The big pre chemo cut in Dublin

Hi everyone, im planning on doing the big pre chemo cut over the next few days and although im feeling strong enough i think im going to be quite emotional does anyone have any tips to help me hold it together.

Also wondering if anyone here is from ireland or dublin and if they have any recomendations of where to go?

Really im looking for a bit of privacy and sympathy. I know getting your haircut is not the end of the world but it does mark the start of a big change in my life with chemo starting next week. Thanks everyone x

Hi! Could you not ask your BCN or other patients when you go for your appts?  Or the wig supplier they put you in touch with at the hospital?

It is the biggest thing I had to deal with over this whole treatment (5 weeks post chemo) and the toughest to come to terms with I feel.  Only time I cried.

A friend of mine had a party and got all her family/friends to cut a bit off her hair.  She took plenty of photos and had some wine and really enjoyed the experience!!

Another girl got her husband to cut if off for her!  Brave woman!

I bought lots of hats from Primark and got a hat wig from Headcovers.com.  It was great and looked just like my own hair.  Cost £65 and was worth it.  Also got some from HeathersHair a charity which only asks for a small contribution.  The sleep caps from websites were too tight so the Primark beanies worked for me.

I eventually got a wig which looks just like my own hair so I wore it around the house for ages before I had the courage to wear it in public.  It is very light around the parting and across the top of the forehead so you can see a bit of scalp.  It looks so natural.  Nobody has noticed.  Make sure you are 100pc happy with your wig before you let them trim it or you wont be able to return it.

So we are stuck with it.  We lose our hair and theres nothing we can do about it.  We just have to find a way of dealing with it for a few months.  Keep telling yourself it will grow again.  Because it will.  Mine has started to - fluff but its a start.  I never thought I would get to this stage but I have.  I actually found the visits to the hospital quite reassuring cos you are surrounded by ladies who like yourself have lost their hair.  Some wear wigs others wear hats.  And the brave ones who show their bald heads take away the stress of it all!!

Are there any support groups near you - Macmillan, Action Cancer, etc.  I said I would never go there but I did and its great.  I go to yoga and pilates and have made loads of friends with other BC ladies.  Its really great to share worries and laughs and really makes me feel better.  They all gave me good advice about hair loss.

Good luck with the chemo.  Its tough but keep on a monthly forum here and you will get lots of support.  Its been a godsend for me.

Aine x