sell it off the back of BC. So, an apology from english threads and breakthrough and suzy perry. The link between bc and the t shirt is currently being broken (though technically it may take a short while) and funds being donated still. I can get past my personal upset and be proud and we did great, hope all parties involved give products more thought next time and well done all.

Job done! Endov!

Well i knew those years of legal training would come in handy one day.

Guest user
Not applicable

Lol vickie 😉 knew it was you as soon as he said the name victoria! Well done for getting through + for expressing your (our) views so clearly + calmly. I would have had stage fright + wudv started stuttering + allsorts!
So glad BBC have acted on this
tina Xx

Thank you Jan for originally posting here about this t shirt and keeping the ball rollong. And thankyou to tina gor your facebook/twitter/email frenzy which resulted in the item being picked up by The Wright Stuff, and thankyou to everyone who supported this via this forum, facebook, twitter, emails and word of mouth. Plus, thankyou yo Victoria who phoned in, she was just so fantastic and should be awarded a date with the vampire of her choice for her insightful comments....

Well done everyone!

I got the Breakthrough email this morning, I was pleased to see they had acted on the complaints.

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Revcat. I only brought it to the attention of us all on the forum it was all of us that got the result.

I'm just in awe of this forum and the power we have when we all work together.

Brilliant. Totally brilliant.

Thanks to everyone. I hope you're all feeling well today.

J xxx

Fair point Ninja, hadn't thought about that aspect

"maybe Breakthrough and English Threads could look at an alternative teeshirt as a means of support? "

I wouldn't buy one of his products if he paid me to do so. He's a complete ***, going by his behaviour on his FB page this w/e.

Edited by BCC

Thanks Mike,both for your input to this thread and for giving us the space to express our views.

Just wondering... maybe Breakthrough and English Threads could look at an alternative teeshirt as a means of support? They do have some which would not cause offence so far as I can see

Edit: Jan thank you for starting this thread and bringing it to out attention. Watched the Wright Stuff and apart from Irene's comments amking me cry (and I'm a tough cooky) thought it was pretty good.

Great stuff! And Ninja I think the monthly prize for profile pic has to go to you, so, so good! x

very like

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,

The charity, Breakthrough Breast Cancer, have asked us to post the following message on their behalf:

Quote:

Over the weekend it has become very apparent that the English Threads fundraising tee-shirt has created a great deal of upset and anger. As such we have spoken with the company today asking them to remove the association with Breakthrough from this product.

We would like to unreservedly apologise for any upset this fundraising initiative has created. The opportunity arose from the company wanting to help us raise funds in our fight against breast cancer and was motivated by their very personal connection with the disease. We accept on this occasion we made the wrong decision and we would like to reassure all of our supporters that we will act on any lessons that can be learnt.

Breakthrough Breast Cancer:

Over the weekend it has become very apparent that the English Threads fundraising tee-shirt has created a great deal of upset and anger. As such we have spoken with the company today asking them to remove the association with Breakthrough from this product.

We would like to unreservedly apologise for any upset this fundraising initiative has created. The opportunity arose from the company wanting to help us raise funds in our fight against breast cancer and was motivated by their very personal connection with the disease. We accept on this occasion we made the wrong decision and we would like to reassure all of our supporters that we will act on any lessons that can be learnt.

The Wright Stuff Channel 5 9.30

This morning: Should union bosses be threatening civil disobedience just a month after the riots? Also, your thoughts on the breast cancer t shirt that features a pair of great tits on the front that’s got survivors in a flap. And why on earth does Nancy Dell’Olio deserve a place on Strictly?

Guest user
Not applicable

The response from Breakthrough (here on page 4, via BCC) was removed from their FB page along with all comments on the English Threads page. There is opportunity to voice your opinion on the Boycott English Threads page or on the WrightStuff FB or website.

"Maybe he thinks there's no such thing as bad publicity!!! "

Sadly I think there may be more than a little truth to that, after all look at how many people are now visiting FB and his website! 😞

I've been rallying the troupes amongst my friends and family. We are all of us going to try taking part in the Wright Stuff to voice our feelings about this.

I am still staggered by how *anyone* would think that this t-shirt was a good idea!

Nymeria x

Guest user
Not applicable

Yes I've had a look. It says on the like/dislike thread that she's going to have it removed when she gets back to the UK!!! T
English Threads still market the t-shirt to raise funds for BBC. I can't believe this bloke he just seems hell bent on ignoring the obvious. Surely the best thing to do would be to use another t-shirt for the BBC fundraiser and apologise. Maybe he thinks there's no such thing as bad publicity!!!

Guest user
Not applicable

i have added my dislike to English treads fb

Her picture is still on their website if you scroll through all their ad pics .

Guest user
Not applicable

My son sent a text to Suzi Perry saying she'd made a mistake modelling the t-shirt. She replied saying that she has asked for her picture to be taken off the website and is very sorry to have upset anyone.

Guest user
Not applicable

have posted, but expect that it will be taken down

Guest user
Not applicable

The English Threads wall on FB is open again so if you haven't been blocked (yet) you may wish to add your comments.

Guest user
Not applicable

I set up the Boycott English Threads group on FB, please like the page if you agree that English Threads are ignoring the legitimate views of we who have gone through so much with this vile disease. Deleting our comments. Blocking us from the page. We will not be silenced.

Yes, The Wright Stuff are running it tomorrow. You might want to call in or email them on air or beforehand to make your views known.

If you use Fb you might want to 'like'' the page Boycott English Threads.

Guest user
Not applicable

The Channel 5 show, The Wright Stuff, will be airing the discussion tomorrow in their usual time slot, please ring in with your views!

Guest user
Not applicable

It doesn't look like these people are selling for charity. However, it's one to add to the list. It's obviously all about money and jumping onto the Breast Cancer Awareness initiative to make yourself a load of dosh. That is just crass.

Did someone say they had some info about going to the press. Maybe we should make examples of all these people.

Almost all comments have been removed from the company's site. However, if anyone does take this to the press, please inbox me first. I have something helpful.

And, to add a bit of balance, some of these are as bad
http://www.zazzle.co.uk/breast+gifts

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning

With regard to the standard reply I received from BBC I assume that the last part of it is their mission statement:

'Breakthrough Breast Cancer is dedicated to improving and saving lives through finding the causes of breast cancer, encouraging early detection, ensuring precise diagnosis, discovering new and better treatments, and improving medical services.
We believe passionately that breast cancer can be beaten. Our aim is to bring together the best minds and rally the support of all those whose lives have been, or may one day be, affected by the disease.'

If this is the case then they are failing pretty badly on the support of all those whose lives have been affected by the disease by their endorsement of this t-shirt.

http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/Showcharity/RegisterOfCharities/ContactAndTrustees.aspx?Register...

If the link works..... This is a list of breakthrough breast cancer's charitable trustees, in case anyone wants to explain to them why they love or hate this t-shirt.

Ive just looked at the T.shirt....not read all the comments but as someone who has had a mastectomy and going through recon...the last thing i want is to draw attention to my boobs!....surely they could of chosen something that promotes awareness without drawing everyones eyes to someones boobs....DISLIKE

Guest user
Not applicable

I emailed BBC asking them to withdraw their support of the t-shirt
This is the standard reply acknowledging my email.
Thank you so much for contacting Breakthrough Breast Cancer, the UK's leading breast cancer charity.

'We aim to respond to your email within one working day of its receipt. If a reply is going to take longer we will let you know when you can expect a response.

Breakthrough Breast Cancer is dedicated to improving and saving lives through finding the causes of breast cancer, encouraging early detection, ensuring precise diagnosis, discovering new and better treatments, and improving medical services.

We believe passionately that breast cancer can be beaten. Our aim is to bring together the best minds and rally the support of all those whose lives have been, or may one day be, affected by the disease.'

I really don't think that this t-shirt is the way to rally the support of sufferers.

Guest user
Not applicable

Anyone with PR connections to raise the profile of the objections higher?

Guest user
Not applicable

I think we can safely assume that if this bloke is 'bending' the opinions on his facebook page then he's 'bent' the results of his focus group. Even Asda listened and acted on the Katie Price 'Tickled Pink' issue.

Guest user
Not applicable

Quote from 12th July on EnglishThreads FB page from their MD:
"Dear all. I am doing a special pink version of 'Great Tits' for Breast Cancer. I have approached a couple of the bigger charities who were interested but got outvoted to endorse the idea because of the word 'tits' Annoying as it is a positive message. Do any of you have an affiliation/friendship/contact who works for a Breast Cancer charity who might be worth talking to? If so please let me know. All the best. ET"

Interesting to see the support for the Tshirt was not so straightforward, and concerns were highlighted to EnglishThreads.

Guest user
Not applicable

Well I am appalled. It's clear from this forum and English Threads Face book page that there is enormous objection to this item being sold to raise funds for Breakthrough Breast Cancer.

There's obviously some worthwhile gain for this man to take the stance he has. If he has any decency about him he would apologise and take the BBC off that item. He's decided that he doesn't like the comments on the Face Book page and so he's just gor rid of them. What sort of person is he?

Guest user
Not applicable

The MD of EnglishThreads stated in a post on his FB page on the 12th July that he has problems getting support from UK charities for his product due to concerns about it being appropriate. The FB page is closed now & comments critising have been removed. He states they are not constructive. May hearing the reality of Breast Cancer is not so "cheeky" & "lighthearted".

English threads site on fb says this:
I am sorry but we will be shutting the FB forum down. We are getting emails from people too scared to post positive messages in case they bullied. We did put a note out asking for people to be polite with their opinions but sadly a few have... spoiled this and I have just had a lady with BC on the phone in tears saying she wants to support this but is too afriad. It is no longer a forum for sensible debate. Regards, English Threads

you can still see all the comments if you go to their page and click on the photo of the girl in the pink T (The T!)...

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

I think the tee shirt is overtly sexist.

Guest user
Not applicable

Their FB site has been edited & partically closed. I suggest leaving feedback at Breakthrough who collaborated on this project.

Please see my thread, like or dislike great tits t shirt, which is to try and gather a bit of on target short, to the point evidence of whether people who dislike this t-shirt are in the minority, as claimed by the manufacturers, and presumably breakthrough breast cancer if they saw fit to endorse it. Please just indicate like or dislike on that thread so we can get a list together which can be a easy ready reckoned on how it is liked or disliked by the people affected by breast cancer on this site.

And please continue to discuss the issues more broadly on this thread, mine is an added extra, not a substitute!

I have also had my posts removed and have been blocked.
I really am disgusted !!

Julie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Stephen Shotton the MD of English Threads writes on his personal FB page and I quote
"Dear All. If you have the time or inclination please go on to the English Threads FB page and post a message of support. We are getting great feedback and need some of the overs to say their bit as well as the minority who are offended. I have received so many email of support so need FB to look supportive. Many thanks. Steve"

Looks like we are the minority.

I commented earlier but this is annoying me so much I cannot stop thinking about it! I think the company's response is actually more insulting than the original t-shirt!

Yes the t-shirt is incredibly insensitive and not at all funny, but occasionally offensive t-shirts do slip through the focus groups. I just read recently about a Next t-shirt for little girls that said something about liking boys on it. People complained - the company apologised and it was WITHDRAWN! Sometimes this happens and I think any responsible company, on learning that one of its products is offensive, should apologise and remove it. What is annoying me so much is that, instead of English Threads saying "gosh, we didn't think it was offensive, but now you have pointed out that it IS, we will do something" Instead they are sticking to their guns, insisting it is fun, and that they are "standing by the positive message". The fact is, they have NOT had solely positive feedback (as they seem to keep insisting)and are just ignoring the many, many messages from people such as us who find the t-shirt incredibly distasteful.

To keep promoting something you have been told is offensive is, in my opinion, even worse than producing the offensive item in the first place. At least when they produced it (assuming it did receive positive feedback from a focus group) they may well have genuinely believed it was "fun". Now, after many people have complained (one poor lady on facebook even said she cried when she saw it, but I guess she should just lighten up) they cannot say they do not know it is offensive, but they are still promoting it anyway. That disgusts me.