Tamoxifen Abdominal Pain

I am at my wits end with this, really don’t know what to do next.

I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Breast Cancer 30mm Grade 2 in July 2014 (age 50) I had a lumpectomy within 3 weeks and it was confirmed to be Oestrogen Receptive with a negative Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy.  I had radiotherapy for 6 weeks in December and started Tamoxifen at the same time.  I had to discuss the medication with the Gynae as I have Endometriosis but he assured me the benefits would outweigh the risks especially as I was pre-menopausal.

I was having a few issues like hot sweats, cramps and weight gain but decided I could cope, I am very fit and used the gym to combat the weight gain and body shape change, which was actually coming along nicely.

In February this year I started to bloat up, my GP sent me for an ultrasound which confirmed I had Cysts (simple) on each ovary, fibroids and the lining of my womb was approx 8mm and negative Ovarian Cancer bloods she said she would keep any eye on things.  In August, just as i was due for another check my periods abruptly stopped and that is when things really kicked off.  I have spent time in hospital due to the pain, I get stomach cramps, sharp stabbing pains and low back ache all feel like my period is due but it never comes.  I had an ultrasound in hospital which revealed that one cyst had gone on my left ovary but there were now 2 on my right, they couldn’t see much on the ultrasound as the lining of my uterus was approx 30mm thick, very bulky with fibroids present and now a polyp.  The hospital discharged me with pain management and an outpatient appointment for a hysteroscopy.  I had the hysteroscopy this week and the doctor confirmed a large polyp, I am still to receive the results of the samples they took from my uterus.  After the procedure I did suggest that I would like to discuss the possibilities of a hysterectomy, I am waiting for an appointment with the Gynae for the results and the doctor who carried out the procedure suggested I discuss it then.  

I really want to continue with my treatment but at the moment it is affecting my day to day quality of life, any help advice or support would be gratefully accepted.

Sounds like if it is affecting you so badly you don’t have much choice Debs,if they take your ovaries too you will be post menopause so could go on to Letrozole if you wanted to instead of Tamoxifen.A lot of people have similar dilemmas with these drugs , difficult to know at what point do you call it a day and say this is affecting me too much and I need either to stop taking it or have treatment like you are considering .If you don’t plan on having any more children and it is causing you pain and discomfort I would be tempted to go for hysterectomy if it was me.Good luck .

Hope you have some decent painkillers, 6 weeks can seem like a very long time when you are in pain , why don’t you tell them you will accept a cancellation if they get one or hassle for a more urgent appointment if you are struggling so much.Best of luck.

Sounds miserable.Looking forward to whatever horrors Tamoxifen has in store for me in the future , so far hair falling out which has not exactly made me feel good and joint pain which I can live with.Hope you get it sorted quickly .

Thank you Jill it’s time for me to take control and get my quality of life and health back. Good Luck with your journey and thanks for the advice ?

Yes I think the Hysterectomy is probably the way forward all the people I speak to who’ve had similar experiences say it’s the best thing they’ve ever done, I’ve given Tamoxifen a chance but I can’t carry on like this, I’ve also decided to contact the Breast Care Team/Oncologist tomorrow to say I’m taking a break from it as I can’t do this pain for 6 weeks until I even get to see the gynae ??