Tamoxifen and DVT

Hi ladies
Been on Tamoxifen since October 2010, I woke up one morning (early December) with severe right leg pains, restricted mobility and fluctuating right sided calf and leg swelling. I made several visits to my local GP’s and was treated for a “soft tissue injury” It wasn’t until three weeks later after I presented myself to my A & E last week after examination I was immediately admitted, “told I had been really lucky” and finally recieved the correct diagnois and treatment for a DVT/PE . A six month course of daily blood thinning injections prior to my discharge I questioned the cause of the DVT and was told by three Senior Medical Staff on duty (including one Proffessor) that my DVT was a direct result of my BC and not the Tamoxifen and I should continue taking my medication daily! Within three days of discharge I had a call from my brilliant BC Nurse who was alarmed that I was still taking Tamoxifen and said that any patient with any form of DVT should never be perscribed Tamoxifen! I am off to see my Ongologist tomorrow to determine the appropriate hormone therapy to work alongside the blood thinners, feeling a bit “disheartened” Wondered if any of you had DVT directly related to Tamoxifen or been in a similar postiition?

Didn’t want to read and not comment, even tho I have no personal experience of dvt. Really sorry to hear what you’ve gone through. My onc told me that dvt was a potential se of tamox and to keep an eye out for it, especially if flying long haul. I think it also says it on the info sheet if I remember correctly. Hope they find u a decent alternative soon .

Hi there

Whilst I was having chemo and started to get short of breath and couldn’t seem to take a big breath in without a stabbing pain in the middle of my back.
After several visits to the hospital and chest x rays etc and being sent home each time, there was one occassion that by the time I had got home I had a message on my phone to say get straight back to the hospital because they had found something.
I automatically thought the worst, but I had developed P.Es on my lungs.
I was told this was a side effect of chemo so was put on warfarin for 6 months.
Because of the risk of clots with tamoxifen, my onc decided to put me on zoladex injections every month.
That was 3 and a half years ago and I perfectly fine now.
Its only when you stop and think how lucky they were to find something
that it scared me, and I can honestly say that I didn’t feel ill with BC until I couldn’t breath with the clots.
Luckily they have found whats wrong and now your onc can give you alternative treatment.
Good luckxxxxxxxxx

In my third month of Tamoxifen I woke up one morning with no vision in half of one eye - lasted about 5 minutes. They put it down to clot or plaque blocking the artery. The unit where I went to have it checked out after the eye department saw nothing wrong with my eye, said to keep on taking the drug and prescribed 75mg aspirin for life.
After numerous tests they could find nothing that could have caused it.

However when I told my surgeon a couple of weeks later at an unrelated appointment, before I’d finished the sentence he said he’d switch me to arimidex. I had had terrible leg and foot cramps as well on Tamoxifen.