Taking up running on Tamoxifen

Hi everyone
Two weeks ago I took up running, with the help of a couch-to-5k app, so I’m only running 3 times a week for about 3/4 mile at the moment.
However I’ve had to stop as my knees and ankles are so sore I can’t walk properly without ibuprofen. I’ve not run for 4 days and I’m still suffering.
I have not exercised for many years, but I’m only 37! I’ve been on Tamoxifen for 10 months.
Any runners out there who can shed light on whether it is the medication causing this?
Thank you ?

Hi there

I’ve been on tam for 2 years now and about a year ago I joined a running club but suffered with terrible joint stiffness and pain… hips, knees and ankles. So I quit running and now I just do brisk walking. At least 3 miles a day, I find it helps with the stiffness and fatigue.

Hope you find a solution that’s suits you

X

Thank you barbie! Reassuring I’m not the only one. The pain is unbearable when I first get up in the morning and has now lasted a week. I hope it’s goes away soon so I can start some form of gentler exercise x

Hi runningfree thanks for your reply ?
I wouldn’t describe this as ‘aches and pains’, I find the pain so bad at times I have to crawl up the stairs; my son’s school is quarter of a mile away and I really struggle to get there twice a day, morning being worse. Also struggle with uneven ground (uneven slabs, stones, hills), as the bones on the top of my feet are so sore.
The app I use includes a warm up and down, although no stretches ? I like your suggestion of compression socks, I have some somewhere, so when I’m ready in a few months I might try with those.
I’ve been wondering if cod liver oil might help, or some other supplement x

Hi KH,

I know just how you feel!  I’m only 47 but sometimes feel I’m 77 when I get up in the morning…it’s not good!

I started on Tamoxifen at the end of April.  After I’d healed from surgery and during chemo I walked as much as I could and went back to pilates (which I’ve done for years).  I used to run but stopped several years ago because of knee and ankle problems. I think you have to listen to your body and do what is best for you. 

I recently joined the local YMCA gym under a ‘Moving Forward’ programme. The instructor is lovely and worked out a routine for me, which was challenging but doable. I’ve been doing this twice a week for 9 weeks now and there are still days when I think I won’t get through the routine and feel exhausted but a bit of motivational music and gritted teeth usual gets me through! I also swim once a week, which I’m enjoying.  When I started off I only managed 10 lengths, I’ve pushed this up to 50 lengths over the last nine weeks.  The great thing about swimming is everything is support by the water, so you’re working muscles but not putting stress on your joints.

If you can get to a pool I would definitely recommend swimming alongside doing your yoga.

Start small and don’t be disheartened, every little bit of exercise you do is helping.

Good luck and I hope you’re up and running again soon.

Vik xx

Hi I’ve been on Tam around 2 weeks now and I have all of those symptoms. However mine started just before the Tam so I can’t blame that! I literally stopped chemo in Sept and the pains in leg and especially Achilles hit me from nowhere and got steadily worse during radio. I’m hoping it will go away in time so in my opinion it may not be the Tam solely affecting you . Hope this helps xx