Tamoxifen

Hi.  I am currently taking tamoxifen following breast cancer and recovery from secondary brain tumour.  My periods stopped during chemo and I haven’t had any since.  However the other day I had some spotting.  Now I am being referred for tests but I have read tamoxifen can cause this.  Just wondering if anyone else has had anything similar?  Olives

Hi Olive

Welcome to the forum sorry you have to be here but it always helps to share with other ladies who are going through what you are going through. Sorry you have not heard from anyone but weekends are always quiet.

Tomoxifen does mess with periods as do most chemo’s. I remember when I had my primary 20 years ago it cleared my periods up altogether so don’t worry too much about spotting but your medical team will get it sorted they are the ones to listen to but I am sure someone will be along to share with you their experience. Until then I am sending you (((hugs))) let us know how you get on xxx

Hello olives
I’m sorry but I don’t have any answers either but wonder if you might repost under hormone therapies …lots of ladies there that might be able to help you. Tamox always seems to be a big topic of posts !!
Hugs xxx

Hi.  Thanks both.  I have now also posted under hormone treatment thread.  There is loads of info there so just keeping fingers crossed nothing bad.  Due to go on holiday in five weeks as well which is causing me to worry even more.  Olives

Hi, I’m also on tamoxifen and it didn’t stop my periods , they were coming every 5 wks without fail but then last month I had spotting then a period after 3 wks, so they are sending me for a scan just to be sure as tamoxifen carries a risk of endometrial cancer. I think and hope that in my case it’s probably the menopause messing with my periods (I’m nearly 52) but best to be sure! Xx

<Empty imported post>

I am struggling with the side effects of tamoxifen. With itchy skin mostly on my face. It did come up in a rash from my chest upwards and the doctor gave me steroid cream and said was excema. It did go away but the itching is back. Also with pain in my lower back , hips and ankles. Anyone else have this? I don’t know how to post generally! Another brand any better. I am in wockhardt. Thanks

Hi, I had one period at the start of my Chemo in Feb 2012 then they stopped. a year later I had a period and therefore referred to Women’s health unit. They did a scan and said everything was clear and that if it happened again they would do a hysteroscopy. A period happened again roughly five months later and did more tests and again clear. Bleed again about nine months later and went through similar tests and was clear. I am post menopausal but the Gynaecologist says with everything that’s happened to my body the normal bio rhythm get alters and sometimes your body has a period. I only became post menopausal because of the chemotherapy especially as I had chemotherapy when I was 20 for non Hodgkin’s lymphoma. I still need to get any bleed or spotting checked our but I hope this might reassure you that sometimes it’s not always bad news.

Big hugs Michele

Oh I forgot to say I have been taking Tamoxifen since July 2012 and will be taking it up to five years then my oncologists wants me on let rookie. My breast cancer was er+ and think it might have occurred due to the radiation I had for my non Hodgkin’s lymphoma .

Hi.  I also had ultrasound last week.  They couldn’t see anything wrong but still say I need a hysteroscopy as if you have a bleed on tamoxifen it just seems to be required.  Made me feel the ultrasound was a bit of a waste of time and they should just refer straight for hysteroscopy in my view to cut down wait and worry time.  I am going on holiday in three weeks and now unlikely my travel insurance will cover me for gynae issues as may not know outcome.  Does anyone know how long you wait for test on NHS and how much discomfort and bleeding there is afterwards? 

Oh when you do have the hysteroscopy I recommend if you don’t have any sedation ( I didn’t ) is have paracetamol, ibuprofen and you may even need codeine as it was a bad cramp pain. I finished it off with a glass of wine ?. If you feel nervous I know you can have some sedation but you will need someone with you then. 

Hi.  I did get referral within two weeks but they only did ultrasound at that and now on another wait for hysteroscopy.  Have told travel Insurers who have put down as medical condition of ‘post menopausal bleed’ and have declined cover as waiting tests so looks like may have to go abroad with no medical cover for this if don’t get test results in time.  All a bit confusing and worrying on top of worry about test results.  Does anyone know how quickly biopsy results come through after taken? Sorry for all questions but in a bit of a panic at the moment as just don’t know what to do about holiday which has been planned for months on basis of good scan results and is quite a big one.  Olives

Hi Kiki2.  I am still waiting for my apt so also looks like I will be going away without results but determined to make most of my holiday like you.  Good luck for tomorrow. Hope all goes ok. X

Hi. My consultant was also gynae oncology but I think it’s just a precaution so they can check you out.  I have read a lot of other posts where people have been fine so we just have to hope for the best.  Fingers crossed for you. xx

Whoops. Sounds like you and I are in the same boat at the moment.  Lets both go away and try to enjoy ourselves as much as possible and deal with everything else when we get back! xx

Yes, I agree about chasing, if you know the cons name, you can ask to speake to his secretary…thats what I do .

just to add, I was on Tamx for two years whilst on a double blind trial in the early 200’s and the reason I knew it was Tamox was because I had spotting…and i was  way past menopause…they used to do reg ultrasounds, but at my hosp never did a hysteroscopy…it must niw be a routine thing. Good luvk with it.

best eishes Moujanx

Hi. Spoke to Consultants secretary. Apparently there are delays due to sickleave and holidays.  I have been waiting six weeks now after initial apt with consultant and ultrasound scan.  Sec still couldn’t give me a date. Is it worth calling my BCN with my concerns even though she is not involved in gynae dept or should I just carry on waiting. Never really had a problem like this before so not sure how I can get things moved on. Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated.

Hi Nic. Good to hear from you. Hope you enjoyed your holiday. Fingers crossed results come back all ok.  I have managed to speak to my BCN who has found out that I may be fitted in on Sunday. Apparently they have a back log but will have to do me soon otherwise the hospital will incur a fine for missing deadline. Anyway still waiting for confirmation so wouldn’t be surprised if it is moved again!  It’s nine weeks since the bleed I had so perhaps it’s normal to wait this long. Just want to get it done and get results now. At my hospital they insist on giving you a general to do a hysteroscopy so maybe this is what is causing delay. I would be happy to have it without just to get results quicker. Hope your results come through quickly. Sarah