The waiting

I had my core biopsy done yesterday 09-24-13. (It hurt!!)   Now I have to wait until friday for the results.  No one realized the size until I showed them that if I squeeze the breast the whole size was revealed.  They thought all I had was a small ball in the nipple.  When the biopsy Doctor saw the true size, she decided to check my armpit. she found 2 lymph nodes that were suspicious and took more biopsies.  Now I’m afraid that a mastectomy may be recommended.  Am I being overly paranoid??

Hi DeBue

I am sorry to read you’re having such a worrying time at the moment. I’m sure some of the other users will be a long soon to offer you their support and experiences.

In the mean time you might find it helpful to talk things through with someone who will offer you emotional support and practical information.  The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Dear Debue

So sorry to hear of your experience and that the biopsy hurt.  You are not being overly paranoid. But, depending on what type,size and grade your tumour is, a mastectomy might not be the first choice. Many ladies who have a large lump but don’t want a mastectomy can opt to have chemo to shrink the lump before surgery. Some of the results have been that the tumour had shrunk to practically nothing. Even if a mastectomy is  advised, you can have a reconstruction. 

Whatever surgery you go for, you will probably have a sentinal node biopsy to confirm just how many nodes are affected. These can then be removed straight away. 

Good luck for when you get your results  on Friday.  Sending big hugs.

poemsgalore xx