Ten years on Letrozole

It has been quite a while since I last posted, and hope everyone is doing well.

I have just had my third annual check up, and I asked the Consultant whether those of us on Letrozole now need to stay on it for ten years, just as NICE have recommended for ladies on Tamoxifen, and he replied that yes, that is now the case.

He also said that I need a DEXA scan every two years, due to the negative impact Letrozole has on bone density.  I am already on Alendronic Acid, due to bone thinning in my left femur.

I thought I would mention it here- I know this new ten year thing had been mentioned briefly in the media last year, but it was not particulary widely reported.  I was also wondering whether anyone knows if we get an extension to the NHS Medical Exemption card, which allows for free prescriptions, as mine expires after five years post diagnosis.

Many thanks.

Hello Dogmad,
It is my understanding that you can renew your NHS Medical Exemption card but have to fill in the forms again.
As previously, you ask your doctor to complete and submit a new FP92A application form. From what I have read, the NHS sends you a reminder letter approximately one month before your certificate is due to expire.
Although we may be ‘cancer free’, NED, hormone therapy is cancer treatment and therefore if we have to continue taking it for 10 years, we still meet the criteria for a Medical Exemption card.
However, I got my Medical Exemption card when I was diagnosed at 58 and will only need to use it until my 60th birthday. That is, unless the Government changes these rules as part of their NHS cost cutting exercises.
Peace and Positivity,
M x