Thinking of going private but unsure

Oh man…After being diagnosed with around 20 fibroadenomas, I had a further 3 of the little critters appear over the next few weeks so went back to the hospital.

They didn’t do any further tests as on physical examination, the consultant said they feel just like the others and not to worry.
How can I not worry, when it is apparantly rare for someone of my age (37), who is pre menopausal to have multiple fibroadenomas.

I seriously want them out but the consultant is adamant she won’t put me forward for surgery because a double mastectomy is too drastic for a benign condition. However, reading a lot of threads on here from women who had multiple fibroadenomas and then went on to develop cancer gives me a good enough reason to want them gone.

She recommends I see a counsellor but I can’t see this is going to change my mind.

What do you guys think? Am I over reacting?

Hi

I don’t think you’re overreacting. I’d feel the same and it’s frustrating when the medics don’t appear to be listening. You can ask for a 2nd opinion. Maybe you’ll get someone a bit more sympathetic.

I asked for bilateral mastectomy for different reasons and am sure some surgeons would have refused point blank but mine was amazing and agreed as long as I spoke to a psychologist first. I had the op back in April and don’t regret it at all.

Good luck x

Thank you for your reply.

Was yours a benign condition too or did you have family connections with cancer.

See…This is what worries me. They won’t biopsy mine because there are too many but they did an MRI to see if any look suspicious. They tell me that the MRI is the best test they can do so I shouldn’t be concerned because it didn’t show anything other than the 20 fibroadenomas and an old lump which has changed slightly since 2001. Surely the fact that there’s been changes suggests others could change too and at what point are they gonna decide to do something. Surely this should be my decision. I have children, and if I can avoid these little critters turning cancerous by having them removed, then I’d rather that than risk having to go through chemo later on x x

Yes, I think a second opinion is the way forward. Do I arrange this myself by phoning another hospital or do I tell my consultant and they arrange it. Has anyone gone for a second opinion before who can advise x x

I rarely see my GP to be honest. Saw a nurse at my GP practice who was the one to refer me to the breast clinic and when I’ve been about my anxiety and for a sick note, my GP wasn’t available so I’ve seen various different ones. We have a shortage of GP’s in our area so we just see whoever we can. I wonder whether to just call the breast clinic and ask what the process is for wanting to review my notes.

I’ve never heard of that one x

What does PALS stand for?

Thank you for this information. I have now been in touch and asked to sit down with someone to go through my notes. They have acknowledged my request and will be in contact soon.

Finally heard from consultant after contacting PALS and I am seeing him tomorrow to go through my medical notes. I have also looked into going private and the consultant that was recommended to see is actually the same one I’m seeing in the NHS, so tomorrow I will be able to hopefully get all the information I need from him for free.

I have a very long list of worries and questions so that I don’t forget anything.

Wish me luck.