Tamoxifen

Hi I’ve been on Tamoxifen for 10 years and 4 months , it was hard the first year but after that it’s been brilliant for me . I had a grade 4 tumour on my chest wall at 33 yrs it had spread to all my lymph glands so had them removed breast removed and chemotherapy and radiotherapy for a year , also had herceptin … I’ve seen Dr Kelly for 10 years who was a fantastic oncologist who’s sadly died last year and his last words were I have beaten all odds really so if I’m happy staying on tamoxifen it’s doing me more good than bad at the moment , as there’s not a lot of trials that have run for ten years on tamoxifen its new ground ! But I can tell you I feel great and will carry on taking this drug for as long as needed . I have a lot of faith in the longer I’ve used this drug the healthier I’ve been .

Kind regards
Debbie

Hi Debbie.
WOW!
xx

Thanks, Debbie.

Its so good to see such a positive post. Understandably, the problems get posted which can be anxiety provoking, as it was for me, before I started it.

I’m 9 months in now, with no problems & have been recommended to stay on it for 10 years, which I am certainly happy to do. I also like that it is protective of bone & cardiovascular health. I do have the option of going onto anastrazole, but unless my diagnosis changes - if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

thanks again

ann x

That’s brilliant Debbie, I started taking tamoxifen in September and I’m hoping my problems settle quickly the first few months for me where fine the odd flush here and we there but bearable. I’ve had previously suffered gyne problems so I’m hoping it’s just my body readjusting.
The trouble with me is I panick at everything now but it’s great to read positive things about tamoxifen treatment
Lv Clair xx

Debbie

I am like Clair, started in November 2016, I have not had massive side effects, those I have had are totally manageable and this time of the year having hot flushes is a bonus when it is so cold :)  I am on it for 5 years and was initially supposed to be on letrozole but because I have osteoporisis in the spine, albeit it not a lot, it was felt by my oncologist that Tam would be better as it is kinder to the bones. 

Had a few constipation issues in the early days but that seems to have sorted itself out.

Wonderful to hear of your positive experience on it

Helena xxx