Tamoxifen ankle pain

Hi all,

Haven’t been on here for a while but need some help with the latest set of side effects from Tamoxifen. Today I woke up with a banging migraine I took 2 sumatriptan and finally the headache with the sickness went away but when I went to get out of bed I couldn’t walk anywhere my feet and ankles feel like someone has been hitting them over and over again with a sledge hammer the pain was so bad I literally crawled to the toilet, good job we live on one floor. Does anyone else suffer with this type of pain and side effects from Tamoxifen I’ve been on it since Sept 2011 so a little over 2 years I’m supposed to be on it for 5 years but I’m not sure I can keep taking it with these terrible side effects, not being able to walk is just one side effect too far!!The other tamoxifen side effects I suffered from are extreme weight gain of 5 stone for the first time in my life. Everytime I tell my onc about these things they just say there’s nothing they can do about it as I’m not through the menopause yet. I honestly am considering stopping it unless they can come up with something more manageable. I’m on herceptin for life but don’t suffer any side effects on this drug. Any advice anyone???

bump

Hi Sarah, yes to everything you mentioned. :smileyfrustrated: Something that helps if you have the painful backs of ankle pain I had. Before getting out of bed, lay flat on your back, legs outstretched so you can feel the mattress on the backs of your knees.

Keeping legs still pull toes up towards you, gently, 4 or 5 times. You’re gently stretching the  ligaments. Sounds a silly little exercise but it helped me with the painful hobble to the bathroom on waking.

I put on 4 stone while on Tamoxifen. I did lose it all when Tamoxifen stopped working for me and I’m now 4-5 dress sizes smaller than when I was at my heaviest. My advice is don’t beat yourself up about the weight gain it’s not your fault. I became a little bit clever with pretty scarves that could be drapped, tied to distract and disguise. How about an appointment with the pain clinic at your hospital to see if they have something effective and fast acting for the migraines? Take Care…x