Thickened womb lining and tamoxifen

Hi there

Posted this in “Coping with Fear and Anxiety” too…

I haven’t been on the boards here for ages but something has cropped up and I was wondering if anyone has gone through the same.  I was diagnosed with breast cancer in March 2014 and had 6 rounds of chemo, a wide local excision, LICAP reconstruction and 6 weeks of rads, all finishing Dec 2014.  I’ve been doing pretty well since then (lots of emotional struggles but that’s another story…).  However…

I’ve been taking Tamoxifen for just over a year.  I’ve had lower back problems for a while - these pre-date cancer - but I pushed to get an MRI on my back to rule out anything “sinister” (as they like to say).  Two weeks ago I saw the oncologist who said there was nothing worrying on the back BUT the MRI showed some endometrial thickening.  I had an ultrasound yesterday and a phone call with the oncologist today who said that there is a possibility that it’s endometrial cancer and I need to have a biopsy ASAP.

I am devastated.  I have only been on Tamoxifen for a year – can it really make this much of a difference that quickly? The oncologist said it is unusual but not impossible. She also said they really don’t see that many women on Tamoxifen with endometrial cancer. I am really scared. I am a single parent with a 9 year old and don’t know how I will cope with another round of cancer treatment so soon after the last.

Has anyone else been through similar?

Thanks for reading.

Jx

Hi Jos,

i too had endometrial thickening after taking tamoxifen for a year and had to have an endometrial biopsy and hysteroscopy to rule out the possibility of endometrial cancer. It came back clear of cancer. I was told that they always like to check it out, if you get endometrial thickening on tamoxifen because there is a very small chance of the tamoxifen causing endometrial cancer but it is not very often that, that is actually the case.

it is very frightening while it is being investigated but in the vast majority of cases there is nothing to worry about.

i hope I have managed to put your mind at rest at least a little bit.

Take care 

hollyberry

Hi, I am scrolling through this board trying to find a story similar to my own. I’ve just read yours and wondered how you are doing…sounds like you’ve had a tough time.

Hope nearly a year on you’re now through the tough times.

Hi,

I am scrolling through this board trying to find a story similar to my own. I’ve just read yours and wondered how you are doing…sounds like you’ve had a tough time.

Hope nearly a year on you’re now through the tough times.

Hi can you help I’ve been on tamoxifen for 7 months not had a period in over a year since my second chemo I have started to bleed today and can’t move because of the pain is this like you ? X I’ve had awful panic attackes and joint pains also since taking it xx

Thank you I’m of to the doc today have rung the breast care nurse about my joint pain and they are seeing me next week xxx.
Big hugs and thank you