Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tamoxifen and periods

7 REPLIES 7
Lisa_x

Re: Tamoxifen and periods

Hi,
My periods stopped after my 2nd FEC and returned 2 months after starting tamoxifen. I have had zoladex injections monthly since then to shut my ovaries down. The jury seems to be out on whether having both zoladex and tamixifen gives added benefit. There is an ongoing trial and the results should be out at the end if this year. I took the decision to have zoladex as my cancer was aggressive and I'm at high riskorg recurrence. I'll know once I've finished the 2 year course if zolafex if it's added any benefit. A friend of mine chose not to have zoladex after seeing 3 different Oncs that didn't recommend zoladex. As I said, the jury's out on this but it might be worth investigating further/discussing it with your Onc.

All thE best xxxx

Moonbeam1

Thanks ABit Random, that makes perfect sense and is most reassuring, and as long as it does'nt shut the ovaries down then my Tamoxifen side effects may remain small 🙂

Thanks everyone for your experiences, most helpful 🙂
Moonbeam
ABitRandom

I've been on tamoxifen for over a year now. My periods have stayed regular the whole time (age 45 now). The actual period is heavier but shorter than before. I actually don't mind the periods continuing as it means the uterine lining is regularly shed and therefore you are basically not at risk for uterine cancer (rare side affect of tamoxifen).

My Oncologist (one of New Zealand's top breast cancer experts) said tamoxifen affected periods differently. Some women stop, others get irregular, and others no change. As already mentioned, tamoxifen helps prevent oestrogen binding to the breast tissue -it is not meant to shut down the ovaries. My Oncologist said it was designed to work in the presence of functioning ovaries.
My cancer was 100% ER+ and PR+ positive.

kes_1

Hi Moonbeam ..My period stopped on FEC-T and have not yet returned (hopefully it won't ) that was 6 mths ago I'm currently on tamoxifen , however I am 51 yrs of age so this may make a difference ...
Maire

My sister's periods did not stop on chemo or tamoxifen. She was given zoladex injections to stop them.

Zuzy

Hi Moonbeam, as I understand it Tamoxifen doesn't stop your periods, it stops oestrogen binding to cells rather than stopping oestrogen production altogether, from what I've read a lot of people's periods actually start again whilst on tamoxifen even when they've stopped during chemo. i wouldn't be concerned but maybe speak to your BCN and get her to explain it all? Xx
Lucy_BCC

Hi Moonbeam

Whilst you await replies it may help to read the BCC 'Tamoxifen' publication or call our helpline team to talk through your concerns, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Sat on 0808 800 6000, hre's the link to the publication:

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/tamoxifen-bcc20

Best wishes

Lucy

Moonbeam1

Tamoxifen and periods

Just looking for some advice, my onc told me the FEC-T chemo would stop my periods it didn't but I wasn't concerned as I thought the Tamoxifen would, I have now been on Tamoxifen for over two months and still having periods.

Can anyone tell me at which point their periods stopped on the Tamoxifen? Should I be concerned as my bc was ER + ?

Many thanks
Moonbeam