Tamoxifen & Nausea ?

Hi ladies
Can anyone help, I have been on Tamoxifen since August 2012 so 7 months, I have had dreadful nausea, I normally get a hot flush then the nausea arrives sometimes I get it without the flush, I wake in the morning feeling sick and its on/off all day, has anyone else had this ? Im off to the Dr tomorrow he has changed my doseage to 10mg twice daily already but its not helped I dont want him to think im a hyperchondraic but its pretty bad

Hugs to all xx

Bumping to be seen x

I suffered from terrible nausea from the minute I woke up, all day and night, had a liver scan etc as doc said it wasn’t the tamoxifen, eventually spoke to BCN and she said to take it on a full stomach preferably after tea, started doing that and nausea disappeared in around 3 days. Couldn’t believe it after months and months of nausea and investigations it was as simple as that. Hopefully this is the same as yours and if you take tam on a full tummy the nausea will stop. My sympathies are with you because the nausea makes you feel so ill all of the time, fingers crossed xx

Thanks Katytc, I dont suppose it helps that im trying to diet to lose some chemo weight but I eat regulary little & often , im so fed up of feeling Cr*p all the time and my mind goes into over drive with the what ifs , oh well I will have to see what Dr says tomorrow, I have mentioned it to Onc and at my open access appointment but they dont seem to be worried by it , I was just wondering if anyone else had suffered this as all seem to say its not usual S/E or it normally passes after a few weeks of starting !

x

I felt a bit icky when I first started taking Tamoxifen, but someone on here recommended taking it at bedtime with a little food or milk. I found that helped - or my body just got used to it, can’t swear for certain, as I’ve continued to take it at bedtime, but no longer need food with it. Have you tried experimenting with what time of day you take it? Do different brands make a difference? Many ladies have commented that the SEs are different with different brands.

There are still foods, eg raw onions and raw peppers, I have to avoid or I have galloping indigestion. This has certainly been worse sinse I started Tamoxifen.

As my hot flushes arrive I do get a fleeting sense of nausea, but I can control this by realising it is a hot flush,and will soon pass, taking a cardi off and forcing myself to relax and stay calm. Wierdly, putting my right (but not the left for some reason!) forearm on something cool really helps prevent the hot-flush-panic-nausea. No idea why, but it works for me!

Hi Lottie63, ive not had my operation yet waiting on a MRI scan, I was prescribed tamoxifen on Tuesday have had really bad nausea and light headiness ,I am going to try taking it in the morning instead of evening.I hope it settles down feel rubbish with this and all the waiting.Hope you feel better soon. Meggy-moo x

Thank you for your advice ladies. I’ve been taking it for about 6 weeks and am suffering lightheadedness, nausea (like motion sickness) and dizzy spells that last for seconds only but are most unpleasant.
I’m a bit random about when I take it (with my stupid post chemo brain it’s a miracle I remember to take it at all …only remember because i’m terrified the BC will come back) so will do some experimenting with set times.
MMM x

Hi MMM hopefully it will settle down.  What you describe sounds a bit like what I experienced in the early days (and sometimes still do just before hot flushes).  I followed the advice to take my Tamoxifen with food (breakfast in my case) and that seems to work.

In the early days I used to sometimes not be sure if I’d taken it or not (chemo brain + never having taken regular meds before) so I started numbering the  strips  and writing the day letter (Su M T Tu W Th F Sa) on the bubbles.  Nowadays I probably don’t need to , but it is a bit of a comfort blanket effect knowing I can quickly check I’ve taken it.  (Probably a bit OCD too!!)