Tamoxifen and headaches

Hi everyone,

I’ve been taking Tamoxifen for 1 month now and for the last 2 weeks I have headaches, but mostly all day for the last 2 or 3 days. Tylenol sometimes work. I understand the benefits of Tamoxifen but if it is to make me feel miserable for the rest of my life, I will give it up.

Anyone with the same experience ?

Sonia xx

Hi I was on arimidex and 10 months in started having heachaches all day every day Two weeks after I stopped taking them the headaches stopped Unfortunately I now have to start taking Femera as I’m 100% estrogen positive so I’m not looking forward to that - hopefully won’t be any side effects!! I do know that my quality of life with the headaches was awful and if the headaches come back with Femera think I’ll just have to take my chances!!
Good luck to you hope all goes well
Kaye

Hi Sonia

My situation is different as I have been suffering with headaches for the past year which are probably linked to me starting menopuase - but started on Tamoxifen 2 weeks ago. Since then my headaches have become worse and my head feels foggy as well. I’m going to try to persevere with it for a couple of months - I’m not sure that’s the right thing to do but I was told it can take 2 or 3 months for side effects to settle.
I’m on quite strong pain killers anyway at the moment for my headaches - prescription co-codamol.

I think it would be worth speaking to your Onc or breast care nurse about this. If it is a case of waiting for a bit to see if side effects settle then you need some decent pain relief.

take care
Elinda x

Hello all,

After talking to the nurse yesterday, it was decided that I stop taking Tamoxifen for about a week and see if the headaches stop. Then, this morning I received a call from the oncologist who said that if the headaches are not gone by next week, he’ll have to do a brain scan. I was in a state of pure panic and fear.

I called the nurse again and she reassured me that they would do a brain scan just as they did all other scans… just to make sure. I am somehow reassured… but still a bit panicky. I’ll go for a walk and breath deep. Might feel better tomorrow.

Byeeeeee,
Sonia xx

Hi Sonia

I had a brain CT scan as I’d been having such bad headaches - it was clear. They want to be cautious and it’s the best way but very scary.

Good luck with it all
Elinda x