Tamoxifen and weight gain

Hi All,

I’ve now been on tamoxifen for a year and having another 4 to go I’m concerned that I am now putting on quite a lot of weight.

I’m 32 and have struggled with my weight before diagnosis and despite not putting on anything during my treatment, I hate the fact that I am now keeping alot around my tummy especially.

I’m keen to loose weight and am thinking about joining weight watchers as its starting to get me down but I don’t want to do this if its not going to be successful.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I’d love to hear from anyone in the same situation.

Tracey x

Hi Tracey,

I have been on tamoxifen now for a year and a half. Didn’t have any side effects whatsoever during the first year on it.
Then it ALL hit!!
Weight gain, night sweats, mood swings, joint pain - the whole lot.
Periods were normal for first while then down to one every 3 months then I had nothing for 6 months.

I felt so bad that I took the matter into my own hands and stopped the drug at the beginning of June - knowing that I would go back on it again - only off it 10 days when I had a period and felt the bloated feeling leave almost immediately. Have lost 6 pounds in weight so far.

At the beginning of the year I only had to look at food and the weight went on (right round my middle mostly). Don’t know about the weight watchers thou - maybe a few of the ladies on here could help - I thought I had read somewhere that if you were on tamoxifen then it would just be a waste of money going to WW as it was the drug that kept the weight on and not the amount you ate - but not sure about that one.

I have a review appointment with my onc in 2 weeks so I guess he will say to get back on it asap - but until then I am enjoying my wee break off it!

Kim x

Hi Tracey and Kim

I had a thought when reading your posts. Has your chemist given you a different brand of Tamoxifen? Could this account for the sudden weight gain after over a year of taking it? - Just a thought. I’m slim and put on about 5-6lbs with tamoxifen. I’ve been on it 4 years. Recently I’m back at my pre dx weight - nothing conscious but I think I’m drinking less beer (didn’t drink a lot before though) and I think I’m eating a bit less.
Good Luck both of you.
Fantan