Tests Ater Treatment has Finished

Tests Ater Treatment has Finished

Tests Ater Treatment has Finished Hi Ladies

I am currently midway through my second lot chemo treatment following 4 lots of AC, WLE and lymph clearance I have two more doses to go and radiotherapy.

Does the hospitals give you further test once treatment is over i.e ct scans and bone scans just to make sure that the cancer hasn’t gone anywhere else. I had both these test prior to my treatment starting but I am very worried that the cancer may return elsewhere and if it did how would I or anyone know if they don’t do these tests?

I know I am sounding like a crazy woman but my tumour was graded a 3 and I am so scared its going to pop up somewhere else?

What are your experiences of tests after treatment, can I ask for them?

Many thanks

Lisaxx

Think they can tell how you’re doing by the blood tests they give you before each chemo…They’d call you in if they spotted anything.I had to have an extra test when my chemo finished because my liver count had been high for last three chemos,luckily it was only a reaction to the taxol.

Hi Lisa Assuming your hospital follows the normal pattern, you won’t get any tests when you have finished treatment. You will get a physical examination at intervals (3, 6, then eventually 12 months) and a mammogram every one or two years, depending on your onc’s view of how useful they are. No blood tests or anything.

I was quite shocked by this and queried why they didn’t do more screening, but I was told that it’s up to the patient to report any suspicious symptoms such as aches or lumps and bumps.

No tests I too have been told that there are no extra tests now that I’ve got to the end of treatment. Everyone tends to ask me if I’ve got ‘the all clear’ and assumes that they do scans and so forth, and I just explain that the surgery, chemo and radio were all carefully calculated to get rid of the disease so hopefully it’s gone. Not sure if it always convinces either them or me, but it’s fine most days!

The hospital explained to me that a scan tends to show up every last little thing that has ever happened to your body, cancer-related or not, and so is more likely to cause panic that reassurance. So they only do scans as part of checking out any other symptoms. I can see that makes sense, though I’ve turned into a right hypochondriac and am very tired of fretting over every little ache and pain ‘just in case’. Ah well. I gather it gets better to some extent as time goes by.

Lisa there are no routine tests after treatment- NICE considers them unnecessary!
So be watchful of how you feel and any changes. If anything crops up phone br care nurse/ onc’s/surgeon’s secretary for quick appt.
The main thing to watch out for is bone mets- joints are not particularly indicative as hormonals cause them to feel old and creaky. But rib, pelvic,femoral,spinal aches should all be checked. Bisphosphonates arrest bone mets so help is available. NEVER let bone aches go neglected- I did and got crocked. best wishes. dilly