373956posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The new forum is here!

RevCat

Re: The new forum is here!

Sorry to be a pain - but I don't seem to be able to alter my privacy settings so that 'no one' can see my email address.  The default setting is 'friends only' and I have deliberately not added any friends for that reason.  I fear other less computer savvy folk may be adding friends and not realising this?  Maybe setting the default to 'no-one' for this would be wise?

If I click the 'no-one radio-button and then save I get this message:

Ninja

Hi Folks,
The only option for language is United States English. ARRRGHHHH
Please may we have our own language?
Thanks

catseye

Hi All,

Just spent the morning working my way around the new forum. Like many others, I hate change!! Was particularly confused as to why all the posts were "upside down", i.e. newest first  -  having to scroll backwards was most annoying. Why was this way chosen as the default setting?...I can't be the only one who finds this incredibly counter-intuitive. 

Anyway, I found Cornishgirl's post on how to fix this so feel better now! Thank you Linda - I would never have found that on my own as I am a complete technophobe.

Overall, I'm sure the new forum will be fine once we've all got the hang of it....and I hope by then it won't need to be changed again!

Janet_BCC

Hi PennyCrow and Cressida,

I have passed your queries on.  We'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Cressida

How do I change the default language to English UK?  I do like the option of the spell checker, I just don't like it telling me to spell stuff with a z.

jillybee

I find this site a bit confusing... had 3 emails asking me to re set my password, also reading them is not that clear to me, however, maybe state of mind, as a lot of us are in a somewhat apprensive, and get a bit upset when things are not right....this site is great to have though.

PennyCrow

Good Morning Helen,

The new format won't let me post a table in hypertext mark up language.  The August Maisies are a big group and the only way that we can keep track is by posting info in tables.

Is the a way around this please?

PennyCrow (August Maisies)

GIJaneH

Re: The new forum is here! - Avatars

June22, or whatever number you are (!)

I changed my avatar by going into personal settings, and finding "albums" and uploading required pic into album.  Then you can set it to be your avatar...  hope that helps.... No idea about how to change username though!

GIJaneH

I agree.... I don't seem to see any differentiation be tween read and unread posts, which is a bit confusing at the mo. (Partly because most folk haven't changed their avatars much yet!)

Tasha101

Please please can we have the link to "last unread" back?? Xx
Zuzy

Well done everyone, the forum looks great, will take a bit of getting used to as these changes always do and I need to ave a good look around but a couple of early things....
1). I think the unanswered threads is a good idea but all the ones in there are really old! I assume that it should show 'new' posts not ones from 2012!
2) I don't like the fact that the default avatar looks like an ambulance....
cornishgirl

My registration date is 5 ys later than i registered too,  it should read July 2007 not August  2012!: Woman Surprised

JCJ

Apparently I registered 19/1/2038 at 3 something am!! No wonder it's been an odd year..... I've been time travelling! 😛     Where has my DX info gone? Other people still seem to have theirs in 'bio' - I've just got a bizarre list of statistics including the above.

June22

Replies to messages

So... I'd hoped one of the new options would be that when you replied to a particular message within a thread, your reply followed the message you were responding to as an offset thread below it, to keep conversations linked.
But instead I see we are back with the reply going next in the thread like any other message would!
A missed opportunity for improved responses I feel.

Being able to add the quote helps, but it doesn't work as well as folk have to scroll messages.

And could someone please explain why can I only select English US or default English US?

I managed to upload a picture somehow - and use it for my avatar, but i can't find how to change my name back to my user name instead of a silly number!

JCJ

Don't seem to be able to bookmark threads on my tablet either. Or am I missing something? Managed OK on my PC!
June22

I got that too.

cornishgirl

Hi Rattles, just click on  breast cancer care forum  ,then click on the undergoing treatment section ,there you will find all the chemotherapy threads , not quite sure what genetics comes under yet but will try and find it for you, also the search facility is exelent its at the top of page right hand side, just type in the name of the thread or person you are looking for , adjust the drop down menu to either Board, Forum, Catagory, or User ect ,and it will bring what your searching for up.

Hope that helps a bit, x Woman Happy

June22

Re: The new forum is here! - Avatars

I want to change my avatar, but when I click to upload an image, an empty box opens with no information in it at all.

If I go to Avatar > From uploaded images.. part of the instructions, it says to "go to your My Images page (the link is on your profile page) and upload a new image"

I can't find a 'My Images' link on my profile page!

Teething troubles no doubt... but I do miss having a name - not a number, and I miss the left side menu that took me where I wanted to go straight away.
I did ask to keep that side menu in the testing stage but others might not miss it. 😞

June22

GIJaneH

sorted the picture - uploaded something into Albums and selected it from there...

my friend is in too bad a place to read things carefully, but I'll ask here about the email tomorrow (though it didn't help me, I resorted to trial and error!)

JCJ

GIJane: has your friend had an email to reset her password? Has she done that? I couldn't log in at first because It kept telling me no-one existed with that name and password. I got really annoyed... and then I read my email inviting me to the new forum and telling me to reset my password. Maybe that's what she needs to do? Just a thought.
JCJ

I miss the latest posts too, but I'm sure I'll get used to not having them. What I won't get used to is how difficult it is to post on my tablet ( and presumably on my phone too) I can't stretch the screen to enlarge the text and I can't SEE what I am typing as it disappears behind the keypad and won't scroll up. All I can see is my first line of text, so apologies if this make no sense! 😞
cornishgirl

Im realy loving this new forum ,it has many more new option's ,and it looks and feel's so much better than the last forum,,once id set my preferences to suit me personaly in my profile page i soon found it very easy to navigate , The search facility works fab too!! also like the unanswered posts displayed so that members wont miss them,  Thank's BCC, know its been lots of hard work but well worth the wait!! x Woman Happy

Rattles

Help! I don't like change and while the new forum looks wonderful, I can't find a thing and its all so technical!! How do I find my old buddies in the Chemo thread, or the genetics thread, a less popular but really important way of connecting to others worried about inherited breast cancer?

Who knows if I will even ind this thread again?!!

Rattles

RevCat

Just a thought - on the home page of the forums, when you have signed in, if you look under the search box at the right hand end is a really useful 'help' facility which explains how to do most things... and does it far better than I do!

cornishgirl

Sarah, you can subscribe to a thread so you will see all replies when you post on a thread  and you can do this from your profile page too by  setting all preferences and subscriptions xWoman Happy

cornishgirl

Hi, You can find the Pm section on your profile page, or if you look at the very top (right hand side above ) , it says Messages,Friend's Bookmark's ,hope this helps. x Woman Happy

RevCat

Jane, I had this problem and noted it... it seems to be an issue with Firefox which is my preferred browser; but if you have IE or Google Chrome it should work (did for me anyway).  Hope that helps.

janettekizzyry

Will it be possible to change part of my username?

Kiz

GIJaneH

tried uploading a picture, but I get a blank box and nothing happens.... just to let someone know...

cornishgirl

Hi Sarah, The Latest Post's are no longer in one thread, each section has it's own latest post's ,so you have to click on a section  ie worried ect and all the latest post's for that topic can be found  there, also you can adjust how the pages read ,ie newest post first at the top of page ,or newest post last at the bottom of page by going to your profile then layout, it's a bit confuseing at first but for me i found it was best to start from my profile page where you can then set all your options and arrange them to suit you personaly. Hope that help's a bit.  dont give up  .

Linda x Woman Wink

GIJaneH

Just had a text from a lady who's struggling with a lot at the mo with life issues and she's saying she can't get on the site, and will give up....  which is a real shame, because she really needs the support she gets on here right now... not sure what to do to help.  Mods... can I give you her username privately somewhere/somehow?   

Otherwise, from what I've seen so far, there are lots of improvements in this version - it'll just take a bit of time to fnd all the things we can do... and what's different.

Just want to say thanks to the Techies under the stairs... you can come out now...

Jane Smiley Wink

cornishgirl

Jennifer if you go to your profile, then layout tab ,you can choose how the pages are laid out, just done this and now posts are in the order of oldest first for me (oldest at the top of the page ), it  took me about 20 mins to sort it all out includeing my profile and uploading an avatar ,but you can pick your own options to suit you, Now ive sorted it all ,im realy likeing the snazzy look of this new Forum , but like all new stuff it will take a little time to find your way around.Well Done to BCC , im personaly realy likeing :it!!Smiley Wink

Jo_BCC

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback, our technical staff will be going through this thread during office hours tomorrow and will hopefully be able to fix any problems you are encountering.  Please continue to let us know of any glitches you find.

Kind regards,

Jo, Moderator

janettekizzyry

Forgot to mention that I can‘t find the PM section.
Kiz
janettekizzyry

I‘ve only been able tto view the new style forum on my mobile and like some other users my thread page is upside down.
Although I saved my avatar as advised by the mods it has disappeared. Not really a big problem as I can reset the avatar.
Kiz
amd66

how do we find the latest post on a well established thread, ours is in the after the treatment has finished. 

Jenifer

Agree with everyone else on here..........and why is the thread page upside down?

Lakeslover

Hi Helen,

I think you have missed the point. We do not want to navigate through multiple sections to find latest posts, this is making things less clear and harder to navigate.

Alto

Ooooh, lovely shiny new forum - I must explore!

Two little feedback points so far:

1. I had the same problem as RevCat but I was on IE - I couldn't load an avatar. I had no problem with Chrome.
  2. My registration date is showing in my profile as 01-05-2012 01:00 AM. I was a member long before that, so why is that date showing?

That's all for now - well done BCC techy team - I hope the broom cupboard isn't too smelly after having you lot incarcerated in it for so long!

Jane xxx

Mahsa

Navigating through the new forum is not very straightforward. Latest threads / posts should be on the home page, so it can be easily accessed. You have to go through so many layers to find something that you are looking for. I am afraid Chemo hasn't left me any patience to work this one out on top of everything else. Not very happy....!

sarah63

i shall go to facebook 'breastfriends'...sorry i hate the new set up;-(

sarah63

plus is anyone replies i dont think i would find it.......

sarah63

ohh i think its time for me to move on..i haven't a clue whats going on here??no latest posts??i think the set up of this is really hard work??or is it just me...sorry i dont like it.i found this post by pure luck,can not find anything else.please delete my account;-(

HelenL_BCC

Hi all,

Thanks for letting us know your initial reactions to the new forum layout, particularly the change to how 'latest posts' are displayed. You can still view the latest posts people have made; they're now separated out into sections to help make things clearer and easier to navigate.

I understand what you're saying about supporting new users, KittieKat. That was a really important consideration for us when we redesigned the forum, so we've created an 'unanswered threads' box which sits on the right-hand side of every page. This keeps unanswered posts visible, and we'd encourage all our more experienced users to keep an eye on that box to welcome and support new users.

I hope you'll continue to test and post on the forum, and let us know your thoughts here. I can promise you all we're listening. Thank you.

Tasha101

I have to e echo missing latest post option and also missing the link to unread posts in my subscribed forum. Also can't see anyone's profile information where most people put their DX info which helps me see if that person might have the same circumstances as me. Also there's no option for me to save my avatar from my iPad - click save and continue and nothing happens. Sorry I am moaning but the forum is a life line and I feel that it has been compromised now and I won't have the support it gave me before
Lakeslover

I agree with the comments about latest posts.

I am certainly not going trawl down through lots of sections to find all the posts. This will be the final straw which will probably stop me using the forum on a regular basis. Very disappointing after all the promises that the new forum would be an improvement to find an existing feature being removed.

KittieKat

I think that very new users probably stick to one or two topics, those that apply directly to them, and then move on to other topics as necessary.

More established users used the "latest posts" section, and could often give advice or answer questions if they saw anything in which they had experience.  

Now that we have lost the "latest posts" section I fear that new users will not get the support,encouragement and advice from those that may be in the best position to offer help, those that have been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

I, for example, never now look in the "have I got cancer" or "chemo" section, as I've moved far beyond those, but I would see questions in the latest post section.  Now I will never see them unless I look for them.

I fear that new users, those who are perhaps the most vunerable, will lose a valuable resource with the omission of a latest posts view.

Cressida

I also miss latest post.  Sometimes I just browse it to see what is being talked about.  Sometimes this leads me to join in on a topic that I would not have looked at.  I will probably just now check the small number of threads I follow and then just go away.  I think it will be a loss to new users who will find that more experienced users may not even notice their threads.  I am not suggesting that anyone will miss my wisdom in particular, but I think it just seems like new users will just end up talking to each other, unless the rest of us can be bothered to trawl through a series of sections one at a time.  Surely some way to have it as an option that people could choose to look at?

wintersocks

I really miss the 'latest' forum replies, mainly because I may not be interested in a particular 'topic', but I may want to see how someone is. 

The 'boxes' that we are invited to choose from to post, feels very 'narrow' it can be difficult to know where to place a subject.

I am finding it all a bit confusing too.....but I guess it will take time

I did not mind the old forum

Jenifer

Also why have all my personal messages not been transferred to the new forum? You specifically promised that this would not be a problem. 😞