cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The new forum is here!

Highlighted

Re: The new forum is here!

Hi Mods...

can you help me please?  I have 3 bookmarked threads (this being one of them!)  When I go to my bookmarks, the first thread has 6000 + unread posts (I presume t hat's the number of posts, not unread ones), the 2nd thread 2000 + and this one 9.

When I go to a thread, it takes me to the latest post, and I have to scroll down to the first one I don't think I've read.  I HAVE checked the "go to last unread post" box....  The posts are not (as far as I can see) bold or unbold to show which have been read.

I've read the new forum hints and still none the wiser...

thanks

Jane

Highlighted

Hi moser,

Sorry to hear you've had problems using the new forums, hope you can find your way around now.  As for latest posts these are now at the bottom of each forum - I've put an example below - if you scroll to the bottom of the page you will see all the latest posts for this individual forum.  Hope you can follow that.  If you continue to have problems please let us know by contacting: moderator@breastcancercare.org.uk and we will help you the best we can.

http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Welcome-to-the-forum/ct-p/welcome_announcements

Take care

Jo, Moderator

Highlighted

I've only just found my way on to here due to an issue with my "name" being lost. And the first thing I tried to fins was (of course) latest posts. But I'm completely baffled! Where are they? Sorry if its me, and i know i have not posted much lately, but am I missing something here?

Highlighted

Thank you. Though a strange  category  to put us  in if I may say so,  since many of us are several years down the line!! Not cognitive! 

Still - for those equally confused, I should say that once "newly diagnosed" and inital treatement completed, any subsequent treatment does not really  differ from a diagnosis of any other variant  of breast cancer.... Which, indirectly, is good news for those with IBC - it's not as bad a maybe it once was to be diagnosed with this variant...

Highlighted

Thanks JCJ for pointing this out - don't know how it got missed.  I've removed scoobie's email address now.

Kind regards,

Jo, Moderator

Highlighted

Scobie, you have given your full name (assuming your email is your name) and email address to ANYONE who might look at this thread - not just people registered with BCC. In the interest of safety, you might want to edit your last post??

When you are trying to find threads on here the search box at the top right hand side is very useful. When you find a thread you can bookmark it by clicking on the purple thread options tab and choosing bookmark. Then you will see the number of bookmarks you've saved at the top right of your screen. Click there to open them. No more searching!! 🙂

Hope that helps.

Highlighted

Jenifer you maybe have clicked on the thread options tab...... "Sort by thread" which puts them in the order where each reply to a particular thread will come before the next thread.... You can change it again by clicking the sort by "oldest to newest" as it was on the last forum.
Highlighted

What is happening now with this thread? The posts for Thu-Sun have all gone out of sequence. 😞

Highlighted

Hi Scobie, The Chit Chat page come's under "Talk to People Like Me" and can be found at the bottom of the page beneath all the other categories. Hope that helps.

Linda Woman Happy

http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chat-and-games/bd-p/4409

Highlighted

HI JANET, I STILL HAVE NOT FOUND THE CHIT-CHAT PAGE. I GO ONTO THE FORUM AND CANNOT FIND WHERE TO GO FROM THERE COULD YOU PLEASE ADVISE ME HOW TO GO ABOUT THIS.  HOPE YOU CAN HELP I AM NOT VERY GOOD WITH CHANGE IN MY COMPUTER.THANKS JOYCE(scobie).

Highlighted

Hi Haxted,

Inflammatory Breast Cancer can be found under  "I am recently DX" , hope that helps

.http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Inflammatory-breast-cancer/bd-p/4454

Linda 

Highlighted

Where can I now find postings for those with Inflammatory Breast Cancer?   

Highlighted

Re: The new forum is here - Font size

Haven't had time to really check out the new website properly, but one thing I noticed straight away  is that  I am finding this new  typeface  really difficult to read, especially on the forums.  I know  eyesight can be affected by chemo but I didn't have this problem with the old website.......  The print  needs to be 'bolder'!  or a 'bigger/different  font' ?- hope you can see the difference! Does anyone else have the same problem?  It was much easier to read through posts on the old system - and as a lot of time is spent skimming through posts  it gets very tiring on the eyes with this new font.   The 'information' section is slightly clearer as the line spacing is different and there is more space between each line which makes it slightly easier to read.  I know forum users can change the fonts when they write their posts but not everyone would think to do so.   Keep up the good work - the website has been invaluable! Ciccia 

Highlighted

Re: Replies to messages

Can I ask why the edit post option dissappears on my posts? It seems to be there immediately but the vanishes. I use it a lot of the monthly chemo thread for June as I keep a list updated with everyones cycle dates but I now cannot update the post if anything changes and it makes it very difficult. I also don't like the fact that I can't go back and change anything on previous posts if needed. Please can you get the Edit function to work permanently.

Highlighted

Re: Replies to messages

June if you click options at the top then order by thread then it does indeed show it linked to the message you have replied.... Personally dont like it that was.... But the option is there for like yourself who do.

Lx
Highlighted

Melrose, when I'm using my phone or tablet I 'request desktop version' (on mine it's in the 3 squares options menu at top RHS  and on phone it's on the settings button: 'more')

I really struggled to use the mobile version of the site as a lot of the functionality seemed to be missing. Also I couldn't stretch the text to read it on small  phone screen. The desk top version works fine though - (but I expect it cuts into one's download allowance more?! Not a problem for me as I never use all mine anyway!)

Highlighted

I've been searching and searching for latest posts - what happened to them?  How could it possibly be that people said they didn't want them!  Please please bring them back it's so difficult navigating around and trying to find past posts now and new ones without having to go into each category separately.  

Highlighted

Thanks Lulu, that is a good idea - also the bookmark feature is useful.

Janet - no wonder I didn't find the TN section as not "Recently Diagnosed"!  Not sure where else it could go either - what a thankless task you've had trying to fit everything in!   I think the previous forum had more on display, here the boards are  all hidden behind the  category titles so you have to guess/browse a lot more.  I'm sure we'll get used to it.

Highlighted

I'm wondering if there is a positive response to this desire for a 'Latest Posts' section rather simply lamenting its passing?  If I remember correctly, two forum versions ago, the front page was actually not so different functionally from what we have now - a hyperlink to each major section of the forum (with the one most recent post in that section underneath it) and above all of them a hyperlink to 'latest posts'.  Within each major section, the functionality was very similar to what we have now, with subsections each with their own list of latest posts.

I appreciate it is no small undertaking, but might it be feasible to add a long thin button like the 'talk to people like me' one that led to 'latest posts' which people could then trawl to their hearts content?  Not saying it should happen, just wondering if it might be feasible and meet the perceived need of some users?

I totally understand that the clear message was that people didn't like it as it was (I recall the gripes early on after the last launch)  but in my experience users can be very fickle: 'when I said I wanted that , I didn't mean that, I meant this.'

Hope this is useful and does not feel like soemone trying to tell you what to do... personally i'm happy looking at sections I am interested in.

Highlighted

Just to add I had this message appear when trying to post, not really sure what that's about , but resubmitted and post went through without me making any changes.

Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.

Highlighted

I really like the new forum, but I do miss the Latest Posts, I think the problem now  the way latest posts are set out is that unless older members or those further along  with treatments actually go searching through each category ie, Have I got breast cancer, Newly dx , Going through treatments etc ,then those people in those categories properly wont get quite so much support as before, because most people will naturally tend to stick  to the sections that only apply to them at the  time , therefore lots of  individual groups are naturally formed ,instead of having that one big family BC support group feel that the BCC forums have always previously had, I think people, especially in those category's in particular, really need the help and support from those members further along ,not only mutual support from others in the same situation, as they need the experience of others who have been where they are now. 

I understand that some people don't really like trawling through loads of latest posts, but on the other hand ,even on previous forums (I've been here long enough to see 4!!) no one had to use the latest posts section ,you could still go direct to the category's which you were only interested in.

I think by the amount of responses so far about members really missing the Latest Posts , it may be the one thing that eventually puts some members off from visiting the forums quite so much, as its now not quite so user friendly in that respect and inclusive .

Just my opinion.

Linda Woman Indifferent  . 

Highlighted

I have lost count of the number of people on here who have posted saying they always used latest posts. I cannot believe users said they did not want it. I wonder who BCC actually asked.

This has been mentioned numerous times and I have not yet seen anyone from BCC accept that they need to put the link back in place.

Highlighted

Teej.... When you get to the forums you like eg TNBC you can subscribe to it so you get an email when something new is posted.... I hope!
X
Highlighted

According to BCC the Latest Posts section was removed because forum users didn't want it, but the point is this:

We complained about it because it wasn't set up properly on the previous forum - there were pages and pages to wade through because all replies to all thresds were listed, rather than the latest reply to each thread only being shown.

It worked perfectly well on the earlier 2009/10 version.

Highlighted

Hi Teej

If you still haven't found it the triple negative section is in "Recently diagnosed".  Here is the link:

http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Triple-negative/bd-p/4453

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Janet

Highlighted

Hi All,

Just to let you know I have passed on all your feedback and comments.

Best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Highlighted

Oh good, it's not just me struggling with the new forum!  I'm finding it hard to find what I want (where is Triple Negative??!)  and can only find my way around through the search facility.  But then I forget where I've been and I've just been trying to find a post I wrote yesterday with no joy hence I came here to whinge.  The menu on the left hand side of the old board was very simple and easy to use.  And please can we have the latest post section back?

Highlighted

OK - I've been trying to wean myself off this site for a few months with limited success, but now BCC has done it for me.  This is definitely the second, possibly the third revamp since I have been posting in 2007 (chemo brain - can't even remember that anymore).  I just don't want to get to grips with a new site again.  I really don't like the latest posts being all over the place - it was how I used the forum previously, it was easy to see what was being talked about, and easy to pick up on queries where I might have something useful to say.  Plus I cannot see a 'first unread' option  - again there is now too much to wade through to find what I want.  And I really can't be bothered to find my avatar again. 

Highlighted
Community Champion

As a long standing member of this forum, I must add what a dreadful mess this 'new' layout is.  I cannot even be bothered to read back over the posts on here to see if I am repeating what anyone else has said but:

Why have Latest Posts disappeared (pretty much)?  Surely most users checked these first on the older forums and didn't know which Topic heading a thread was under, let alone try to find it.  I agree new users would post under a Topic heading but after that, didn't most of us check in each time in the Latest Posts page to see any replies to any thread that was active?  As it is any latest posts (under a particular topic) are now being duplicated if a reply is added, as happened at first with the last re-incarnation of the forum.  That way we may only see one topic being replied to whereas others are active as well.  Also the 'Welcome' page is not welcoming at all, you are encouraged to join the Forum before reading, something I know many of us found we didn't want to do until we had something to add or ask.  Reading the Forum when it was a much more user friendly affair back in 2008 was the main reason I joined the BCC Forum rather than any other BC related website as I didn't have to 'join'.

Very disappointed.

Nicky

Highlighted

The sort order of the comments can be changed at the top of the page (the pink, "thread options" part).  You can change the order to "sort oldest to newest".

But... as so many people have asked the same question, and find the default sort order odd, could the default not be changed to newest posts last.

Also, might it be a good idea to have a "The new forum, how do I...?"  FAQ section stickied somewhere prominent?  Save us having to trawl through this thread, or asking the same questions over and over again?

Highlighted

I apologise if this has been me mentioned before BUT. why are the latest comments in a thread at the top and where is the 'first unread' button? It's males reading the thread really hard as you have to scroll down to the last post read, scroll to the top of that post, scroll back up to the next, then down to read, then back up again . . Why?!?
Also the subject heading appears too large on my mobile. I only use a mobile or tablet to access the account.
Please please change it back its driving me mad and making me want to defect!!!!!
Highlighted

Hi Rev, I feel its a shame because I make contact with less people than I used to, as I don't like to let them down by mot answering if I lose the thread or forget where it is. Latest posts was my route apart from my dear dear friends on here on our darlings thread and we have been chatting since 2008. We started off on anothe huge thread in chemo when we all met up, so as long as I don't lose them I seem to settle for doing less with each change. Take care Lily and thank you for boosting me to 2000, I feel like I got a holy promotion 🙂 Lily x

Highlighted

Thanks Lily2000, that made me chuckle, especially the idea of you and Lulu doing a raid on me Cat Very Happy

Yes, I've had a fair few PMs from shy/private people over the years I've been on here (never managed that escape!) sometimes because they've seen stuff in my biog that resonated.

I am very happy for any/all forum members to see my biography stuff (as they could on the last two versions of the forum) but don't want Jo(e) Public reading it, for all sorts of reasons (I'm not in health care, but an equally sensitive role).  It seems at the moment the biog stuff is described as 'public and searchable' but actually isn't.

I am sure the techie people will get it sorted in due course... I will leave virtual cat-cakes outside the broom cupboard door for them Cat Wink

Highlighted

Hi, Rev cat I am Billy no mates too, which is a shame as often shy people have approached me by pm. In these cases its too early to give them my email address as it also gives my name but I would feel terrible to refuse to accept them as a friend. So I am stuffed on that one - apart from long standing great pals on here.

Lulu I tried a raid on your name and you will be relieved to know I found nothing out, so you are safe until you let  a friend in. I know you are in the health industry where you have to be cautious on privacy or you would be unable to say so much of what you do to help people and that is a valuable thing to have on the forum. I have the same problem being a teacher but for different reasons. I have to confess I have a lot of terms and options that I haven't the foggiest what they mean so am trying not to touch them, just in case. Perhaps BCC could have a section on the forum that explained different functions that are now offered, for those of us that are not monitor heads and just dabble with the 21st century.Anyway keep smiling everyone and look forward to the next forum after this one lol Lily x

Highlighted

Thanks for that June.
I'll bookmark that link.
Highlighted

Hello Oyster

Here is a link to the web page that you need.  On the left hand side of the page there are options to select.

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services/information-and-support-sessions/your-area

Best wishes

June, moderator

Highlighted

Where can I find the "Upcoming Events" section regarding planned Lingerie Evenings, Breast Reconstruction talks etc?

Highlighted

Thank you Helen, that's all fixed now - super quick service Cat Happy

Highlighted

Hi again all,

Another quick update on the Privacy setting front:

The error seems to appear when you change one setting. If you change all three it lets you save.

RevCat, I've just tried re-setting your settings in the back-end and it seemed to work. I've logged this issue with our tech team but let's try using this as a workaround in the meantime. 

Woman Happy

Highlighted

Hi Revcat,

Im useing google chrome and have had no problem at all changeing my setting's ,so i expect it must be a browser issue,  not sure why different brower's wont allow to change setting's, though i know Firefox has had quite a few bugs in the past (Use to love Firefox but changed a while back for that reason) I think if i remember rightly Firefox also imports IE setting's so i expect that is proberly why your having difficultie's with both browsers. there  must be some issue there going on. Sorry it didnt work for you , hopefully the BCC techie's will be able to sort it out for all browsers.

Linda Woman Happy

Highlighted

Actually ignore that if I click on the word view and not all the highlighted bits it works. Sorry
Highlighted

Have another question.....

When I get an email to say there's a response and click on the link to the post. It takes me to the first post and not the one that I've just been emailed about.

Twice this morning

I'm using my mobile.... iPhone.

Not sure if its a glitch but would be much easier to take me to last page. Not so bad on this thread as only 7 pages long but when it gives options of page to go to ie 1 of 7, 2 of 6, etc its ok but will be scrolling for while in a long thread.
Highlighted

Hi all, 

KittieKat is indeed correct there - your profile information is visible to 'Friends' or 'No one', depending on how you set it up. So, even though you can see your details when you view your Profile, no one else can (unless you've added them as a friend!)

RevCat - apologies that there's a glitch with this in Firefox - do hang in there and we'll work to get it fixed asap.

Woman Happy

Highlighted

I was using chrome and it said public settings... And my email was in that section. That's why I was wondering.
But thanks for checking x
Highlighted

That's correct Kittecat, but in Firefox it seems still not possible to change it (error message as previously reported) and Cornishgirl's fix didn't work for me.  I wasn't able to change it using Explorer either and am too lazy to download yet another browser!  For the time being I will settle for being a 'billy no mates' to keep my email address hidden from everyone Cat Very Happy

Highlighted

Your email address is either available to "friends only" or to "no-one".  There is no "public" setting that I can see.

You can see you settings, or change them, here ...

https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-preferences%3Aprivacy

You yourself can see your email address when you click on your own username, but no-one else can, apart from friends, if you have that option selected.

Highlighted

lily i cant see your email can you see mine? as says its public but doesnt appear any options to change it to private

Highlighted

i love that when you click reply to one of my posts it says i registered on 19/01/2038 lol
Highlighted

Messages are back, so forget that part. It hasn't worked for a few days but working now. Just how to make the email address disappear to anyone please. Thanks Lily

Highlighted

Thanks, the time order seems to be back. Before I was thanking someone before their post to help me had appeared. All my messages have disappeared too, can you help as I only send pms to some people who prefer more privacy. Also I have a new email address that I want to change my account to but like one of the other posters, I don't want it to appear to anyone. I would like more control of who can see it. I would like no email address shown and just tell people who I want to. I tried another posters' advice but mine still appears after following it.I would appreciate some help with these matters when you have time.

Thanks Lily