Tamoxifen and disappearing periods

Hi Everyone -

I’ve been on Tamoxifen nearly three months now and additionally have a Mirena (which I’ve decided to leave in after conferring with all of my doctors and several nurses).

Given that, it’s not surprising that my periods are getting shorter, lighter etc. Last month was only about 4.5 days which is a big change even from the Mirena adjustment (went down from 8+ day to 6 day periods).

However, this month, I have ALL the symptoms of a period (heavy cramps, bloating, PMT and some vomiting) but no bleeding itself! Aside from being seriously annoying, is this normal? Has anyone else experienced the loss of periods this way - where you feel you have it but you don’t? Keep in mind, I’m 36 and before BC didn’t think I’d be dealing with the onset of menopause for quite some time, so I feel like my body is freaking out a bit!

Thanks in advance.

Hi Nic

I haven’t got a coil but have been on Tam for nearly 2 years now and have most of the "week before " symptoms most months but my periods are between 3 and 4 months apart. I know how you feel. At one point I had severe bloating, cramps and pain for about 6 weeks and convinced myself I had womb cancer!!. I started drinking a pot of yakult each day and stayed away from foods which I thought were causing bloating. Since then, I have been fine apart from nausea, cramps, migraines, weepiness, forgetfulness…everything but sore breasts.

Hope this helps

Debbie
xx

Thanks Debbie - at least I feel like I’m not imagining this now - though it’s making me feel a bit bonkers in general.

All the best!

Nic
x

You are definately not imagining this Nic. I am presently trying to convince my doctor that Tamoxifen can cause really sore joints and cramp. Why is it not listed as a side effect, I wonder? She sat reading side effects for a few minutes then said " No, Tamoxifen does not cause sore joints ". We must all have very active imaginations in that case…Lol

Best wishes
Hope you feel better soon Nic

Debbie
x

You’re not imagining things either Debbie - in fact I noticed this yesterday:

cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=18399#common

Looks like it effects 1 in 4 women!

Hope you’re doing well!
Nic
x

Hi Nic

I’ve been on tamoxifen for 3 years, and I get all the symptoms you express, with little or no bleeding! I can even pinpoint the pain, but I think this may be due to endiometriosis that I already had.

I also go bit psycho too, well not just a bit! Most of the time LOL I just say my head is in the shed!

Lots of love Jeni x

Hi all been on Tamoxifen for 9 months now …have the same as you plus blurred vision …but no periods at all ,I am psycho anyway and was prior to BC so cant blame the Tablets lol :slight_smile:

Thanks Nic

I also have skin rashes and depression so it is nice to know that someone recognises these side effects. Also feel permanently as though I am half asleep but could be anti depresants

Love
Debbie

Hi all had a period start today…the first since taking theTamoxifen …quite a shock as I am 53 and was g hoping that they werent coming back …never mind .
xxxxxxxxxxx