cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxol and carboplatin upfront

10 REPLIES 10
Danmac10

Re: Taxol and carboplatin upfront

Awh that's fantastic news. My hair is thin and fine and I haven't opted for the cold cap. Good luck with things and here's to a healthy cancer free future xx
diamondbubbles

Hello,

The good news for me is that I had my last chemo session on the 8th January but this was because my immune system kept going too low to tolerate it.  I am therefore not sure if the chemo was at all effective.

Regarding hair loss.  I was having the cold cap to try to preserve my hair, however, I must say that with the 5 mini doses of taxol my hair is very thin and 6 weeks after the treatment my hair is still falling out faster than I would expect. The top of my head in particular is thin and anyone taller than me can see my scalp through my hair.  I am, however, pleased I have kept at least this much hair as I am not managing to stop my wig from sliding off and therefore haven't got around to wearing it in public!

In the last 2 weeks my eyebrows and eye lashes have decided to thin out to almost nothing.

I did not have many other Taxol side effects, other than being very tired for 24 hours, a few nose bleeds, losing hair in my nose and on my pubes.

I stopped updating my posts when I got septicaemia from the top wound where the portacath was inserted ........... not fun at all.

My very good news is that the Herceptin has eradicated my cancer. The MRI scan showed no cancer and to be sure I had a sentinel node test and some thissue removed from my breast. The path lab have now confirmed that there was no cancer tissue in any of the samples.  I just have to work out why, with all this good news, I still have to have radiotherapy. It does not sound logical to me.

I hope your journey through this disease is successful and short. x

Danmac10

Hi I was wondering as I am also on weekly taxol (12 weeks- had 3rd today) what happened with your journey. If I understand correctly carbo doesn't normally cause hair loss and I've read mixed reports re weekly taxol. Some say you lose all hair and body hair, some say none or just thinning. I haven't had he usual EC some have so I still have my hair: also wondered how the side effects faired during and towards the end of treatment. I've recently had a upper and lower resp infection so not felt the best and think it's the abx that's made me feel awful and very nauseous this week. I'm generally fatigued but continue to walk the dogs an average of 3 miles a day. Current issues of lower abdo cramps as if I need to run to the loo and red face flush along with recent mouth dryness, sore throat (got difflam) and ulcers. Many thanks - hope you are doing ok now x
diamondbubbles

Hello,

2 down and 10 to go.

There is not much to say this week as it went pretty much the same as last week, although a couple of hours shorter as I only had Taxol yesterday.  I took anti-sickness drugs as part of the pre-med but I have not taken the tablets given for me to take at home.  I have not felt sick/nauscious.

Again, I felt tired but not as much as the last week ...... maybe I am just getting used to it.

Choock

Hi
I'm too to have the T bit before EC or FEC because of a low immune system and bone marrow problems. I'm having a slightly reduced dose to see how I cope with GCSF and bloods done every other day. Glad to see someone else having this. I'm not starting for a few weeks though as I'm having radiotherapy at the moment but I will be reading your posts and good luck xx
diamondbubbles

Hello again,

As promised I have written my experience from yesterday's first dose of Taxol/Herceptin.

The day was long, we got there at 9:30 and got home at around 5:30. I had thought there would be a lot of just sitting around waiting for the drugs to go in, so we took Scrabble, knitting and books. Not one of them came out of the bag as there seemed be lots going on all the time.  By the time we got home I was wiped out and I am not sure if it was general tiredness from sitting around all day or as a result of some of the drugs.  I will see what happens next week, because I would not want to drive myself if I am that tired after each session. I feel fine now.

My main nurse, Sue, was very good, she explained everything in the greatest detail and being a natural "chatter" communication was easy and relaxed.

There was a lot of drugs pumped into me in addition to the Taxol and Herceptin.  The extra drugs included Piriton and Steroids and others I have no idea about.  Anyway the good news is the port worked first time (they apparently don't always) and I did not feel a thing when she put the needle in.  Also I did not have an allergic reaction which is also fairly high on their list of concerns.  So  the drug taking was easy. Although Sue reckons I coped better than many as I have had been pulled around by doctors/nurses several times in the past.

Now onto the cold cap. It was fiercely cold to start with but not so cold I ever though I would not last the session.  After about 20 minutes I had forgotten the coldness.  I  was, however, wrapped in lots of blankets.

So now onto the next week.  I am obviously watching for side effects ........ hopefully I won't get too paranoid!
June_BCC

Hello Diamondbubbles

Welcome to the forums.

If you would like any support from our helpline please feel free to call them, they are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

best wishes

June, moderator

diamondbubbles

Hello,

I will be starting weekly Taxol on 30 October together with herceptin every 3 weeks. I have been told that the weekly regime has less side effects than 3 weekly, although I did not get a choice because I have an over active immune system, so the idea is to give me a lower dose but more frequently. I will let you know how I get on.

Brewster

Thanks for info. I haven't had choice re weekly or 3 weekly so am hoping my body doesn't cave at the first month. How have you found having carboplatin ??
SamanthaL

I was told weekly was less grim, in terms of side effects. I opted for three weekly, only because I wanted to have at least one week of feeling great, ish.
Brewster

Taxol and carboplatin upfront

Is anyone else out there having taxol and carboplatin before EC/FEC ?? I am due to start and have been warned that the weekly regime is pretty grim and wondered how others have coped with this and what I might expect. Think my regime is a new trail ie weekly rather than 3 weekly

Thanks for any info