Tamoxifen - when did hot flushes start

I’ve been taking tamoxifen for just over a week now. I’m interested in knowing when people started to get hot flushes and how often. So far my only side effect has been a bit of upset stomach and bloating in the evening but even that’s got better over the days.

Hi Keyfeatures.
Mine pretty much started from the off, although I think I’d started to have them at the end of Chemo anyway, so I’m not sure exactly.
My doctor said that the first three months are the worst for side effects and it starts to settle after that. Fingers crossed you won’t get and and will be fine :slight_smile: x

Hi keyfeatures
Ive been on Tamoxifen since September 2011. My hot flushes started midway through my 6 cycles of chemo, before I even started on Tamoxifen. They have continued and are just as bad now, 11 months after starting it!!!
Mandy xx

Everyone is different - we should all just wait and see, so many ‘scare’ stories!

Almost immediately!! xx

It started about 3rd session of chemo which stopped my periods (that was May 2011 not been seen since) and started the tamoxifen in Oct 2011, the hot flushes started before starting tamoxifen around the time my periods stopped I am now in early menopause (age 43) as a result of chemo/tamoxifen/herceptin. To start with the hot flushes were terrible and very very severe probably because they had been induced by the cocktail of drugs so not a natural menopause but after about 5 months they started to calm down and now I am on something called clonidine which has helped a lot and calmed them down to virtually no flush, if you suffer with hot flushes I would recommend on your next visit to oncologist to mention them and see what they prescribe for you I did a list on my blog about various drugs/anti depressants that are used to combat the hot flushes and sweats here’s the link if your interested http://survivingthebeastwithin.blogspot.co.uk/p/hormonal-treatments-and-herceptin.html. As with everything it appears that we all react differently to drugs/treatments and you might be one of the lucky ones that has no side effects I really hope you don’t suffer cause its not very nice. Hope this helps. If you want a chat please send me a pm as I don’t come on this site very much anymore due to difficulties I am experiencing trying to respond to posts etc its not as good as the old site.
sending you love and light
sarahlouise xx