Tamoxifen

Hi,

I have been prescribed to take tamoxifen for about 10 years.  I am really confused whether to take it or not as it will stop my period and chances of getting pregant will be slim.  Anyone on here did not take tamoxifen?  Or did you take and got periods / and were able to get pregnant?

I feel stressed and really don’t know what is right, as I want to do anything to prevent from getting cancer again. Please help x

Hi Zahra

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums where I am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

While you are waiting for replies I have put for you below links to a couple of BCC’s publications you might find helpful.  Also our helpline staff are at hand to talk you through anything that may be concerning you.  Calls to the helpline are free 0808 800 6000 lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/tamoxifen-bcc20

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/younger-women-breast-cancer-bcc66

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi Zahra

Firstly Tamoxifen won’t necessarily stop your periods. Chemo stopped my periods and they are now back, although I was happier wihout them. As for having children, although you shouldn’t attempt to get pregnant while taking tamoxifen. Tamoxifen won’t stop you having children. I think some Oncologists will discuss you taking the tamox for 2 years and then having a break to start a family, if that’s what you want. Definitely discuss it with your BCN or Oncologist. But if your BC was hormone receptive you would be taking a big risk in not taking the tamoxifen.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. But remember the doctors are there to answer all your questions, so if something is worrying you, ask them about it. Xx

Hi I have just read this and wanted to cry!!! I have to have tamoxifen for ten years also as 33 and just having chemo and herceptin for triple pos BC and have had to face the fact that I won’t be having a family- fertility etc was a limited discussion.
I do have horrendous periods (just waiting to see if chemo rids of them for a few months!) and really hoped an anti hormonal may help me in way of my pmt and migraines- when I asked my BC nurse she said maybe not… And there is was thinking there must surely be a positive to all of this!!! Do you get any pmt or menstrual probs aside of having a general period?
Many thanks for advice x

Please discuss your fertility issues with your breast care team. I don’t think you need necessarily rule out children. My sister had breast cancer at 32. Her surgeon agreed that she could take Tamoxifen for 2 years, which she did and then became pregnant on completion of her 2 years. It has by no means been an easy road for her. She had dcis in her other breast and had to have a mastectomy which has left her with nerve damage. She has now been diagnosed with a local reccurance in her other breast 16 years after her first diagnosis. But if you were to ask her, I have no doubt she’d say it has been worth it for the gift of her second daughter.

Her initial cancer was aggressive and had spread to the lymph nodes so stopping tamoxifen after 2 years was a risk. But it just goes to show, there’s no ‘one size fits all’ in this game.

Really wishing you all the best with your journey.

Hi Danmac

Along with the support here please feel free to call our helpliners to talk through the problems you are experiencing, I am also posting a couple of links to information about fertility and breast cancer in case you haven’t seen it and our team will be happy talk through any fertility concerns with you :

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/fertility-issues-breast-cancer-treatment-bcc28

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/impact-breast-cancer/pregnancy-fertility-menopause

Helpline 0808 800 6000
Weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2

Take care
Lucy BCC