cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tattoo on scar

14 REPLIES 14
Von63

Re: Tattoo on scar

I had reconstruction and don't like what I am left with. I have always said I want a tattoo even though I don't really like them I think it will look better than the scars I have. I have google breast tattoos many times and seen some lovely tattoos. There is even just a black one that looks great as well as the flower ones. I see my surgeon in August this year which will be 10 months post op, plus chemo finished so should be ok for tattoo so I am going to ask if this is ok. Will then need to find a tattoo shop willing to do it.
Has anyon had this done and are there any complications?
Good luck to you all
GBC

Oh this thread is really making me think about going back to my original idea of having a butterfly tattoo in place of a fake nipple. I have always felt this was one part of the whole reconstruction thing that felt really false and something I may not be that happy with. However a friend had the same diep surgery that I have just had with the same consultant PS (although hers is not scarred like my recon breast as she didn't have to go back into surgery after skin necrosis like me) and I have to say her new nipple looks fab. The tattooed areola is almost a perfect match to her good breast and the nipple, made from taking a bit of the recon skin, also looks good so I am very undecided now. Not long though to make up my mind as I am having my op on 27th April - 3 in 1, good breast reduction and uplift, new nipple, scar revision and lipofill on recon and a mesh tummy repair for a big abdominal bulge that developed. Great fun! Mind you I feel now that I have got this far I have got to carry on and get the best job possible.
Gay x
NAZ

Go for it Chris! I have an appointment on the 18th April to discuss my tattoo!

chrisalex

Hi Ladies

What an interesting thread.  A year ago a friend suggested that I had a mantra tatooed in place of a nipple and at the time I laughed.  Now I am thinking that maybe this is a good idea. 

Regards Chris

13gerbera

That's exactly it Naz, I refuse to let BC have the last word too!

xx

Sharon

NAZ

Hi Sharon
I am so excited too!

I think for me, a tattoo is all about ME deciding what I finally look like after BC, not BC leaving the last mark!

I know some ladies embrace their scars and are happy with them, but I am not..SO if I can find a way to make a feature of the scar with a tattoo, then WHOOP WHOOP!

So far, I have been in touch with this place ********************/ and only because they do the nipple tattooes ( so was kind of hoping that they would extend to a larger area). Not sure whether my scars are 'tattooable' yet, but fingers crossed!

Best of luck with your radiotherapy and healing.. I will keep you posted xxx

13gerbera

Hi ladies,

I can't tell you how much I LOVE this idea! I've only had a lumpectomy but it has left a defect in my boob that bothers me (and it's also smaller than the other one) but I don't want to go to the hassle of corrective surgery which might not work so I'm completely taken with the idea of making a feature of it with a tattoo. Just had a look on Pinterest for some ideas and wow, they are brilliant aren't they 😄

I don't have any tattoos at the moment and have absolutely no idea how to go about finding a good tattoo artist so any feedback from you all will be very welcome (I'm in no hurry, still have to get through radiation first and give the skin time to heal so this will be a longer term project)

I'm all excited now Naz, please do keep us posted!

xx

Sharon

NAZ

Ah Kitt don't be embarrassed! My brain forget the lumpectomy ladies, but as you say, a reminder for you too. The more I think about it, the MORE I WANT A TATTOO!! 🙂 xx

Kittkatt

I'm actually embarrassed to say I only had a lumpectomy. My scar is really not bad at all and I know many of you lovely ladies on here would swap places with me in a heartbeat but it's going to be a constant reminder so if I can turn it to something positive it's good to know the option is there. I had my first tattoo aged 25 so a second aged 50 would have a certain symmetry. Not sure what I'll get when I'm 75 tho! 😇
NAZ

Ah Kitt.. same here!

Well, something  pretty.. a chain of flowers, butterflies. not sure yet, I am going to look at some designs over the next few days to see what I like the look of. I got in touch with  one parlour and sent them some photos to look at ( the scar needs to be flat and not red), so I am really hoping that mine will be okay!

Have you had a MX or reconstruction Kitt?

Nazxxx

Kittkatt

What sort of design are you thinking of, Naz? It's way too early for me (just 3 months post op) but my mind has been drifting to pretty tattoo ideas all day 😽
Hugs,
Kitt
X
NAZ

Thanks Kitt  and Gay for your thoughts..

I  have really got my head round the idea of having the scar tattooed, it is just a case of finding the right tattooist and plucking up heaps of confidence!

I wonder if the gel might have worked  had it been suggested after the surgery, I am not sure. I don't think the scar is hypertrophic but it certainly has not faded at all over the last 3 years. I phoned the BCN today and she said she does not know of any ladies to have tattooed the entire scar on a reconstruction and that I should speak wtih the Plastic surgeon first (which I shall do).

I have also made contact with a tattoo parlour in Luton (they do the nipple areola tattoo for ladies) and apppear to be very good, so I am guessing they are used to working with 'traumatised' skin. I had to take photos to email them and am waiting to hear back.

I really can't imagine living with the front scar on show for the rest of my life ( I am 43 and was DX at 38!) so I shall certainly see what other options are available if a tattoo is a no no. Gay, I wish i had gone for a tattoo instead of a fake nipple if i am honest, pretending that something real when it isn't, well it kind of does not sit well with me any longer.

Will keep you  posted and have lots of fun looking at all the designs for sure!

Naz xxx

GBC

Naz I think that is a brilliant idea and definitely something I have considered. Also the idea of a beautiful butterfly tattoo instead of a fake nipple or maybe as well as, set to one side of the foob perhaps. It will be important to find a really good tattoo artist though wouldn't it? There is a website called Pink Ink just for breast cancer ladies but unfortunately its in the USA. Let us know if you find someone good here, I'm very interested too. Wishing you lots and lots of good luck with your research. Gay x
Kittkatt

No advice to offer, Naz but just wanted to say I think that could be a great idea if you are not able to achieve an appearance you are happy with. (I've certainly seen some very good results with silicone gel in children with hypertrophic scarring from burns although it does take many months.)
You've really got me thinking (and Googling!) - there are some lovely images of tattoos. There are interesting sites about the symbolism of different flowers - cherry blossom for me...
You would certainly want to speak to your surgeon and choose an artist who is experienced in working with scar tissue since apparently the ink can take differently.
You can at least have some fun looking at designs😘
Kitt
X
NAZ

Tattoo on scar

Hi again!

Just following on from my scar revision surgery thread, I have had a thought about getting a tattoo instead!

Has anyone had one to cover their reconstruction scar? I would love to look down in the bath and see a string of flowers, or something nice and feminine. I guess it wouldn't hurt as the whole area is numb.

I would LOVE to hear from anyone who has had a tattoo to cover their scar.

Thanks

Naz