66.5K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank you to all at Leeds forum Fri Sat.

14 REPLIES 14
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Thank you to all at Leeds forum Fri Sat.

Double trouble, I have sent you a p.m. Love from Mandy xxx
doubletrouble

Message for Leeds Forum Ladies (June 2013) from 'newbie'

Hello Leeds Forum Ladies.  I did get a chance to speak to many of you in June including Michele (boob flasher), Mandy (who was due to have her ovaries removed the following week), Penny (midway through pregnancy with her second child), Meredith (aka Pink with gorgeous eyes and eyelashes), Andrea (who had fantastic looking hair) as well as many other lovely ladies who were all very kind to me as I was the 'newbie' and had only been diagnosed just 2 weeks before attending the Forum.

Unfortunately, following an MRI scan and further subsequent biopsies I was diagnosed 4 weeks ago with a grade 2 invasive breast cancer in the left breast too.  So I now have bilateral breast cancer and my consultant thinks this is multi-focal which basically means it's likely that there's more than one breast cancer in each breast so I am having bilateral mastectomies with immediate reconstruction using tissue expanders on 6th September (as he's not sure whether or not I'll need radiotherapy) and will be looking at a more permanent reconstruction in a few months hopefully.  Any ideas ladies???

When I attended the Forum in June I had just had a SLN biopsy on the right side which was negative.  I am now going to have to have the same procedure done on the left side but this will be done at the same time as the main surgery on Friday so I am yet to find out whether or not it's spread to the lymph nodes.  I am concerned that I am going to have 2 'dead arms' as well as 2 'numb' breast mounds come Saturday and don't know how I'm going to have injections, bloods or blood pressure taken as aren't you supposed to avoid using the arm that's had surgery (easier said that done in my case)??!!

I was still pretty positive back in June (but to be honest, looking back, I don't actually think I had any idea of what was to come) and the results of recent weeks have left me feeling less positive.  I have only cried once and although I am talking about the BC, it's as if it's actually happening to somebody else and I don't know whether that's a defensive mechanism or what?  I even managed to host two Strawberry Tea fundraising events (one at home and the other at work at the beginning of August) a few days after having had the additional biopsies done and whilst awaiting the results and raised just over £1100 in total.  I think that I've been trying to keep myself busy and can't actually believe that I am going to have both breasts removed later on this week!!! 

Everyone keeps telling me how brave I am but I'm not brave at all (I'm very scared) and it's just that one day keeps following the next and I get up, go to work, look after the kids/house and carry on as before as what choice do I or any of us have? 

Sorry to sound like a party pooper but I think I've been putting on a brave face for my family, friends, work colleagues, etc and I don't think I can do it any more and I am finding it really, really hard to come to terms with and just feel like running away!!!

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you girls.
Picked a nice couple of weeks to be recovering from an op haven't I? Weather soooo fab.
Hope you're all doing well xxxxx
panther22

Aww Mandy, I am so glad to hear things went well. i have been thinking about you. I can still picture you with that gorgeous flower in your hair. its funny I was telling people at work how it seemed wrong for all thouse young women to have had BC.I then reminded myself that I had had cancef twice and was younger than all of the other girls when I had non- hodgkins.It does feel surreal again that this has really happened to me. i think its my self preservation to stop me cracking up.
I am hoping some of the other ladies will keep in touch on here too. life seems good today. Help out on an ultra sound course and remember doing it in October and feeling so tired. Today im doing it and I know mybody feels a bit stronger. I know the ladies will get there. keep strong x

paged

Hi Mandy, Just to add a thank you for sharing your oompah lumpah experience (sounds better than oophrectomy!). It was great to speak to you at the forum, as if my BRACA screen comes back positive, I will feel much more confident making decisions. Don't forget to rest up! x
Guest user
Not applicable

Well said Deborah, thanks to all t b.c.c. From me too.
it was a great 2 days. Just felt a degree of anger though that breast cancer an affect so many lovely young ladies.
Had my oophrectomy on Tuesday. No sweat! Easier than my mastectomy 12 months earlier put it that way.
Cheers girls
Mandy xxxx
paged

Michelle,
Are you being serious or having me on with that Geordie sense of humour? Lynda zip wire across the Baltic with a designer va...a!!!!!! You either need some of the medicine we usually prescribe or your friends are as fun and generous as you - I suspect I know which. I will google her : Tee hee.
panther22

Bless you. Started feeling quite fatigued so had a cheeky nap today so learning to take it easy. On sunday I went to see my friend Lynda zip wire across the baltic. She had bowel cancer four years ago and has a designer v because of it. if you google lynda 2013 zip wire you should be able to find video of it. She helped me deal with coming to terms with having to go through chemo again after doing it when I was 20. In my txt to her tonight I said cancer had freed us in how we lead our lives now. Her fundraising and me learning to spend more time with my family as well as flashing my boob. I am determined to say the unsaid with a
little cheeky humour thrown in for good measure. I am hoping some ladies from the weekend join this thread as I really want to know how there life is taking them. I do typing on my phone so excuse any misprints. i am going to watch my fav programme dates tonight. I love life he he xx

paged

Michelle,
Don't work too hard - your patients are lucky to have you and your wonderful sense of humour - I bet you keep them feeling cared for and entertained! Just don't forget your self.
Deborah
panther22

Aww thanks Deborah. I have said its ok to print my email. This post is short but sweet as I have just done a long day at work. Even though its a year since I have finished chemo I am still a bit fatigue. I always get a day off afterwards so looking forward to my lie in. night night zzzzzz

paged

Hi Panther - the flasher at dinner - how could I forget! You injected more than a bit of humour ! Tee hee hee, haaa haa haaa!
If I remember rightly one of the facilitators was planning to contact attendee's to ask if they would / would't like to be part of a mailing (? e-mail) group. x
Good luck for today all of you lovely ladies having surgery and treatment.

Deborah
panther22

It certanily is a big thank you to everyone. The organisers clearly put a lot of thought into its content and kept it running on track. It was an honour to be able to share different experiences of the people in their different stages of the journey. It was so nice that you gave me a hug Meredith thank you. I think to some ladies Ill remebered as the one that flashed her boob. My husband calls her Barbie.
I hope people will add to this thread as I really want to know how they get on in this journey. I'm particularly thinking of a couple of people having operations on Monday or within the next couple of Months. I also hope the ladies who got their medals wear them with pride. I know Mrs Helpful will.
It would be great if we could all meet up in a year time or maybe on Ali retreat. I keep wanting to say something humourous to end this thread but I find it difficult so all I am going to say is hahaha Michele xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Deborah! 🙂 Yes I agree, the Forum was a fantastic way to find out information and meet some wonderful ladies who all have inspiring stories, experiences and outlooks!! We all had a well-deserved giggle, there were some tears too but it was a very emotional weekend! Thanku so much to everyone involved - it really did make me realise that there are so many people going through the same thing!! Take care everyone, it was a pleasure to meet you all! :))
xxx Meredith xxx
Jo_BCC

Hi Deborah

Thank you for your lovely comments, I have passed this on to the BCC staff concerned.

Jo, Facilitator

paged

Thank you to all at Leeds forum Fri Sat.

To all the women, both staff, volunteers and fellow users of BCC services who attended the younger womens forum in Leeds this weekend, I just wanted to say a huge thank you. It just was not possible to get round everybody in two days but my overwhelming memory will be this:
what a wonderful, beautiful, intelligent, brave and generous group of women you all are. I was never comfortable with the 'member of the club' thing before this weekend, but now I feel both privilaged and proud to belong to such an elite club. It is not a club defined by cancer, but one of wonderful women who just happen to have breast cancer. Truly thank you.
Deborah