Taping

Can anyone tell me what to expect?? I am returning to the lymph nurse of Friday as the sleeve I was fitted with is causing my hand to swell (no previous swelling there) My arm has also become very sore as a result of wearing the sleeve (feels bruised) so the nurse has suggested taping. What does she mean? Can anyone enlighten me??

Viv xx

Hi Viv

Taping actual means putting Kinesio Tape on specific areas. It looks just like wide elastopast but the theory is that it specially designed to lift the skin and allow the lymph fluid to move and drain more easily. I have mild LD in my forearm with a specific pocket of fluid on the inside just above my wrist. The LD nurse has used a piece of tape leaving one end intact and cutting the other into strips, she has placed the solid piece just below my elbow and the ‘tails’ down towards and over the lump/pocket. Depending on where they are trying to move the lymph fliud they have lots of taping patterns. Google Kinesio and you will find lots of info. It is also used by sportsmen, my LD nurse delighted in telling me that David Beckham uses it.

She may want to do a patch test first because some people are allergic to the tape.

Nothing to worry about. Let us know how you get on

Andie

Hi Andie

Like you I have a pocket of fluid on the inside of my wrist running up to my forearm. How long does the tape stay in place for?

Viv x

Viv

They say the tape can stay in place for between 3 and 5 days. I find that 4 is about the limit for me. The ends of the 'tail’bit start lifting and although I gently cut them away they just lift further up.You can get it wet in the bath or shower and it dries quite quickly, although when it was very hot recently my skin perspired quite a bit and it lifted off. My LD nurse did it once and now we do it at home. My PCT won’t provide the tape for ongoing treatment, we have had to buy our own.

When mine was first done we took a photo to remind us how it went. I also have a sleeve, my LD nurse has just given the instruction do it when you think it is necessary. I tend to use the tape to give myself a break from the sleeve if I am having a lazy day or two.

Mine has been assessed as Mild and I really hope we can keep it that way.

Andie