cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tamoxifen - Repeat prescription

17 REPLIES 17
The

Re: Tamoxifen - Repeat prescription

Apparently acupuncture is supposed to help with hot flushes on tamoxifen but I have to wait six months before they will start compliment therapy xxx
JB

I got two weeks script from surgeon, and then two months each time from GP.   On initial visit I was told that I had to see GP each time so they could check BP etc etc.   But when trying to book app for next script just before Christmas I was told by the receptionist that I could get these on repeat and didn't need to see GP.   (So much for non clinical staff not giving clinical advice!!).   I too have an arrangement now with my pharmacy, they will organise repeat, pick up and have them ready for me every two months.    I check my BP at home, but have been going to GP anyway as I developed froz shoulder symptoms and am now waiting to hear about my physio referral.

Interesting to read about acupuncture being prescribed - I asked my BCM about this, as I'd had it on my other side for froz shoulder, and was told I should avoid acupuncture because of possibility of lymphdema!    Seems everyone has different opinions on everything!   

The

Saw my onco last week I start tamoxifen on 1st March I asked if there are things to avoid and was told sage, soy, back cohosh, St John's wort, red clover and magnets. She said I could take evening primrose oil and I asked about accipuncture which I can use as a complimentary treatment after being on tamoxifen for six months.x Tracy
songbird68

I find it inconvenient to only have 30 tablets at a time too, but thought that was just the way it was prescribed. Now, thanks to you ladies I know different! I will be making an appointment with my GP to get this revised asap.

Thank you!:)

x x

Magical_Moon

Hello ladies,

I asked again for three months supply.
Success!!!
I've just picked up my third 'repeat' prescription today......90 tablets.
Not seen my GP since 19 September 2013 when she examined my lump and referred me to Breast Clinic.
Nearly three months on since I started taking Tamoxifen. I am a bit surprised GP has not asked to see me for monitoring purposes especially as Tamoxifen is a powerful drug.
M x
Butterfly318

I will be interested to hear any replies as i am currently using Starflower Oil which has been helpful in reducing the number but still get flushes if i get anxious and night sweats.  I am a lot warmer all the time, on cotton bedding, poor Hubby keeps digging out a little fleece blanket (from when our Son was little and having afternoon naps) as i keep turning the heating off.  

Looking forward to replies..   Gilly x

The

Hi I've heard sage is supposed to be good for hot flushes. Has anyone tried it?
Magical_Moon

Hi Gilly,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I haven't heard about the Magnet so will 'Google' it to find out more. At the moment I am using a Thai hand fan I bought on my holidays in March. Didn't think I would be using it in the UK winter!!!
Peace and Positivity,
M x
Butterfly318

Magical Moon.

As you say my GP sounds really thorough.  I have been fortunate not to have been poorly before, apart from basic Chest infecion and some minor Gynae stuff,  but i think you're right and i am lucky.     

Unfortunately i have had to get to know him quite well over the last twelve months and he is very receptive to and happy to discuss  my taking supplements such as Glucosamine (re. jpint pain etc) and Starflower Oil (Hot Flushes), although the PCT doesn't allow these items on Prescription. 

I do hope the Hot Flushes settle for you after a while.  Have you heard of the Knicker Magnet.  I haven't used it personally but have seen a number of favourable comments from Ladies using it to prevent / moderate the Flushes.

Take Care.    Gilly x 

Magical_Moon

Erica, may be you could ask for 60 next time. Good luck!!!

Gilly, your GP sounds very thorough which is great. I have just picked up my prescriptions from the reception desk so have not seen my GP since I started taking Tamoxifen nearly 4 weeks ago. I'm hoping someone from the practice would have notified me if there was a problem prescribing the drug without seeing me. You have given me food for thought about the benefit of monitoring my blood pressure and side effects in the early days of taking this drug.

My cancer was so greedy for oestrogen, I was keen to start taking Tamoxifen as soon as I could despite the dreaded return of hot flashes. Sometimes I get so hot I feel I am going to burst into flames!!!

Peace and Positivity,
M xxx
Butterfly318

Morning Ladies.

I commenced Tamoxifen in July this year and my GP has just increased my prescription to 2 months supply.  Initially he would only give me one month at a time.  His rationle is that he wanted to see me each time so we could discuss any side effects, check BP etc.  He reckons it is a very effective but powerful drug and wanted to monitor it's efficacy along with any side effects in the early days. 

Take Care    Gilly x     

4littlecherubs

Ive just checked mine as I picked up my first repeat prescription today and I only have 28!! 😞 xx
Magical_Moon

Picked up my Tamoxifen prescription today and my GP had increased amount to 60 tablets. Would have preferred 90 tablets on my repeat prescription but it didn't materialise.

At least GP doubled amount so I am pleased.
Magical_Moon

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have added a note to my GP on my repeat prescription asking if she would consider giving me three months supply. Picking tablets up tomorrow so will see how many I get.

I can understand the logic of not prescribing too many in case you have to change drugs but on the other hand there is a note on my repeat prescription saying 'to be taken until November 2015'.
poemsgalore

Hi,

I have a number of drugs on repeat prescription including Tamoxifen. I always get 30 days supply of all of them. This is because they have to be reviewed every so many weeks as they don't like to do what they did in the old days, give tablets out like sweets and not check up on whether they are still right for the patient. I also have a review every year of all my drugs. I know this seems odd, considering Tamoxifen was initially subscribed by my oncologist, but I was originally on Anastrazole and had to change to Tamoxifen. So they like to make sure they are prescribing me the correct meds to be on the safe side.

bunnylovers

Hi my first prescription written by breast surgeon for 30 tablets. I then visited my Gp before I ran out and he prescribed three months supply without any concern as I confirmed I should be on tamoxifen for 5 years.
mary32

Hi

I have been on tamoxifen since June and my prescription is for 60. I have asked for that to be increased but I only ever see locums and they are reluctant to change it.

However at Asda they have taken my details and say that they will pick up my next prescription from the gp when it is due and text me when it is ready for me to collect, so will see if that works!

Mary

Magical_Moon

Tamoxifen - Repeat prescription

For my first prescription for Tamoxifen I was given 30 tablets by my GP with a repeat prescription slip.

The repeat prescription indicated another 30 tablets which seems stingy. I used to always get three months supply of HRT on a repeat prescription.

I can understand the first prescription of Tamoxifen being only 30 days until you know whether or not the tablets are going to cause an adverse reaction.

For ladies who are taking Tamoxifen, I'd like to ask you how many tablets you are given for each repeat prescription?

Thanks, M