Tamoxifen Brands

Last time I picked up my Tamoxifen I found that I’d been given Teva brand instead of the APS that I usually request. I queried this and was told they can no longer get APS but after some phoning around found another pharmacist who explained that Teva own APS and that the Teva and APS versions are exactly the same. I checked the patient info leaflet for both and indeed they appear to be identical, including all the additives.

However, I’ve been suffering a lot more hot flushes on the Teva pills than I was getting before. I’ve tried Wockhardt before and had a horrible time with that, and the additives in that one are quite different from APS and Teva.
Has anyone else had problems switching from APS to Teva?

Hi CheshireCheese

Just bumping this up for you. I hope someone will now see it who can reply to you.

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi Cheshire Cheese
I’ve just been looking on line to try and find out about ‘Teva’ brand as I’ve just been to pick up my latest prescription and it was Teva when I’ve been on APS since starting tamoxifen last October so was a bit concerned as never heard of Teva. Glad to hear someone else has though! So I can’t comment on any differences in side effects yet but will keep you posted.
Anyone else any comments on this?

I’ve just been given Teva rather than my usual APS.

I get very few SEs with APS, so will be trying these with some trepidation!

hiya - just to say i have been taking the teva brand for almost 4 weeks now and apart from a few aches and pains and mild hot flushes, im not getting any really bad side effects, so i will try and stick to this brand as much as i can.

Hi,I’m another who is now being given teva instead of aps,so nervous about swapping as I tried all brands and was so I’ll with them all except aps
Not sure what do do ,is there anywhere I can find out and totally compare all the ingredients including those pesky bulking agents
I don’t want to go back to feeling I’ll again

It doesn’t seem to make any difference to me. I’ve had four or five different brands - I never know which one I’m going to get - and my flushes haven’t changed at all. They’re frequent and 24 hours a day, whichever brand I use.

I also get achy legs in the evening but that doesn’t really cause me a problem, and have real trouble sleeping. Apart from last night (miracle!) I usually wake up between 3 or 4am then stay awake for at least two hours.

I’ve been taking it for about 15 or 16 months now.

Jane xxx

Hi there, the same thing happened to me today. My pharmacist checked all the information and actually phoned Teva to check everything out. She also said the APS had been taken over by Teva. Will let you know how it goes when I start taking them. Take care x

Exactly the same same here, had aps for 2 years now and changed to teva this time. Pharmacist explained they’d owned the factory and business for ages but were only just rebranding. He swore they were the same tablets made the same way with the same stuff in. My hot flushed haven’t been worse but I have been having more aches and pains. Good luck with them
X

hows everyone getting on with teva ive a few more days before i have to start them and im very tempted not to to be honest. other brands make to so ill i cant work
who can i ring to have an honest comparison for this and aps

Hi again ladies, I have been taking the Teva brand for over a week now (previously on APS) the symptoms are exactly the same, not less and no more. Just the usual hot flushes and a bit of joint stiffness. So glad there is no real difference. Hope this helps.
Lisa x

i’m going to get my prescription today - is there a big defference between brands? is there good and bad ones???
thanks xx

Hi Cathy1802,
The active ingredients are the same in all brands, but the bulking agents can be different. Through trial and error some of us find that one brand suits us better than another, as the side effects can be different. There is no good brand and bad brand - it is all down to how each brand affects each person, so what is good for one may be bad for another and vice versa. If you find, over time, that one brand gives you less side effects, it is worth coming to an arrangement with a friendly pharmacist so they always get the right one in for you. If you go to a large Boots, say, you will probably get whatever thay have in that day, but if you go to a smaller local place you are more likely to find a pharmacist who will help you.

Hi everyone
Just wanted to say I have been taking APS for 18 months and have just been told by my pharmacist they are unable to source it. After a bit of searching and help from someone in boots I have found that Teva took over APS a few years ago but are just changing the packaging. Just to be sure I got in touch with Teva who said exactly the same thing. The ingredients in both are exactly the same. I have been taking them for 2 weeks and SE are no more or less than before. Hope this helps.

Have had APS, Generics and Wockhardt now am taking Relon??? Anyone else have these? xx

Hi, I’ve been swapped onto teva for a few months now and thank goodness the swap has been fine

Hi Katytc
I’ve also just been given Relon,and will give them a go as although I usually have Generics brand, I’ve noticed the side effects (aching joints) have got worse over the last couple of months, even though I’m a year into treatment now.
Can’t comment on the hot flushes as those have been much better since I’ve been having acupuncture.
I’d also be interested in how other ladies are getting on with this (new)? Relon brand.
Take care all.
xx

I’m glad I found this thread…have been taking tam for 5 months now and have been largely OK…have had Teva…Wockhart…APS…but now got some marked Relon…they’re driving me up the wall!!!..I can’t sleep properly…I feel quite down all the time which is unusual for me…and I have joint ache…I feel 90 and I’m only 54!!!..I am going back to the chemist today to see if they have any different brands to this one…Katy…I can see you have Relon…are you ok with them or is it just me?

That’s really odd apple because I have been taking them for almost 1 month, first week ok, next two weeks I kept wakening at 4 am, this week back to normal, hopefully! I do usually sleep through the night so did start to wonder about the Relon??
As for joint pain I can hardly walk today but that may have more to do with other issues than the Relon. xx

apple just saw your post in Benchland, 4 am a coincidence or what??? xx