Tamoxifen v Ovaries out & Letrozole

My periods stopped during chemo March 06 after chemo & radiotherapy was put on Letrozole (Aug 06). Had a period for the first time in March this year and was put onto Tamoxifen. Have all the symptoms cramps, pmt etc but don’t have a period every month.

Went to see the gynaecologist on 8 Aug as i have been given the choice of having ovaries removed and going back onto Letrozole. I know Tamoxifen has been around for a long time but also that Letrozole is a new one with better results. Does anyone know what the percentage rate is between the two? Want to find this out before deciding. Would be on Tamoxifen for the next 5 years possibly, would i be reducing my chances by not having ovaries removed and going onto newer tablets?

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Elaine

hi Elaine, i think it might be a good idea to talk to your BC nurse who would be able to advise you better
Alisonxxx

Hi Elaine

Can I suggest you give the BCC helpline a call to talk this through. Here you are able to talk in confidence about your concerns and the trained member of staff will be able to answer your questions and offer you a listening ear. The number is free phone 0808 800 6000 and the line is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and Saturdays 9am to 2pm.

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards

Sam
BCC Facilitator