Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Theraputic Mamoplasti

24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted

Re: Theraputic Mamoplasti

Perhaps you don't need them then.

I was given a leaflet basically with the same exercises as in the BCC leaflet: www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/getting-fitter-feeling-stronger-leaflet-exercises-after-surgery-bcc6

plus they made me an appointment at the breast physio clinic (but I couldn't go as the weather was bad).  I did have a few lymph nodes out under my arm though.

Highlighted

Hi Freda,
Thks but what exercises, I haven't been given any? My nodes were taken from my breast as that is where they were taken from. x
Highlighted

Hi Looby

Glad to hear you're home  I was wondering how you got on.  Take it easy, but do make the effort to do your exercises. X

Highlighted

Hi all, thankfully I have had the surgery and I am now home again. The operation went well and I came home the next evening with only 1 drain, unfortunately I had to go back into hospital the next day because the wound had been bleeding overnight. I just want to say a big thank you to Olga the BCN who cleaned and changed my dressing and removed my drain, what a wonderful kind and caring person she is. I have also been struggling with finding a comfortable bra, the BCN suggested a bra back extender which we found in   M & S. I can highly recommend them for anyone who might have the same problems that I have suffered, they only cost £5 for a pack of three and save you having to buy new bras. I am so thankful that my lymph nodes were clear,although I am now waiting and worrying again for a couple of weeks to find out if I have clear margins on the area they have removed from my breast. So happy to be back home x

Highlighted

Thank you all for you kind words and support. I woke this morning totally composed and ready for action, can't wait to get in now, 1 more hour to go then I will be on my way!

Highlighted

Hi Looby.

I have been following your thread and glad people have been able to offer support while you made your decision.  Wishing you luck for tomorrow.

Will be thinking of you, try to get some sleep tonight.

Take Care.  G x

Highlighted

good luck for tomorrow, I am sure it will be fine, just put your trust in the team looking after you.

Highlighted

Thanks Kipper, so pleased surgery has worked for you. Like you I am so frightened of having the operation tomorrow, it's strange the thoughts that go through your head. I know once I walk through the hospital doors I will be fine. Thankyou again for sharing your experience it has really helped. x

Highlighted

Hi

I had my operation on the 8th - theraputic mammoplasty and lymph node removal.  I was actually in hospital 4 nights but I have a disability so this may have been why.  I had 2 drains, one was removed after a week and the other one is still in place.   Pain is fine, its more discomfort.   I was extremely worried about the surgery, I have had 6 mths of chemo that was fine but the surgery was the big thing for me.  My surgeon was AMAZING, the kindest man I have ever met and he coaxed me through doing it.   The good news is that it worked and he told me last Friday that I had clear margins and only 3 of 15 nodes affected.   I had very large breasts and he took 650g of tissue out, I am now very lopsided but that can corrected.  I expect I will need radiotherapy, should know more later this week.

Good luck with your surgery, its worth trying, if nothing else if you end up needing more surgery at least you know why.  

Highlighted

Thanks Freda x
Highlighted

Good luck.  I hope it all goes well.  I have got rads planning appointment Tues, so will think about you while I'm waiting.  Let us know how it goes.

Highlighted

Thanks again ladies, just to update I am going in on Tuesday for a theraputic mammoplasti, although worried about the surgery and the final outcome, from sharing your own experiences with me you have all helped me to come to this decision and I am confident that I have made the right choice.x

Highlighted

Freda, thankyou so much for all your helpful information you have helped me so much you are a godsend. I am so pleased you are now on the road to recovery. x

Highlighted

Hi

It is usually a day procedure, but my BS wanted a colleague to work alongside her to do the other side and reduce the length of the op.  The slot they both had was first after lunch, so they told me I would be in overnight as it would finish late. 

As it was I had a horrendous reaction to the anasthetic or something and was vomiting all night - lovely for the other ladies in my ward.  I was still home at 11am the next day though.  The drains were just in overnight.  My BS came to look at 8am and said they could come out.  I had a trainee nurse sat in on the op and then came to have a look in the morning and she said she though the op had taken about 4 hours.

Dressings came off about 10 days later.  BS told me to buy DD sports bra and that was just right at first.  But when the dressings came off if found the seam across the cup rubbed my nipples.  I tried bras with no seam, but they do not seem to give enough support during the day. (Ok for sleeping in though).  So BCN advised wearing pantyliners in bra.  Now managing without them.  It is a whole new world I didn't know about!

I also couidn't find much info specifically on TM, but have found the forum really helpful. It has given me courage because other people can cope with much worse than I am having to deal with.

Highlighted

Freda, can I ask how long you were in hospital and if you needed any drains? Thankyou x
Highlighted

Freda, thankyou for your reply you are the first person whose has replied who has had the same procedure I have been offered. I am so pleased for you that all is going well, I also think I will opt for the TM now. I still want to speak to my consultant tomorrow just to check what happens next if there are no clear marjins. I have been told that they will not do a reduction on the other breast until my rads have finished.

Highlighted

Thankyou Mary, I have an appointment tomorrow with the consultant and I think I am going to go with the TM. I just want to check what happens next if there are no clear margins.

Highlighted

Hi Freda61

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums where I am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.  To help you along I have put for you below the link to one of BCC's publications you might find helpful.

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-you-diagnosis...

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Highlighted

Hi

I had a therapeutic mammoplasty nearly 4 weeks ago.  Onc results showed they got clear margins. Started tamoxifen today and should start rads in a few weeks. I had an MRI scan as ILC does not show up very clear on other scans. Things have gone pretty much so far as BS said from the beginning.  I had big breasts though, so plenty of scope for BS.  Gone from 40G to 40 DD at the moment (still a bit swollen i think).  Had other side done to match. Lump was 36mm, which was about how it felt.

I also had choice of MX, but BS was pro TM and my logic was that if they did not get clear margins I would then ask for MX.

Highlighted

Hi

I was also diagnosed with invasive lobular and opted for wide local excision.it is true that you are not guaranteed clear margins, but it is often possible to go back in and have another go as you may have read on this forum. 

My surgeon also explained to me that if I didn't like the cosmetic results of the wle I could choose to have Mx afterwards with reconstruction.

I appreciate that a mamoplasty op is different from a wle but hope my experience is useful to you. Have you also been told that you would need radiotherapy if you opt for the mamoplasty?

All the best with your decision.

Mary

Highlighted

Hi Jude, thankyou for sharing your experience with me, I am still undecisive as to what will be the right choice for me. I am going to speck to the BCN tomorrow and then discuss my concerns with the consultant on Wednesday. 

Highlighted

Hi Tracey, Thankyou for sharing your experience with me, it has been very helpful. x

Highlighted

Hi Looby,

For the same reason as Tracy gives, In Feb 2013 I opted for an MX with immediate temporary implant or tissue expander, following ILC diagnosis. My tumour, which was 5cm, had not been apparent until after biopsies were carried out. In October, I followed this with an MX to the other side, also with a Becker implant, rather than having a reduction operation. One of the risks with lumpectomy is that the results show insufficient clear margins and further surgery is required to obtain them.

Let us know what you decide.

Jude
Highlighted

Hi, I also had invasive lobular cancer and opted for a bmx on the 14th October which was the right decision for me. The consultant offered me a lumpectomy but I had already decided this wasn't for me even though the initial lump was only 14mm. The lump was not seen on a mammogram and I had to guide the radiologist for this to be found on an ultrasound. MRI also showed 1 lump 14mm but after surgery mine was found to be multifocal and 5cm. The surgeon explained that ilc is very sneaky as it grows like a spiders web and is often missed on scans. I was so glad that I opted for the bmx however this is personal choice and many women do opt for a lumpectomy with excellent results. I'm not sure if a therapeutic mamoplasti is the same as a lumpectomy. Good luck with your decision making, I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you. XXX

Theraputic Mamoplasti

After various tests since discovering I have invasive lobular cancer in September, I have now been offered surgery of a theraputic mamoplasti or a MX, it is my decision. I would appreciate some information from anyone who has had either  surgery, because I have to make a decision by this Wednesday. My initial concerns about the TM are that the BCN has told me they might not have clear margins. If anyone has any helpful advice I would be greatful to hear from your own experiences.