Tamoxifen - first period in 2 years

Hi. I was diagnosed with ER+ 8/8 in March 2013. I had chemotherapy first then surgery and started tamoxifen in September 2013. My periods stopped around the time of my 2nd chemo.

In February this year I had very light spotting (brown) that lasted around 2 days. In March (pretty much 4 weeks later) I had the same maybe slightly heavier. In April, again around 4 weeks later I had a really heavy period for 2 days. All fine again. This is how my periods used to be (although not has heavy as the April period).

My concern is that as I was strongly ER positive, should I be concerned that the Tamoxifen isn’t working or is this just my body returning to normal.

Anyone with any experience of this? I will ring my BC nurse but when I spoke to them in March they said not to worry as it did sound like my period was coming back (I’m now 43) and only to be concerned if it was unexplained bleeding for a long period Outside of the cycle.

Is this worry never ending? Not helped by me watching the C Word at the weekend as I’m having serious wobbles again!

Thanks for reading and I hope someone out there give advise.

Kind Regards

Diana

Hi Diana,

Totally with you on the feeling this is never ending.

Like you my periods stopped on my 2nd Chemo, although returned a year later! My Oncologist immediately booked me in for an ultrasound scan! The issue isn’t that them returning means the Tamoxifen isn’t working, their concern is Tamoxifen can cause thickening to the womb lining. So they like to keep an eye on any unexplained bleeding! Yours does sound like its come back gradually, and already quite settled. Mine came back with 3 days of VERY HEAVY bleeding. I actually ended up anaemic.

Anyway I think speaking to your BCN is a good idea, as although it probably is just your periods returning. They might want to keep an eye. Although it seems to vary from hospital to hospital. I went through a hysteroscopy to check what was going on. All was fine!

Although unlike you my periods have been all over the place since returning! So not really sure what’s going on, but hoping that eventually I’ll get my body back, to some sort of normality!

Good Luck. Xxx

Thanks Nanny_Sal for responding. I’ve left a message for my BC nurse to ring me. The thought of having to go back in for any assessments fills me with dread but better that than the alternative of something else going on.

I hope you are well.

Take care xxx

Hi Nanny_Sal. I’ve just spoken to my BC nurse and explained what had happened. She said that as it has been slowly returning over the last 3 month and a regular 4 weeks in between then that is fine and actually having your period back is a good thing and does not mean the tamoxifen isn’t working. She then went on to explain how estrogen/progesterone works but I wasn’t good at biology so a lot went over my head :-). However I was reassured by the fact that she wasn’t just saying “don’t worry you’re fine”.

I asked about the Zolatex injections that other ladies seem to take when their periods return. She went to speak to the ONC to see what he said but he has advised they wouldn’t give it in my situation as they would normally use for younger ladies who maybe later want ro conceive. May do a little bit more research on that as I’ve read other ladies are on it if pre menopausal. All hospitals seem to be different which doesn’t help but I do feel less worried. My BC nurse is fabulous so I suppose we need to trust our care team :slight_smile:

Diana xxx

My concern around the Tamoxifen not working isn’t a concern

From what I’ve read it does take a bit to settle down when your period returns. Hope yours settles down soon and thank you for listening to me. Xxx