Taxol weekly

After having my 4th chemo, 1st 3 were Fec then docetaxol. Docetaxol was so harsh , i ended up in hospital. Anyhow has any1 had taxol weekly, as they want me to do the next taxol weekly over the next 6 weeks. Any1else done this weekly and was it easier than the 3weekly ?

Much easier. Only side effects of the taxol for me were numbness in fingers and toes, and got progressively more tired as time went on. Day of treatment itself felt rubbish but otherwise all ok. Finished 3 weeks ago after 9 weekly cycles. Good luck.

Hi Boodles,

I had my last EC (not FEC) last week and will start 12 weekly Taxols on Oct 8th. I was having the EC every 3 weeks over 12 weeks for the first half of my regime. For the second part I was given the choice of the full strength Taxetol (or whatever it’s referred to as) every 3 weeks for 4 sessions or having it weekly for 12 sessions. I did a bit of research and the Taxol does seem harsh - especially regarding feet, hands & nails - so I’m going for the weekly option! The chemo nurses all say that it won’t be as ‘difficult’ as the EC. 

Im sorry you ended up in hospital, I hope you didn’t have to stay in long. I got a bad cold after my previous chemo before last. It went to a chest infection and sinusitis. I just couldn’t shake it off. Had to visit A&E twice (antibiotics & to use a nebuliser) but wasn’t admitted. I’m now on Day 7 after my last EC and having the worst SEs I’ve ever had from EC so guess the effects can be cumulative. Everything tastes horrid, my feet don’t feel like they belong to me, my tongue is sensitive and I feel wobbly and a bit hungover (and slightly nauseous). Good luck with your weekly Taxils. My last Taxol is scheduled for Xmas Eve! 

Baz

Thankyou Liz, i didnt have my 3rd taxol because i had a temp and they thinkit might be start of an infection. So i have had my treatment , deferred for a week, so still 4 to go … Glad you are handling it so well xx

Hi
I am on fec-T + H. I just had my first doxatel which I have had very bad se and ended in hospital with infection. My oncologist has given me a choice moving forward of ether -

next 2 docetaxel reduced by 20%
or weekly Paclitaxel x6 more.

I am looking to hear from anyone who has changed to this regime and how they got on se wise, was it kinder?

I realy don’t know what would be best. And would be grateful for your comments.

Thanks V x

Hi Boodles. I have been on weekly taxol since February this year and have had very few side effects apart from tingling feet and hair loss. It actually grew back whilst having treatment and then all of a sudden fell out again. My oncologist has decided to continue the treatment indefinitely but hoping to have a three month break from December. Hope you are doing ok. Any questions please ask xxx

Hi Vintage

i haven’t had a change but have had ECx3 then Paclitaxol weekly x9 (last one is tomorrow yay). The Paclitaxol has been very manageable, with just a few upset tummies and a vague nauseousness for a few days - nothing like the hell of EC 3! I have  been so well I felt a bit guilty as most of the others on the July starters thread are/were having a hideous time on Docetaxol . Hope that helps.

Hi Once wild,

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences on Paclitaxol.
Have you found the se build up or get worse as the weeks go in? Do you have the injections to help with white blood cell count?
If I go for the weekly, (I think i probably will) last one should be the Monday before Xmas.
The Docetaxol for me has been way to harsh se wise and I worry even if they reduce the doses it would not be enough.
My oncologist so far has no information between the two regemes. Just says they are happy to proceed with both optons.

Great you are on your last one?
Vxx

Hi Vintage

last one today!! So pleased! In answer to your question I haven’t had a build up of SEs with Paclitaxol - they’ve been the same throughout. As always I come home from treatment and go to bed to relax, maybe snooze due to piriton, then get up for a small portion of a hearty tea then chill till bedtime. Tonight I made it to book group for a couple of hours which was fab. Ready to sleep now. Expect that over the coming days I will gave mild queasiness every now and then, relieved by a ginger nut, and possibly a bit of an upset tummy. That is it. For me, a dream compared to EC. 

Hope ps you find it equally bearable! 

Could someone tell me feeling this low last for since haveing t treatment …I ate yesterday since Sunday …felt great yesterday but feeling utter rubbish again …is it more than week , just so I can deal with it better ???had t treatment last Wednesday xx