cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tattoos and nipples

5 REPLIES 5
tigerpig

Re: Tattoos and nipples

I had nipple tattoo done today on LD recon,even though area is numb i found having the tattoo a little painfull,strangely pain was under my arm pit,headache like pain-very strange,have now got dressing on,so waiting to have a proper look tomorrow when i take dressing off x

drdspg

Thank you so much for your replies. It's really helpful to hear others' experiences and gives me plenty of food for thought..

kitten_mad

I had a nipple made from my own skin (well really my back skin as I was LD flap) about 5 months after my Mx. It was really "prominent" at first but has since flattened out a bit though! Mind you it does make the reconstructed breast look a lot more real. One side of the scar didn't heal well so although I was offered a date for the tattooing a few months later I didn't go ahead with it as the tint would not have covered the scar sufficiently. If your nipple flattens out you can get more lipofill done to enlarge it every so often. Lipofill is quite painful though and quite often your body simply reabsorbs the fat according to my surgeon.  Still glad I got the nipple done though!

Hope this helps a little, and that all goes well with yours.

K M x

Ann_R

Hello,

I had a nipple recon one year after breast reconstruction. I was in hospital just for the morning. No pain at all. Tattooing started about 8 months later and I had four sessions over two to three months. I was given local anasthetic cream but I am going to be honest and say that one area always made me jump. But all quite bearable. I found it well worth doing although I wasn't going to bother initially. It does just finish things off nicely. Man Happy

Good luck

Ann

RoadRunner

I had a recon in 2010, followed by a nipple share in 2011.  It was several months between the two (six I think) and then a tattoo about three months later.  I imagine timescales vary from trust to trust.  It sounds like you are having a bilateral recon so you won't be having a nipple share, but the more common procedure of using a skin flap?

It was very well worth doing.  It seems a long time ago now, but the difference it makes to appearance is huge, and I would recommend it.  The tattoo was done in two stages - they tried to get as good a match as possible to my existing nipple (if you are having both done I guess you can choose how it looks), and took the route of building the colour up in stages to ensure a good cosmetic result.  They said I could keep going back for additional colouring until I was happy with it.  As I said, it took two stages - they said most took either two or three to get the desired result.  I think it was a few weeks between the stages, to allow for healing and the colour to settle down.  I'm struggling to remember now, but I think I had to keep the area dry for a short while, and it scabbed over before healing.  Sounds unpleasant, but of course mine was on an LD flap that has no feeling, so it was no problem.

They said that over the years the tattoo may fade, but I can go back any time to get a top up.  So far that hasn't happened.

drdspg

Tattoos and nipples

Has anyone had new nipples made or had tattoos or both? How did it go? How long after reconstruction did you have it? I'm having the reconstruction surgery in a couple of weeks if all goes ahead and imagine it might be quite some time before tissue is recovered enough to consider nipples if some sort? To be honest, it's 3 years since I had them so it might be quite weird to look down and see them!!