cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Unknown

5 REPLIES 5
ElaineD

Re: The Unknown

I imagine that it would be ok for both of you to be seen there-but here's a link to the clinic, and you could maybe email them first and ask ?

http://www.gig.org.uk/services.htm#SCOT

I'm really glad that you've decided to try and get some answers. You're young enough yet for your risk not to be too high at present, even if you do have the gene, so please don't panic on that just yet. But, as you said, your aunt isn't getting any younger, so as well to act now. I hope and imagine, that she'll be glad to help you, and save you further stress. Good luck-hope it all goes well-for you and your cousins.

irisheyes

Thanks for the replies. My aunt is in Glasgow, if I go up there can they do the testing on both of us?

I am going to contact my aunt as I can't go on living in fear. I am running out of time as she is not getting any younger. She also has a couple of daughters, who would maybe like to know if they have the gene.

ElaineD

Hi irisheyes. Sorry to hear your story.
Can I suggest that you ask your aunt if she would agree to be tested to see if she has the gene mutation? You might be surprised to find that she would be only too willing to help. I had a quandry, but from the opposite perspective-ie, I was the first to be tested in our family, was diagnosed as having the gene, and agonised over how I should raise the issue with my numerous cousins. Without exception, each of them were glad to be told, and thereby have the opportunity to have testing, should they so desire. You may find that your aunt is thinking very similar thoughts to you, but doesn't want to raise the subject for fear of upsetting you If you're reluctant to talk to her directly-why not write to her instead? In some respects, that would be an easier option, as you could take time to get exactly what you want to say down on paper-and she will be able to read it over as many times as she wants in order to clarify things in her own mind. This is what I did with my cousins-I wrote to them all individually, enclosing all the information which I had by that point been given form the clinic, and said that I would be happy to chat it through with them at any time. Within 3 days most of them had phoned me!
Your situation is different in that you're asking your aunt to have the testing done, but the same principle and fears apply. I have no idea where in Scotland your aunt lives, but several of my cousins live in or near Edinburgh, and so were seen at the genetic clinic at the Western General in Edinburgh-and have said how helpful and supportive the staff are there.
Good luck.

Sam_BCC

Hi irisheyes

Welcome to the forums. It sounds like you have a lot of unanswered questions, may I suggest you have a look at the BCC booklet called 'breast cancer in families', it can found at the following link:-

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk//docs/bc_in_families__final_12_june_08_layout_1_0.pdf

Best wishes

Sam
BCC Facilitator

Neelima

Hi,
your story is all too familiar to me. My mum died 23 years ago at the age of 46 following a diagnosis 9 months before. I was 23 yrs at that time. I suspected that there was something genetic going around as many female members died with either ovarian or breast cancer. I lived in fear of the unknown. I enrolled myself in family history clinic..and started getting annual mammograms and pelvic ultrasound from age 40yrs. note mammogram did not pick up my cancer at 44 years . i felt the lump myself.NHS unfortunately does not do testing if there are no living relative unlike in america where they do test for common breast cancer mutations.
can i suggest you if you can afford to get it done privately...I would have done if my NHS options were closed.I think there is a genetic testing company in London which does the test...do google search and do it.Go on american website called facing our risk..FORCE. They have alot of information on the website and also a message board. Please look after youself. You are right to be scared.Uusally genetic cancers appear at young age [less than 50] they are more aggressive and also triple negative. take care

irisheyes

The Unknown

My mom died 11 years ago from Cancer. She had it first of all in her left breast which she was treated for and given the all clear. Then a number of years later it had manifested in her liver. She was treated for that too and yet again given the all clear. Then a few weeks before she died it had reached her bones and her brain. In some ways there was a peace when she died as we knew she no longer suffered. She was only 53 years old. The baby of her family.

I am now left wondering if I have the gene. I don't want to have children if I can pass this on to them. My auntie is sure their mother had it too,but in Ireland in those days they wouldn't have known what it was. My auntie is also sure that my mother taking HRT didn't help. I have a relative in Scotland who also had BC,my moms sister, but I feel I can't ask her to give a sample to see if the cancer is genetic. Is there another way to find out?

It is like a ticking time bomb, I just don't know if and/or when it will go off. I am the only girl in my immediate family so have no one to talk to. My boyfriend lost a close friend of his to BC a few years ago, She was only 28. He looked after her after she had her treatment etc. Took her back to his place and nursed her. I don't think he would be able to do that again if I was to get sick. He won't talk about her to me.

I have just turned 30 and feel I have a lot of choices to make sooner rather then later, but I'm just so confused about it all.

Thanks for reading this.