Tamoxifen and back pain - Stiffness

Hi Ladies,

I’m looking for a bit of support. Over the past few months i have been experiencing stiffness in the lower part of my back, but its mainly when i have been on my feet for too long or get up or bend down. Its not that bad i need to take tablets but it is worrying me. I have spoken to the oncologist and she is quite confident its tamoxifen that is causing it. I had a break for a week and only noticed a slight improvement but have started taking tamoxifen again. Over the winter months i have sat on the floor more (infront of the fire and dont know if that is a cause.) also over the past month i get a strange feeling in my right foot and have to hobble out of bed until i get moving. When i’m sitting on the sofa or in bed my back does not hurt but i would like to know if anyone else has experienced the same?
Please comment
Sukes

hi . i would agree with onc i have had low pains since starting tamoxifen and still have it on aromasin i am nearly 4 years since dx also i found i had bad spasms in my leg on tamox and also when i got up first thing my feet were terrible i was like an 80 years old things did get better but i am not sure it was because i got used to it. hope this helps alittle if you are still worried contact your BCN

annie

Hi Sukes
I have had a pain in my thigh since Christmas.I don’t have to take painkillers for it and i would say it was more discomfort that pain,however it is still there.I mentioned it to Oncologist at my last follow up and she didnt think it had any bearance on breast cancer but sent me off for an x ray anyway.I then got an appt for a bone scan which i had last Monday.I am now in the twighlight world of waiting for the results.I hope your problem is nothing to worry about but i think we need to follow these things up if they have been going on for awhile.I sometimes think we know our bodies best of all,so if you are concerned then i would press for more tests.I hope it is soon resolved for you
Tracey

Hi ladies
thanks for the comments. I will monitor it and see but the fear will never leave.

I all pain started around brand change and although i have gone back to the original brand i still feel the pain now.
sukes

Hi Sukes

I’ve definitely experienced more stiffness since being on tamoxifen particularly in my shoulder. I’ve been having physio but can’t say it’s really helped that much.

Re your foot. Quite a few people have posted previously about getting plantar fascitis. I thought I had that but actually had sustained an achilles injury which makes me hobble first thing. I’ve never had anything like it before.
I would go to your GP and discuss with him/her too.

Your back problem could be related to the way you’ve been sitting. Try to avoid the floor from now on and hopefully after a few weeks you’ll notice a difference.

take care, Elinda x

Hi ladies
I have been on tamoxifen for 18 months now. About 10 days after starting treatment all my joints had started to feel quite stiff specially hands, one shoulder and hip joints. It was shocking to me because I had never had any joint problems in the past. Also experienced muscle stiffness And pain in my legs. The joint stiffness is thought to be due to oestrogen deprivation which makes the joint spaces relatively ‘dry’. I was advised to take codliver oil and glucosamine (big tablets). Took them for a few months but now stopped (too many tablets!). It feels ok when I am working and walking around but gets worse when I am resting in one position. All this has gone better over last few months or may be I got used to this problem!!
Best wishes xxxx

thanks for your comments. Ruhi, similar to yourself when walking and working its not too bad but when in a position for too long ie sitting on floor or sofa it feels stiff.
I too take glucoamine but its the liquid form so just take a swig with the tamoxifen.

I must say thou i did ask on a few other threads about stiff back and the response hasnt been that great so i really appreciate your comments.
Thanks ladies
sukes