Tender breast on one side

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been reading the posts on this forum for a few days hoping to find some information to keep me calm whilst I wait for my appointment at the one stop clinic.

I’ve always suffered with tender breasts on both sides before a period, it usually lasts a few days then goes away. After my last period, my left breast didn’t return to normal. It is still tender to touch on the outside edge, if you know where I mean! At first I thought I must have strained myself but surely that would have gone away by now. The pain isn’t there all of the time as in I can’t feel it if there is nothing pressing on it.

I am good at remembering to examine myself regularly, so to me, I feel fairly normal, with no lumps, bumps or thickenings. My left breast is a little larger, but always has been. So nothing much out of the ordinary, but tender. I was going to wait until after my next period to see if that made a difference, but I was worrying so I made an appointment with the doctor who also couldn’t feel anything untoward but said I should get checked out as it had been happening for around three and a half weeks and only on one side.

I think these are going to be the two longest weeks of my life! I’m pleased to be going so quickly but am worrying myself silly in the meantime. I also feel some sort of muscle strain in my upper arm on the same side. I made the mistake of googling my symptoms and frightened myself even more.

I was wondering if anyone had any similar symptoms or advice for me. I’ve picked up some vitamin b6 as I heard it was good for helping with pre menstrual related things and I’ve cut out caffeine which I admittedly drink large amounts of. I’m making sure I try to eat healthily as I’m also guilty of having a bad diet. I picked up some new bras to see if it was maybe time for some new ones and am trying to apply heat. My symptoms aren’t getting any worse which is a good thing, and I wonder if over the last couple of days I’ve bend less tender. It’s hard to get your mind off these things though and I’m aware I’m prodding myself like mad to see if it still hurts!

Any help would be gratefully accepted!

Thank you
Xx

Hello Louloum

Welcome to the forums, this must be a very worrying time for you but you have come to the right place for support from our experienced users who I’m sure will be along to support you soon.

You may also like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

With best wishes

June, moderator

I banged mine n it took over a month for it to start to feel better. ! If you think you have strained it, then yes can take a while . I also worked myself up thinking the worse n ended up with back n shoulder pains too. . Try to not read up too much on the internet . Your doing right to get followed up xx good luck

Hi lisamo

Thank you so much for your reply and reassuring words. It’s easy to think the worst and get carried away. Hopefully I will get some good news and then I’ll have a little word with myself!!!

Xx

Hi just wondering how u got on x

Hi Lisamo

I went for my appointment and had an examination and mammogram. The doctor said everything looked normal which I’m thrilled about! It seems breast pain is hugely common! I definitely have not gone back to filling myself full of caffeine and have taken on board all of the suggestions he gave me about diet and exercise.

Thank you so much for taking the time to ask. Hope this reply finds you in good health and happy new year!

Lisa
Xx

Aww glad all ok but it certainly makes you feel lucky and look at your life style xx