Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxotere and ice gloves

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Taxotere and ice gloves

Hi

I'm nearly finished my course of T-FEC so I've had the pleasure of the Docetaxel already. I'm being treated in Cambridge and gloves/boots were never discussed as an option, but I run ridiculously cold at the best of times so I wouldn't have considered them anyway. I'm a chicken. 

My last Docetaxel was 6 weeks ago. My finger nails don't look great to be honest, husband says they look like smokers fingers. I have what looks like bruising and yellowing under the nails. Its growing out already and the growth at the cuticle is a lovely healthy pink. They feel bruised and sensitive. More so when they grow too long so I keep them reasonably short. I do paint them occasionally when I'm desperate to look a little more feminine and remind myself that Im still me. 

Toe nails also feel bruised but the physical bruising isn't as apparent. Again so long as I don't forget to cut them they aren't too uncomfortable. 

Sorry I can't help re: the gloves/boots. 

Highlighted

Hi Marie Else, I had FECT from October 14 to April 15. I used Manuka honey hand and nail cream, onicolife nail drops and moo cream (udder cream) on hands and feet throughout. I had no problems at all with nails.

I cold capped, but couldn't get any ice gloves or boots - I did try sitting with my hands and feet in bowls of ice cubes and water (!) but found that unbearable. The cold cap saved my hair and luck or the creams saved my nails. Some people recommend dark nail polish as T is UV sensitive, but personally I thought that would cover up any nail changes so didn't paint mine.

I hope that is some help to you, I wish you all the best as you embark on this horrible but essential journey x
Highlighted

Hi Marie Else,

I am sure some of our users will be along to share their experiences with Taxotere and ice gloves soon. 

In the meantime you can always use our Ask the Nurse service or call our helpline on 0808 800 6000, who will be able to advise you and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below.

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday 9am-7pm
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Bonita 

Highlighted

Taxotere and ice gloves

Hello Everyone,

I am due to start on three rounds of Taxotere in mid-January, following FEC. I'm rather worried about peripheral neuropathy and losing fingernails and toenails, so asked my chemo nurses at Barts whether they use those ice gloves and booties which are supposed to prevent those things.

The answer: never heard of them! I do know that some NHS hospitals do use them, though. Does anyone have experience of bringing in their own at Barts? And experience of how well they work - have they prevented those ghastly side effects for you?

Any advice much appreciated - thank you!