Sorry Lizzie, I read your message wromg, I thought your tumour was 2.15 cm hence my reply! You could always ask at your next appointment. It's probably because the tumour is small, no nodes, er+, so chemo benefit would be very small. Chemo risks were deemed to probably outweigh any benefit for me. Hope all goes well. Michelle x
Thanks Michelle, yes I read that too. Mine was 15 mm. I guess I have to trust the medical team and go with it.xo
Hi Lizzie, I'm pretty sure that for oncotype testing the tumour has to be smaller than 2 cm - that sticks in my mind as I was just within the criteria (my tumour was exactly 2cm). Hope this helps. Michelle xx
I think you are absolutely right about different treatment plans a thinking 'why didn't I have that?' But the truth is, we don't know each other. We are all different ages, sizes, lifestyles, breast density, ect ect. Loads and loads of variables so one size shouldn't fit all. Even with the ladies I've met in the waiting room, we are all having different stuff.
am knackered having got back from work. Absolutely shattered. Sandra - it is exhausting so don't go back too soon. Am looking forward to the anesthetic again😄😄😄😄
Don't worry Lizzy. I was the same as you, no node involvement, HR+, 1.4 cm lump, didn't need chemo, just rads. Hadn't heard of oncotype testing at the time, but later on I asked my oncologist why I didn't have the test (like you, wanting to be sure they had done everything they needed to do!) and my onc said I didn't need the test because my cancer was, quote, "too good to need it"! If you are worried ask the oncologist. I gather after surgery they have a MDT (Multidisciplinary Team Meeting) where they look at the outcome of surgery and make a decision as to further treatment. I don't think cost was an issue for mine as I was treated under my Health Insurance so if they had felt I needed the test they would have definitely sent off for it as it wold not have cost the NHS anything. I think it is natural to worry when we read on here that others have had slightly different treatment plans, but we are all different and our plans are tailor made for us. Hope you are progressing well. xxxxxxxxx
What's a vascular transfer.
I was grade 2 15mm, hormone receptive, no spread to lymph nodes. I was told I didn't meet the criteria for an oncotype school test - but that doesn't seem to be the case.
No chemo, just need rads but worried that they may not have done all the appropriate testing due to cost implications.
I hope you are all doing ok - the waiting us the worst bit. Xo
Munchkin - so lovely to hear a positive story. I quite like my surgery boob now because she's given it a lift. I don't miss the nipple and husband says my scar looks like a smile! i just hope she gets a wide enough margin this time. If she doesn't then I may just say do a mx.
sandra - I have a micromet on the sentinel lobe but they won't do any more lymph removal. They only do the oncotype if certain markers are fulfilled and I fulfill all of them so it may be that it's not suitable for your type of cancer ??? I think the horrible weather hasn't helped today. It's just been a meh day. My poor son had his gcse English retake today. From what he said,
I don't hold out much hope of a pass. Hope tomorrow is better for you. Decided that work can look after itself and I will only do what I can do and after next Wednesday they will have to cope. Actually feeling calmer now. So will enjoy this moment until the next phase of stomach churning anxiety. I did have a bit of a chunter at the poor nurse about this roller coaster business.
Hi Mishy, just to let you know that the Oncotype testing is only done for hormone receptive breast cancers so as you are triple negative it wouldnt be of any use for you x
I went through two surgeries, first lumpectomy at the end January, went back for results to be told there was a bit more tumour than they thought, unfortunately because of where the tumour was situated, they weren't able to get enough healthy tissue around to check for clear margins, a mastectomy was then recommended, just to be sure, I was so upset, as my boob was healing up nicely and u could hardly even notice the scar. Anyway two weeks later had the op with immediate implant, was so pleased I had the implant, my new boob looks so perky! My results after mastectomy showed no more cancer on breast tissue, also nodes were clear, half way through chemo now, 3 more to go, then I'm all done! Tamoxifen a month after chemo.xx
Sorry to hear you're having to face more surgery but at least they're taking no chances and getting it all out this time. I know the start of a new term is a kind of watershed. I have it in my own mind that I want to be right for then but chances are cancer might have a different idea. Try and let the work thing go (if you can) while you deal with this next phase of the journey. Sending strength x
As I thought, because the cancer was three times bigger than they thought, one of the margins wasn't quite enough. She'sd cleared 0.5 mm rather than a complete mm so another op for next Thursday. It's a smaller op for me but quite tricky for the surgeon as she has to fiddle about with just a small amount. I'm going to tell her to remove a bit more than she thinks because that is only still a tiny amount more and I am relatively generous of nork. Hey ho.
the big pain in the butt is that I don't think they've sent off the oncotype sample yet. There is a new protocol in place which patients need to see the oncologist to see whether they'd go for chemo if that was tecommended. Recently they had someone flatly refuse chemo which was a bit of a surprise to all and a huge waste of £2,500. So this whole shennanigan isn't going to be sorted before end of term which means I can't plan for September. But as my husband has said, that is my school's problem, not mine.
Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time after a great holiday too. I really feel for you. Will be thinking of you tomorrow afternoon and keeping everything crossed. Xx
I have an appointment with oncologist on Monday week to probs talk about oncotype test and resultant treatment. Not sure why I would then need to see the surgeon again except for further test results. One of the bc nurseswho phoned to tell me about the oncotype test muttered something vague about perhaps the pathologist may be running more tests as the cancer was bigger. This to me equates with 'the beastie was bigger so margins need to be wider'
of course it could be that she wants to talk about the oncotype test with me but I can't see why. She's the surgeon sothat means surgery.
Trying to stop feeling sick and running to the loo. Anxiety is through the roof.
thank you lovely ladies for helping. Apt is on Tuesday lunchtime.
Hi Flyingarcher, I had to have more surgery after my lumpectomy due to unclear margins, but was told at my 2 week post op appointment which you've already had so maybe your appt is just to give you the results of the Oncotype test? To be honest, I was so worried about my wound being opened up again and thought it would be harder to heal but it didn't actually take too long at all and wasn't particularly painful. Fingers crossed for you . Michelle xx
Same as optimissy I had my apt with the surgeon 5 weeks post op to give me my results and confirm that I was going to rads.
Flyarcher I have everything crossed for you that it is confirmation everything is still on to rads. I know it is really difficult to do, but please try and keep your lovely holiday in your thoughts to counter the fear you are feeling. When is the apt?
Sending you a hug xxxx
Unfortunately have seen her two weeks post op where everything was rosy and no more cancer. Just on to rads. Then nurse phones before
I go away to say mr c has been sent to oncotype testing. Have come to terms with that. Now this and think it must be further surgery needed. Hopefully just boob because that healed up quite quickly compared to lymph biopsy. Just feel sick and now can't eat. Was looking forward to going back to work tomorrow but now feel very shaky.
I don't want to offer false hope, but I saw my surgeon a couple of weeks after the op so he could inspect his handiwork and tell me the outcome of the surgery, and the decision of the MDT meeting that morning as to further treatment - in my case just rads. If you haven't already seen your surgeon post-op, then this appointment could just be a follow up as mine was? Finger crossed, anyway. xxxxx
Just got back from fab holiday, not thinking about cancer at all to find letter from hospital with appt with surgeon. This will be a month post op. I think this isn't good. I think they are going to say I need more surgery. The original tumour was bigger than they thought so bet they've done yet more tests and want to clear more margins. Such a pain as I'm all healed up and back to normal. Is this likely do you think or is it normal to see the surgeon a month afterwards. I think she said she'd see me in a few months time.
bloody hell. Will this ever bloody end?