Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxotere tips diet etc

26 REPLIES 26
Divvy1

Re: Taxotere tips diet etc

Hi mnc

Good luck with Herceptin today. I've had 4 of 13 so far & it's a breeze. It's not chemo & there are no nasty side effects. It can affect your heart but you'll be getting regular scans to make sure you're o.k. I had my first one at hospital, the day before the 2nd last Tax, & had to stay all day for monitoring, Is it the same for you ? It's just a bit of a long day, took my book etc, & slippers to be comfy. Had 2nd with the last Tax, then suspended while having rads, so 3rd (re-loading) dose was again at hospital with all day monitoring, & 4th at hospital 2 weeks ago. Have now been passed on to Healthcare At Home, so will be having all the rest at home, just waiting for them to phone me to arrange appointments. Will you be having yours at home also ? Hoping to hear later how it goes, but you will be fine
Davina x

MURDO2323

Hi Maggie and mnc

I know i am a bit nervous about it but i think doing the diet at least makes me feel like i am trying to take control a bit. I am starting it tomorrow and get my first TAX next Tues have had 3 FEC so far and really struggled, very sicky, last time felt nauseas until day 11. Had a really emotional time with the last too.

I see a bit of a similarity mnc, i don't wear my wig it feels weird to me, thougth i would have wore it all the time too. Where are you in your treatment and how did you get on with FEC if you had it? And how did your first TAX go?

Good luck with your herceptin tomorrow.

Jayne xx

maggie2

Hi,I too am starting tax in two weeks and feeling quite anxious.I've seemed to breeze through EC regime but have read the nasty side effects that tax can give-am now dreading having it.Will take the advice on diet given.Good luck to anyone starting this regime soon x

mnc

Hi J

Is the liver diet the one that was posted in this thread? If so, then yes and I'm doing it already. No White bread or flour, no processed foods, lots of water, no salt etc.

You look like me by the way. My photo is of me and my wig which I actually don't wear as it isn't all that comfortable and I go around just with my lovely hairloss head.

How far into your treatment are you? I've got my first herceptin tomorrow and I'm petrified.

mnc
xxx

MURDO2323

hi mCN

Are you going to try the liver diet before your next tax?

J xx

mnc

Hi emmass

I have manuka honey straight from the jar. One teaspoon every time I remember.

emmass

Cheers Jayne, I shall try that tomorrow x

emmbee

Topic: Top tips to help get you through Chemotherapy

Hi all,

The above topic is brilliant and I hope it helps you.

It has been compiled from loads of tips on what people thought helped them through the chemo.

It is on 'undergoing treatment: chemotherapy'

E

MURDO2323

Hi Emmas

I take it with porridge in the morning just a teaspoon. It is really sweet but the porridge kind of hides it.

Jayne x

emmass

Hello all

I've noticed a couple of you have been taking manuka honey. Any tips on how to take it? I've got a jar of 10+ but the smell is really putting me off!

MURDO2323

Glad your feelign not too bad and enjoying your sugary hot cross buns. I must admit i have pigged out today had 2 big bags of crisps 3 choc bars and my meals...making up for last week.
xxx

Divvy1

Hi Gretchen and mnc

If you type 'eating important' into the search box you should find it easily. I've just checked this out to be sure.

mnc

Hi Gretchen and everyone

Thanks for the tips on diet. I will definately try starting from now. I had tried to be good but this afternoon I made a hot cross bun mixture but forgot to put in the currants so kneeded them in and rolled out the dough, sprinkled the remaining currants inside with sugar and spices, rolled it all up and then in a circle. I cooked it in the over, covered it with icing sugar mixed with water when it came out so it was deliciously sweet (forgotten whats its called!!) and had two big warm chunks and it was delicious.

It was fatty, had yeast in it, and white flour!!

I feel a bit better today after last night and yesterday. Still burning in my reconstruction and still feel that FEC was a breeze.

Have a good evening everyone.
xxx

MURDO2323

Thanks Louise

I will definetly take them, would be too scared not too with the reaction. Want to ask them about maybe not taking as many after a couple of days.

Hopefully will get more of a buzzy efect this time as i think my emotions played a big part in the last time.

xxx

Brad_Pitts_wif

Just to say Jayne,
I was told that if i did not take my steroids b4 they would not go ahead with the chemo and it would be delayedas it was protocol due to possible side effects ie allergic reaction to Tax. Apparently my onc sees 1 severe reaction every 2-3 months. Also this feeling of anger is a common se of steroids and that is why body builders are known to be quite aggressive at times.

//////louise

saffronseed

Hi Gretchen, re the bottled water - was it sparkinling or still? and you say 'glass' bottled is the 'plastic' bottled water different?

I intend to try the diet, I do think it makes a difference and if it helps my liver too then thats a bonus!

good luck for the last Tax tomorrow (I wish it was me!)

Patx

MURDO2323

And good luck with your last TAX tomorrow.xxx

MURDO2323

Thanks Gretchen i am going to try this i have had enough at the moment and also did not do well on TAX. Can i ask a quick question.

You said in another post about the steroids as they are making me really edgy and angry and the thought of doubling them is not so good. I will speak to the nurses of course and take them as i am meant to before i go, i know it's for the reaction but did you cut down after that?

Jayne xxx

Gretchen

Hi

I can't find my post either, which is a bit frustrating as it took a while to write!

I had a really bad time with 3 fEC and then my first tax was in pain and spent a week in bed. Met with a nutrtionist and took on a 'love your liver' diet.

NO dairy, no salt, low saturated fat, no red meat, LOTS of fresh fruit and veg, 3 litre of glass bottled water a day, whole grains, no yeast, no white flour. - of course no alcohol too! Walking up to an hour a day is important too.

It sounds really restrictive and it is, but my second and third tax I breezed through, virtually no pain. The results were absolutely incredible! Friends also, really noticed that I got my personality back. Most people and the NHS just ignore diet as it takes more effort than just swallowing a pill. Please give it a try, be really strict for about 5 weeks and then you can ease off a bit.

ALSO, my wbc was down to 0.5 for the first two chemos, then I had two lots of injections. For 5th chemo I refused them and my wbc was 5.2! no injections (which really added to the bone pain). I did take manuka honey each day too.

I treated myself to roast lamb and a glass of wine last night and feel fine, but back to fresh smoothies and lots of vege to day.

Last TAX tomorrow - yay!

p.s. I hated FEC, the nausea was so terrible, and thought tax, even without the die, was far eaiser than FEC

MURDO2323

Hi

To be honest they all seem to say eat what you fancy, which is good advice in the chemo week what ever your stomach likes feed it. On the next week i realy tried to build myself up again, eating brown rice, wholemeal pasta, beans and pulses with maybe chilli or stew, it's really tasty.

I couldn't tolerate anthing acidic in chemo week so kept to very plain foods, toast, baked potato, tomotoes on rivita and porridge in the morning.

I do think everyone is different and you will find your way that first week and what works for you.

Take care and let me know hoe it goes.

Jayne xxx

saffronseed

Thanks for the tips for FEC, I am not a great fruit lover (apples oranges et) but I will go shopping at the weekend and perhaps more exoctic fruit in, that may tempt me. When you say 'wholefoods' what do you mean? I do tend to eat lots of meat but happy to cut it out if it helps, did you eat Chicken? Another thing I love is Cheese and I gather that is a bit of a no no whilst on treatement?
x

mnc

Hi everyone

I'd be interested in the Taxotere tips and diet. I did a search for 'Eating well is SOOOOOO important-please read' but couldn't find it.

Can anyone help please.

Thanks
xxxx

MURDO2323

Hi Saffron seed

If i get any other infor not on here i will pass it on to you if you like and will let you know how the diet goes and if it helps.

The only thing i have noticed with the FEC was i was eating really healthy, a really balcanced diet with lots of fruit and veg and wholefoods, not much meat. I added in Manuka honey everyday and at my last chemo all my bloods were up and in a good range.

Hope this helps and good luck with your first treatment, the chemo nurses are lovely and will make you feel at ease.

Love
J xxx

saffronseed

I will have 3 FEC and 3 Tax - I start my FEC next week so would be interested in seeing any dietry tips in particular for Tax so I can 'prepare' myself.

MURDO2323

Thanks i will have a look for it.

xx

Divvy1

Hi Jayne

I think you mean 'Eating well is SOOOOOO important-please read'. It's from Gretchen ( if I've remembered right). I don't know if there would have been a way just to copy it to you, bit too technical for me. But if you can't find it let me know & I will try something else.

MURDO2323

Taxotere tips diet etc

HI everybody

Am starting Taxotere in a couple of weeks (also many others just about to start).

I read a thread on here that i cannot find now. Someone used a diet that helped the side effects. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Also I have had a bad time on FEC does this usually mean TAX is not so bad?? Or is is just a myth?

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Love Jayne xxx