366470posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tamoxifen and period

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Tamoxifen and period

Thank you Lu. this is so reassuring. I have always had bad heavy periods and was on the coil for 5 years before I had it taken out before chemo so have forgotten how bad they are. Yes my breast nurse was worried too, but has told me to see how it goes and if I have another (or this one doesn't stop, which is what I'm worried about) I will ring her and the oncologist will see me. I focused so much on 'treatment' being over and forgot that tamoxifen is treatment too.

Hi Melly
I am sorry to read that you are feeling so low, along with the support here our helpliners are on hand for you so please feel free to call. Lines are open today 9-5 (weekdays 9-5 Sat 10-2) on 0808 800 6000

Take care
Lucy BCC

I started tamoxifen in October last year, had no bleeding at all (yay! a positive side effect!!) until March and since then have had painful (never painful before) bleeding for a few days every 2/3 weeks.

I assumed it was still just the tamoxifen settling down but mentioned it to my BCN in passing and she looked horrified. Told me I needed an urgent referral to gyneacology as there is an increased risk of ovarian/womb cancer on tamoxifen and this could be a symptom.

Having had the fear of god put in me I waited nearly two weeks for my scan, then a further week for the results. Absolutely nothing to worry about... phew!

But the gyneacologist did say she had LOADS of women on tamoxifen referred to her for irregular bleeding on tamoxifen and she thinks women should be made more aware that this can be a side effect of tamoxifen.

What I'm trying to say (in a very long winded way!), is that it is probably absolutely nothing to worry about, but you should get it checked out just in case.

Lu x

I am 47. Period heavy and have a stomach ache too. Glad to hear others have had periods. I was always heavy before. Just feel so low and miserable.

Hi my periods also stopped mid way through chemo but started again when I,d finished chemo and began taking tamoxifen. I was also a bit worried but having looked up info online it seems quite normal to have periods while on tamoxifen but get any abnormal bleeds checked out xx

Hello, my periods stopped at chemo, and I had none for 2 and a half years. I was aged 38-41 ish. Last year I had 6 periods over 6 months then nothing again for 5 months and suddenly Ive started them again 2 months ago. I'm nearly 42. How old are you? I discussed it with my oncology team but it can be normal to bleed on tamoxifen as its given to pre-menopausal women. They havent been particularly heavy though, just normal. Ive been on tamoxifen for nearly 3 years.

Hope this helps, xx

Tamoxifen and period

I haven't had a period since half way through chemo in December. I started tamoxifen in March and yesterday started to get awful,period pains and heavy bleeding. I've told my breast nurse and she's looking into it, but a friend has scared me and says it shouldn't happen. Another worry, don't feel like I've stopped worrying since treatment finished, any advice if others have had this May help me. Thanks.