Tamoxifen nightmare

Hello… Feeling pretty low right now and just wondered what people’s thoughts and experiences were regarding tamoxifen. Back in February I had a first ever routine mammogram long story cut short found bc had lump removed and 2 lymph nodes followed by 15 sessions of radiotherapy then put on tamoxifen. I thought I’d got away with this lightly… The first month I didn’t have a period I’m 52 by the way and peri menopausal then on May 8th had a period and have been bleeding every single day since. I’ve had a biopsy taken of uterine wall and surgery to have polyps removed then sent off to be tested. I’ve had 2 hysteroscopies. I’m in a bit of a mess really they took me off tamoxifen in August and have now decided to give me a full hysterectomy, which I’m having done a week Friday. I have had 2 zolidex injections to try and shrink the womb slightly and stop the bleeding. The bleeding seems to have got worse again, I’m now anaemic just to top it all, feeling so scared and fed up. 

So thinking I had had a lucky break with the bc and to have had it found from routine mammogram I’m now not feeling so lucky. My beautiful wonderful mum passed away too a year before my diagnosis so struggling with this too. 

anyone else have awful tamoxifen experiences? 

Sara

Forgot to mention… All biopsy results came back fine.

Hi Saraann

havnt got any advice, but hoping you are ok and the hysterectomy goes well

Don’t know if this counts as a Tamoxifen experience or not! I went through the menopause 6 years ago, diagnosed with breast cancer this summer, and was prescribed Tamoxifen. After 3 days I had an episode of bleeding, which triggered an urgent 14 day referral as post menopausal bleeding is a symptom of endometrial cancer. The biopsy showed the lining of the womb was abnormal, should be less than 4mm but mine was 7 mm. Because by then I’d had the Tamoxifen about three weeks the gynecologist doesn’t know whether it is due to the Tamoxifen already or if it is a sign of cancer or atypical hyperplasia, which is high risk to become cancerous.

So at the moment I’m waiting for biopsy results, may have to have a hysterectomy if it is abnormal. And I don’t know if I will have the Tamoxifen stopped, depending on the result.

But the gynecologist said if I continued with the Tamoxifen it was highly likely to keep on happening.

And it’s not like the hysteroscopy and biopsy process is much fun is it?

But with both of us it’s possible the Tamoxifen maybe kicked off a problem we already had?