cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tamoxifen side effects.

11 REPLIES 11
Bibi44

Re: Tamoxifen side effects.

Apparently you're at less risk of heart attacks, high cholesterol & osteoporosis. Doesn't cheer u up much when you feel rough though does it? Not sure about the flushes going with time.  I only really have mine in the evening when I'm watching tv (not if I go out though...strange) & they aren't too bad.  I do a lot of exercise & eat really healthily, which is also supposed to make the flushes less ferocious.  Jill has suggested changing the time you take it, which has worked for some. xx

Andie72

Oops don't know what happened there. Do these sweats get worse or better the longer you take tamoxifen? Finished rads in August and had sweats but nothing as bad as this. I don't feel clean my joints are all sore apart from protecting you from bc is there any pluses to tamoxifen?

Andie72

ddd

Butterfly318

Evening Ladies

I did 2 years on Tamoxifen and really struggled with side effects.  Swopped my quilt for a 1 TOG... bought knicker magnet and chill pillow.   Both were helpful.  Did get excrutiating joint pains and bad headaches.  Now changed on to Letrazole due to being post menopausal.  Side effects not much different, bit of sickness as well.

The only thing i can say is definately not recommended to take sage of BC was hormone related and i took my meds in the evening before bed for a long time.  I now take it in the morning and this is definately better.  I then get on with my day / work etc.  I find swimming helps the joint pain / stiffness.

I also stopped coffee / spicy food / alcohol as i found the hot sweats following these intolerable....  I was lucky enough recently to take part in a 'Perform at your Peak' workshop which included a 4 day monitor looking at sleep pattern which was really poor following computer / i pad / phone work after 9pm  (this is due to something called Blue Light).  The monitoring was repeated with no computer / phone contact after this time.  The results were astounding and my sleep quality much improved.

Hope this is helpful and that your side effects reduce / settle.

Take Care   Butterfly.x         

Roo2

Hi

i have found taking a frozen hot water bottle to bed wrapped in a tea towel has been a life saver. I just hug it when a flush comes on and cools me down quickly to go back to sleep.

Runningfree

Hi

started tamoxifen end of April and have really struggled with night sweats

sage was useless, fan helps- what I do is put it on a couple of hours before bedtime and then turn it off due to noise when I go up

2 days ago I remembered my mum had a wool duvet so went and nicked it

CAUTIOUSLY OPTIMISTIC

whats worrying me is this past month I've had several episodes of severe headaches with a sudden bout of vomiting. Don't know whether to blame tamoxifen or herceptin as both have them listed as SE.

ann-m
Community Champion

Hi all,

Just a small point, I read somewhere that a natural wool filled duvet is better for night sweats as it ventilates the body better than feather down or other fillings. I bought a light one & have found it more comfortable. 

ann x

Charys
Community Champion

Ahhhhh, now it's earplugs you need......seriously......I can't have a fan on at night without them. Boots aren't the cheapest but they do a box of 20 of those pink foam cylindrical ones. 

i just wish someone could say ' 2 more weeks' and the side effects will be gone.....I know nobody can....but it would help to cope wouldn't it with all the odd bodily changes and symptoms. 

X

catchpole

Update i do have fan on before i get into bed but its too noisy to leave on all night. Bought water sprays today,.keeping small one in my bag, and one by my bed. Decided to take tamoxifen after evening meal maybe helped slightly. Its better now its not so humid but seems that humidity might return at weekend, Looked at sage to take but then read it could push up your oestrogen . so decided not to take it.  O well i guess i will have to live with 2 menopauses,.  My poor friend who is 50 is suffering from her first one.  she was considering HRT but was with me when the Oncologist told me that my BC was caused by HRT and definitely not to take it. He was so emphatic she wont consider it now,.he told her she would be mad if she did. I usedto feel great on it  now sem to have more aches and pains.  Cant help wondering as i took it so long,. as i had an ear;ly menopause, and im petite, weigh 7 stone and 4ft 11. did i overdose on it.  Amazing something that made you feel youttful and lively could be bad for you..

Charys
Community Champion

I have IBS taking tamoxifen too. I am currently trying two pots of live yoghurt each day, though you can buy probiotic tablets at the health food store. I read on here I think, someone saying that a gut bacterial imbalance can cause IBS to appear or get worse if you already have it. I have had some success with this, maybe worth a try as its totally natural? Also, part of IBS in post menopausal women, or those on tamoxifen, has been attributed to an inability to process fats in the same way leading to fast gut movement. I know you said you are at a good weight and active, is there any way you could perhaps try less fat and increase calories in another way?

I'm not medical in any shape or form, but am trying to find my way through it in the early stages.

As for the night sweats, (which I have had the last two nights for the first time!!!) what about a fan in the room, just keeping the air moving can make a big difference.

Charys x

Lizzy_BCC

Hi Catchpole, 

I am sorry you are going through this difficult time and are experiencing these side effects. I am sure some of our users will be along soon to show their support. 

In the meantime please do call our helpline at 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk to you about Tamoxifen and talk through any questions you may have. The opening hours are below. 

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday 9am-7pm,
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

catchpole

Tamoxifen side effects.

Im a breast cancer survivor from  last year so dont come on here much now.  I was very lucky my lump was found early, well i found it just before my mammogram was due, i had lumpdectomy, node removal, only first was affected but all went, and rads, no chemo., Am on tamoxifen and to be honest the side effects seem tp have got worse over the year.  I was on HRT for years oncologist said probably caused my BC, so possibly im having memopause all over again too. i started taking it at 41 as had early one like my mum, who sufferred severe osteoporosis. didnt stop till cancer was discovered, I rarely get a full night sleeps cause of night sweats. i get em during day as well, i seem to have achey limbs,IBS all sorts.  My friend sufferring the actual menopause said try the health shop she goes to they reccomended stuff which helped her, but im wary of taking anything with even natural oestrogen in them and i dont want to take any more medicine if i can avoid it., Im a pretty fit person for someone in 60s, never smoked, not overweight. walk a lot,  and heart,lungs etc.all fine.  Can anyone suggest alternative therapy they are taking, that has helped them, i mostly need to make the night sweats less.One menopause was enough, i dont want two.  Also is there anything that you can do to lessen night sweats, im single so have a double bed to myself and sleep in  nude anyway windows on latch but live in  a city ground floor flat  so cant have them wide open and would love to find a natura;l way to cool down.June