Tamoxifen 5 years on

Options
‎02-04-2015 10:16 AM
I wonder if anyone can put my mind at rest.

I’ve been on Tamoxifen for 5 years and my Consultant referred me to a gyne “just to check everything was ok” after I had a bit of spotting every now and then.

I saw the gyne last night who did an internal scan and found a polyp but said that this was a side effect of the Tamoxifen (I wish they’d warned me at the start). My Consultant has told me to keep on Tamoxifen for another 5 years, but there’s a 3% chance of cancer of the womb !.

I’m now booked in for the 13 April to have the polyp removed, although I can’t remember whether they said under general or local. He did say that it looked non cancerous but they are taking it out just to be safe.

Am so scared out of my mind, I’m not sure I can face another load of Chemo and am so trying to keep a brave face on this.

If anyone has had this done, was everything ok?

Please help

Hi I started taking tamoxifen in May 2013 and had a polyp removed in January. 2014. I am pleased to say since it was removed I have had no more spotting. The op was fine and no great discomfort after and the polyp was benign . Hope this helps. . Good luck

Hi Sarah, firstly well done on reaching the 5 year mark! I’m only a year in and struggling already!

I had a major bleed back in Jan, after a year period free! As it was over a year and so classed as unexplained bleeding (plus super heavy) I was sent for an ultrasound. This showed a cyst on my ovaries, a fibroid and endometrial thickening!! So I was seen by the Gynaecologist who told me that although due to my age 40, all this was ‘normal’ because of the Tamoxifen they like to check things out.

So I had a Hysteroscopy under GA a week ago. Where they found 2 polyps and 2 areas of thickening, all of which were removed and sent for testing! Surgeon seemed to think it all looked normal. But I get results next Friday! I think they like to be super cautious and keep an eye on things. The risk of Tamoxifen causing womb cancer is very low…but I know how scary the thought is!

Sending you a (((hug)) hope all goes well. Try not to worry too much. Hope you have a nice Easter ???

Thank you to both of you, am keeping my fingers crossed, my gyne said it all looked normal so am keeping it all crossed.