cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tamoxifen and Polyps

3 REPLIES 3
Kess

Re: Tamoxifen and Polyps

The risk of womb cancer is worrying, but it's a lower risk for most of us with hormone positive cancer than a recurrence if you don't have hormone therapy of some sort. They do tend to keep a close eye. You did the right thing getting it checked out, and hopefully it will be a benign polyp.
hamley

I had a discharge which I was told could be Tam related (I've been on it for 1.5 years) and went for a transpelvic and transvaginal scan.  I was told I had a slight thicking on the womb and had to go for an hysteroscopy.  I was very worried, but it wasn't too bad at all.  The worst was an endometrial biopsy which was a bit painful, but was only for a few moments.  I was told they are very particular about us ladies who've had breast cancer, but I was reassured at the time of the hysteroscopy to be told there was nothing untoward.  I had to wait a bit longer for the results of the biopsy, but  phoned my GP to get the results asap.

Six months later I had some blood spotting and went through the process again with the same results, they just want to make sure everything's OK.  I understand they can remove polyps at the same time as the hysteroscopy and it can be either local or general.

Try not to worry too much, I know that's easy for me to say, but they're just being very careful to look after us as best they can.

If you have to have an hysteroscopy and/or biopsy, take a couple of pain killers before you go in; they're very talented at telling you after the event!!

Janet_BCC

Hi sarah19728

I'm sorry you haven't had any replies to your post yet.  I wonder if more people might see it if you post in the section "Going through treatment/hormone therapy".  I've attached a link :

http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Hormone-therapy/bd-p/4438

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

sarah19728

Tamoxifen and Polyps

I wonder if anyone can put  my mind at rest. 

I've been on Tamoxifen for 5 years and my Consultant referred me to a gyne "just to check everything was ok" after I had a bit of spotting every now and then.

I saw the gyne last night who did an internal scan and found a polyp but said that this was a side effect of the Tamoxifen (I wish they'd warned me at the start).  My Consultant has told me to keep on Tamoxifen for another 5 years, but there's a 3% chance of cancer of the womb !.

I'm now booked in for the 13 April to have the polyp removed, although I can't remember whether they said under general or local.  He did say that it looked non cancerous but they are taking it out just to be safe.

Am so scared out of my mind, I'm not sure I can face another load of Chemo and am so trying to keep a brave face on this.

If anyone has had this done, was everything ok?

Please help