cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Lake District / Tubular breasrt cancer

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted

Re: The Lake District / Tubular breasrt cancer

Cancer care are brilliant. I had massage and my husband had alexander technique which he found very helpful.

We were treated in their centre in kendal as it is closer to us.

Highlighted

I'm having left mx and recon at Lancaster next week and I have found Cancercare very supportive. Just been for a chat and they can offer massage alexander technique hypnotherapy counselling social meets and an opportunity to join in dragon boating Paddlers for Life on Windermere in the summer.
Highlighted

I have been referred to Lancaster for follow up. I assume OH would be Barrow as he is having his tests there.

It's nice to hear good things about Barrow, after all the bad publicity. I would rather believe people who have actually been treated there than the press.

Highlighted

Hi, 

Hope your husband is ok. The oncology unit in Barrow is wonderful if you have to go there, do you know where you will be going for any treatment? 

Highlighted

Hi,

Good to hear from someone else up here.

Our move went very smoothly and we are settling in.

Unfortunately my husband is now being investigated for possible lung cancer, or hopefully something less serious. He had CT scan at Barrow today so we now know where the hospital is! My new GP in Hawkshead seems very good. I just hope they don't end up having to close the practice.

Highlighted

Hi

Just looking at the new site and saw this. I live in Barrow. I went to the fantastic unit at Lancaster, had chemo at Barrow, surgery at Kendal and radiotherapy at Preston. I used hospital transport for Preston which made it so much easier. I am now having Herceptin until February and that is also at Barrow. Any appointments I have I have at Barrow and the oncologist is there usually on Fridays. 

The treatment I have had has been excellent, I cannot fault it at all.

Hope your move went went x

Highlighted

Well, that's me packed. We leave at 6.30 tomorrow to start our new life in the Lakes.
Hope to see some of you soon.

Highlighted

Yes it would be nice to try to get together - although at the moment I am only a hopeful / potentiol LakesLady ( currently living about 350 miles south so a bit far to come for a coffee ) !! Things are moving forward but I think it is going to be a few weeks yet until it becomes definate and we hopefully have a timetable. I have wondered a few times in the last week ( which was my third week of rads ) if it has been a bit mad to do all this at the same time. On the positive it does provide a distraction and hopefully now an increasing distraction from thinking about cancer - and is making me focus on a new future ! Hope everyone is keeping well and would be good to keep in touch.
Highlighted

Sounds like a great idea.

Highlighted

Oooh, perhaps we should have a Cumbrian/Lancs get together somewhere we can all get to!
Wandyx

Highlighted

Hello Lakes livers and lovers

I live on the edge of the Lake District, near Penrith. I was treated in Carlisle and have been very well looked after by all my doctors/surgeon/consultants, BCNs and chemo staff, and also my GPs surgery in Penrith who quickly got me into the system and continue to support me well.

I'm on 6 monthly checkups now and annual mammograms but they don't do scans unless there's symptoms of concern.

As well as the South Lakes-North Lancs support group there's one in Carlisle who meet up once a month.

X

Highlighted

Hi ladies, I live about 10 miles south of Penrith, and go to the Carlisle clinic. After having many cysts for about 5 years, I was discharged as they disappeared. Then in April this year had a screening mammogram as I ha hit the significant half century!! Had a WLE and SNB in May and just waiting to go in next week for another ALE as margins were not clear. Can I just say the breast unit is absolutely great, the BC nurses lovely, they ring up to make sure you are doing ok, and you chanting them if you are worried. If you need treatment, I would recommend Carlisle. Good luck in your house move walkabout x
Highlighted

Lancaster does 6 monthly checks, yearly mammograms, and bone density scan every 2/3 years. I had all my surgery at Kendal in the Breast Unit there (superb - double staffing etc) chemo is at Kendal, radio at PRESTON 80 miles each way and a right bu##er. Kendal doesn't have a breast clinic, it's the staff from Lancaster who visit to do surgery there. They also go to Barrow so you can see how they have to spread themselves around.
Lakes ladies get referred to Lancaster, cos that's our health authority Morecambe Bay Health Trust, so maybe KS is a different health trust. Lancaster is nearer than Carlisle for me, and the BC clinic is just fabulous.
I can feel a Lakes Ladies meet-up coming on.....
grumpy (and damp today)

Highlighted

Hello everyone,
I don't come on the site very often but dip in from time to time, to see my May Chemo 2011 girls. I was dx'd in 2011 and finished treatment, surgery, chenmo and rads at the end of that year and have been very well since. My treatment all took place in Guildford and it was brilliant but I moved to Cumbria in Jan this year and have a whole new team. I am based near Kirkby Stephen which is only 25 mins from Kendal but my new GP's have sent me for all my breast scans and advice to Carlisle. The hospital is state of the art and the breast services brilliant.
I did actually ask about Kendal but they said they normally refer on to Carlisle and I am very happy with the care and service there. Am surprised the Ambleside girls are not sent there?? But anyway, what it does seem is that there is good care up here and I am pleased with mine as I was a bit anxious leaving my surgeon, bcn's etc down south!
Anyway nice to see some other Cumbrian or soon to be Cumbrian girls. My OH is from this part of the world originally and we are soooooooo happy up here!
Take care all and good luck with moves etc.

Wandyxx

Highlighted

Hi,
Does that mean you may have found a house? Exciting times.

Sounds as if we could all be close together then.

hope the rads are going well. I'm sure other people have said this but be prepared for the tiredness to get worse over the next couple of weeks, before it starts to improve.

Lynda

Highlighted

Thanks Grumpy for the information. Like Lakeslover I would be intrested to know what follow up the breast clinic at Lancaster do. I was diagnosed and operated on in March this year and will finish rads next week so have a few years of follow up to come.There have been some developments with our proposed move so still a chance could happen in the autumn - if it does will be moving to Ambleside.
Highlighted

Hi Grumpy,

i think we exchanged posts last year as well.

do they do follow up once or twice a year at Lancaster? I am on 6 monthly at the moment because I am part of a rads trial group, but i will have to drop out of the trial when we move.

Pleased you are keeping well, hopefully enjoying these few days of good weather at last. I know what you mean about a new normal, certainly my early retirement is part of the new me, not the old one.

lynda,

Highlighted

PS there is a support group called Cancer care with centres in Kendal and Lancaster, they have been great support for me, as well as this forum, as I have done all this on my own.
Grumpy

Highlighted

Hello ladies
I live in Ambleside, go to breast clinic at Lancaster, FABULOUS, surgery at Kendal, radio at Preston which is about 160 mile round trip but do-able. I did not need chemo but it would have been at Kendal.
Three years on I am fit, well and enjoying normal life - not the same as before, just a new normal.
Grumpy

Highlighted

Hi,
we actually have our place on the market at the moment, but I think we are going to take it off and convert the cellar to give us the extra space we want. My son tells meit has been lovely up there today.

i can't wait to move now, it feels as if we have been planning it for so long.

i am well, on Tam but fingers crossed no bad side effects so far. I had WLE, ANC and rads.

Lynda

Highlighted

Hello Lakeslover. Good to hear from you. I had seen you on the forum and did wonder about the name ! Great news that you are going ahead with the move. We were up in Far sawry about 4 weeks ago. A beautiful place.We are still in search stage - but fingers crossed for some more definate news soon. It came up in my first meeting with my oncologist and he thought it was a great idea - his words were - the less time you spend thinking about cancer the better ( easier said than done sometimes ).i will keep in touch. Hope you are keeping well post treatment.
Mary grace - thanks for your post - did you see the post yesterday from WatusiLucy - on the tubular thread ? I had seen that the US guidelines seem more definate on the point.
Highlighted

Hi Walkabout,must seen this. I don't live in the Lakes, but I did have a pure tubular 8mm, no nodes. tamoxifen only gave me an extra 1% on what is already a good prognosis for tubular. My onc was keen that I take it though as I didn't have chemo, so otherwise wouldn't have had any systemic treatment.

There are a few ladies with tubular around. If I can help at all, just say x

Highlighted

Hi,

i have just seen your post.
pi am in a similar position. I was diagnosed 18 months ago, currently living in Winchester.

we had always intended to relocate to the Lakes within a couplemofnyears, and like you have decided to go ahead. So we now move permanently to Far Sawrey on the 13th July.

i asked a similar question on here a year ago, and was told follow up is most likely Lancaster.

keep in touch, it would be great to meet up if you do move.

Lynda

Highlighted

Lizcat - Thank you very much for the information. I am seeing the oncologist for the first time next Thursday and will raise it with her or him. I may come back to you if that is ok after that ? I do hope things are stable with you . Thanks again for your help and support.x
Highlighted

Hi walkabout,

Sorry about your diagnosis but at least you seem to have a plan in place and that always helps.

I can't help with your type of cancer but I am near the Lake District. I have secondary breast cancer and live in Morecambe and am treated at Lancaster. Am not sure how they allocate care in the area depending on your type of cancer or stage you are at. You may be seen at Kendal (very small), Barrow or Lancaster or perhaps you would have a choice. Some of the oncologists run clinic at more than one location. The care I have received over the last 6 years has been first rate. The only thing I would say that was lacking is support groups and contact with bcn but they are very busy as there are so many people constantly being diagnosed with bc. It may be different with me having secondary cancer too - I have no local friends in my position to meet up with over a brew. I do however have a great support network from ladies I have met via this forum.

I would suggest you perhaps ask about your situation next time you see your onc and see if they can contact one of the local hospitals to see what their catchment areas are. Hope this has been of some use.

Good luck, Liz

Highlighted

Bump
Highlighted

The Lake District / Tubular breasrt cancer

Hello. I am new to posting. I was diagnosed in mid March with a 7mm grade one pure tubular breast cancer. I have had a WLE and SNB ( nodes thankfully were clear ). I will be having radiotherapy - currently waiting for an appointment with the oncologist.Although my tumour was ER positive I have been told I am borderline for needing tamoxifan - to be discussed with oncologist.My lump was found following my first routine mammogram ( I am lucky to live in an area where they are screening some ladies from 47 and I was called at 48 - the lump was not palpable ). Immediately before receiving the letter recalling me after the mammogram my OH and I had been house hunting with a view to relocating from the south to the Lakes ( Windermere ). Now that I am beginning to come to terms with what has happened I am thinking that maybe I would like to continue with our plans and possibly look to move after the radiotherapy. My questions are does anyone know what hospital I would then be under if I moved to Windermere and has anyone been treated there and has anybody else had pure tubular bc under 1 cm and not been advised to take tamoxifan or an AI ? Hope somebody can help .Thanks a lot.