Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tamoxifen and weight gain - anyone lost weight on Tamoxi

26 REPLIES 26
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Tamoxifen and weight gain - anyone lost weight on Tamoxi

I have been on Tamoxifen since January 08 and I have to fight to keep weight on! If I don't really boost up the calories I can lose a pound or more a day - I struggle to find clothes to fit. I make sure I have a good breakfast, some kind of lunch and a full meal at night. Between meals I eat fruit, cakes, chocolate, biscuits etc and even then may lose weight. I am going to ask my consultant if there is a chance my thyroid may have been affected by treatment.

Jo

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi,
I symapthize with you as I'm going through the same weight gain problem. We're going on a cruise next week and I'm dreading it as I've put on so much weight despite going to the gym three times a week and walking Amber 3 to 5 miles 5 days a week.
I'm prepared to give up alcohol completely after the cruise and go vegitarian if that doesn't work after two months then I'm discontinuing the tablets as I'd rather be my previous happy self than the miserable fat person I am at the moment.I've an appointment with my GP tomorrow and I'm going to tell him my intentionss.
I had haoped to take part in the Ben Nevis walk but if I can't get the weight off there's no poin tin my trying.
Moan, Winge,
Gentleninjs

Guest user
Not applicable

I'm new to this, but reading other's comments made me smile at the same time as having a "poor me" moment. I'm sure you'll all know what those are like! I've been looking at the whole tamoxifen and weight gain thing, because I've put on about 2 stone after a year on it and have now had enough! I ran 3 half marathons in the year before diagnosis and walked hundreds of miles through chemo, which is great for your head as well as keeping fit. But now that I'm back working full time I'm just too knackered to do anything like the excercise I used to. Not to mention having sore knees.
Clothes don't fit and it's hardly an enjoyable experience shopping for new stuff when that's the reason.
Changes will have to be made!

Guest user
Not applicable

Ten things you need to know about losing weight, you can find it on BBC i-player. A doc that was on tv this week and simple but it is pretty logical about diet and weight and not patronising, worth a watch.
I think anyone stuggling with increase wieght should have access to a personal trainer/gym on the NHS, in the long term would be cost effective.
I have not put on weight, the reverse in extreme, but that is a prob. in itself and not to be recommended.
I did read that post men. women can produce oestrogen in fat cells, so I suppose the more you have... but conversly pre-men women it is not the case, not that it is good to have too much extra weight at any age.
I think so many of you have been through the mill and really need to be kind to yourselves. There was a thread that Fixbix(think thats the wrong name but close) about going on a diet and she was joined by lots of fellow stugglers, not sure how they are all getting on.
Supporting each other, being non-judgemental, has to be a good thing.
Alicex

Guest user
Not applicable

hi join the club!!!! i have put weight on got a spare tyre, i use that phrase loosely i realy mean a few!!!! since taking tamoxifen for nearly two years now, people say to me that 'i look so well' did i miss the right words i feel like there saying swell!!!!! but hey ho if a bit of weight gain is a very small price to pay for keeping me alive then i'll take it,

Guest user
Not applicable

Galaxy I know what you mean about the sun tops, I have just tried on 4 sun dresses from Next, they will all have to go back, and everyone keeps saying "You look well" I must have looked like hell when I was size ten and had a full head of hair then!

Guest user
Not applicable

I was diagnosed with agressive breast cancer this time last year, my lump was 7cm. I have had my right breast removed and all the lympth glands because most of them had cancer too, had the highest dose of chemo which nearly killed me, and radium which i finished in November 2008. I am now on tamoxifin which is giving me terrible night sweats and sleepless nights. I have put on a stone in weight so Iam feeling like a freak with a big fat tummy and one boob. I am finding it realy hard to find the person I used to be, before this all started. I to am fed up of people saying .....oh you look well,, I am also thinking how terrible did I look before?. How can I look well I can't fit into any of my clothes without rolls of fat pouring out over the top. Can't wear strappy sun tops any more, I know this all sounds selfish but this how I feel, How do I become me again, I dont like being this person Iam now, and I dont just mean the one boob and fat, I mean MEEEE MEEEE,.MEEEEEE. and soon I will have to go to the Job centre to look for work. and thats a big marathon too, because I am right handed I can't do the things I used to, I have always done manual work. so I will have to retrain, I will have to go there and talk to some whipper snapper of about 22 and explain everything to them.

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh well, another thing to feel bad about. I have fat cells (can't avoid it even though they are there in moderation) - seems my hormonal issues in life may cause me more grief than I ever imagined!

PMT, resulting in total temporary amnensia if combined with alcohol 24hrs before a period (took 2 very serious incidents in my life to figure that out), a suicide attempt 24 hours before a period (why was I the only one relieved that I wasn't going mad but it was my hormones?), breast cancer, now I realise that those fat cells (I am only 10 and a half stone) that stare back at me in the mirror are going to have a go too!

Better go and have a glass of wine... oh no! That'll give me bc too!

😞

Guest user
Not applicable

I think fat cells secret oestrogen.

Guest user
Not applicable

HI Lulu,

I think a new thread called weight loss would be perfect...go for it!

I don't understand what you mean't about the oestrogen in fat cells? does it mean that whilst on Tamoxifen i'll be fat for 5 years? OMG, now i'm really depressed 😞

Foxy x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Foxy. I'm debating how best to lose weight after chatting to my oncologist about oestrogen in fat cells. I go back and see him in July and really want to show him I'm serious about losing some weight.

Perhaps a new thread for weight loss?

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies,

I can relate to how you all feel about weight gain.. I just want my old figure back and have now decided that I might have some lipo suction, but need some advice if anyone has any? Or would I bet better off using the money for a personal trainer 3 x a week?

Help!

Many thanks
Foxy

Guest user
Not applicable

I lost weight while taking tamoxifen. I avoided eating the chocs, caked etc at my cancer support group and as my consultant had said I'd lose weight (complete rubbish) it put me off my food.

Then I put it all back on again, and I am now losing it again through biking. Last sunday I did 40 miles over hill and dale in deepest Essex. I was diagnosed over five years ago though

Mole

looking_lovely

Hi everyone,I'm sorry I can't help you with a solution because I have the opposite problem,have been losing weight ever since starting Tamoxifen,it gives me gastritis.After a year I am now down to about my optimum weight and finding it very difficult not to continue to lose weight
could this be an allergy to one of the ingredients?I have even given up taking it because of the side effects ,which I never thought I would even consider,but at this rate my chances of survival will be better if I can digest a good meal

mairead

I went to docs about 2 months ago to ask for slimming pills and he said that he wouldnt give me anything as im on hormone therapy. I didnt know about alli then, i too would like to know if you can take this while on hormone therapy as if you can ill go straight to the chemist lol! x

Guest user
Not applicable

Is Ali safe to take then with breast cancer.

Guest user
Not applicable

yes me but what the hell after we have gone through - I do a lot of walking cut down on meal sizes, wine well no cos i love it . but i cant shift the extra pounds . so i have learnt to cope with it good luck to you all

Guest user
Not applicable

I am on Nolvadex - I changed from generic Tamoxifen but I don't think it's made any difference. I can't take Ally as my BMI is 22.5 and you need a BMI of 28 to be prescribed it or buy it over the counter I think - otherwise I would certainly take it!
It's goood to know people have lost weight despite this drug.

Guest user
Not applicable

HI Have been on Tam since Dec07, put on 2 stone during my treatment. It has taken me a year to lose 1 1/2 stone ... only 1/2 to go. I have increased my five a day to 8 a day have no sugar and follow a low fat diet . In the last 6 month I have increased exercising , now cycle and swim . All this also seems to help my hot flushes as well.
Good luck with your weight loss
xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

hi im on tamoxifen,i put on over a stone when first dx,but it wasnt the tamoxifen,it was all the boxes of chocolates i ate from well wishers after surgery,ive joined a slimming club and lost 8lbs up to now,but ive got a long way to go yet.

orangecat

Hi all,

Met a lovely lady about a month ago who after being on Tamoxifen for 5 years had put on 3 stone! Her GP prescribed her Alli and she lost the lot in 6 months. From what I can gather it prevents you from absorbing some of the fat you eat, you are limited to 15 gms of fat per meal, 3 meals a day and if you eat more than this you get the runs!!! and really bad wind!
I have been trying to keep my fat intake down to 15gms a meal and I have definitley lost weight. Not sure i want to take anymore pills but I might mention it next time I see my Doc. if I can't shift all my excess blubber.

Kat x

Guest user
Not applicable

I have managed to loose weight whilst on tamoxifen. So far I have lost half a stone. I put on about 3/4 of a stone after dx and during chemo so have nearly shifted that. Aiming for another half a stone loss.

Not doing anything in particular except have taken up running and cut down on the alcohol. For me I think my weight gain came from sitting on my ar*e all day and drowning my sorrows as well as the chemo steriods.

Hopefully the weight loss will continue and tamoxifen won't have an effect - I have been on it since 10th March.

mairead

Hi,

I have put on about 2 stone and i get terrible side effects. I have just started Novaldex D so im hoping that things are going to change. Ill let you know....fingers crossed!

Emily x

Kindensurprise

I'm the same. Recently went on a holiday where I walked 10 miles a day for a week and didn't stop for lunch, and not an ounce had shifted on my return.

If anyone finds a solution, let me know too!!

Kinden
x

judyw47

Hi Starflower

I have also put on a stone, joined a gym (and went on the equipment) eaten 1000 calories a day and nothing will shift it.

Its so depressing, I guess my next step is joining a slimming club. I feel I need to eat plenty to feel well. Tamoxifen makes me feel ghastly so its a vicious circle.

Best wishes Judy

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Starflower,

sorry to hear you're having fun with weight gain. If you find a solution, I would like to know about it.

Am on Tamoxifen (Nolvadex) since end July last have put on more than 30 pounds that's metric but try not to be depressed - never put an ounce on during FEC or Rad's.

Before you take anything and I would say in particular LAXATIVE speak to your GP or Oncologist as it could mess up your TAM.

Sorry, haven't found a solution yet keep trying to stay positive.

Yours truly
Hel

Guest user
Not applicable

Tamoxifen and weight gain - anyone lost weight on Tamoxi

Has anyone lot weight on Tamoxifen? I am very depressed as I have put on a stone.