Tests/Scans after ILC Diagnosis

I was diagnosed with Stage 2 Invasive Lobular Cancer of the left breast in October 2012 followed by  operations resulting in lumpectomy/wide local excise of the margin and lymph nodes done twice with clearance eventually. Followed by the 6 month chemo regime, 15 radiotherapy sessions and currently 6 months into the 5 years of Anastrozole Hormones. I am slightly spooked by reading some posts that say things about ILC being difficult (nigh on impossible) to find on mammos, and resulting in being visible on scans. Also is it right that the possibility is there of ILC appearing in the other breast at some stage? I have had my first mammo since diagnosis which came back saying it shows no sign of cancer - then goes on to say in the meantime that the films show only what can be seen NOW and it is important to contact yur doctor with any changes. Considering my ILC was picked up on my first ever mammo and the surgeon said it would have not been detected by touch i am somewhat beside myself thinking about the What if’s!! And how does anyone really know what is going on inside without checking vis scans, etc? What is it about this disease that gets inside your head and makes you slowly go mad!!! yikes…x

In addition to my previous post, i spoke to a friend who has reached her 5 year into hormone therapy - she was asking me whether or not i had been offered an MRI scan along with my 1st year mammogram. This was a query that i already had been thinking about and now that she has told me she had one i am left wondering why i haven’t been offered one also - considering i had a clearance of lymph nodes because of the spread of cancer i would have thought this would be the next logical test to be done - even if it is to allay the fears that i have about the possibility that one of the little buggers has decided to go travelling courtesy of my body!! Has anyone any thoughts about this and is it something that is not routine and only for certain patients. I know that i overthink things a lot but that is the nature of the beast so i have been told by many!!! thanks x

Hi seashell,ive just come across your post and have the same fears for the future. Lobular is a strange one and not so common as ductile cancer. My concern is that I couldn’t feel my cancer even though it ended up at 5cms…it was only discovered because my nipple started to point to the left but again Only when my arms were above my head…spotted when washing my hair in the shower…my ultrasound showed two small areas but mri showed it as one big mass! Even the consultant congratulated me for being breast aware.I am now so concerned about spotting it late in my other breast that I am going to ask for a mx on that side too along with insisting on having follow up ultrasounds at least and a possibly mri’s as well. Probably wont get my way as its all about the cost…but i’ll keep asking…think we all have a good case…Take care wax …