Throat

Hello ladies

I had my second FEC on July 25th and the side effects were mostly the same ad the first time. I had a weird feeling in my throat, which I’m guessing was heartburn but it felt like I’d taken up sword swallowing the pain was so intense. Luckily it stopped suddenly. The other thing that I have serious concerns about is a pain in my wrist up to my elbow wher I was cannulated. I’m due to see my GP today and will discuss it but I wondered if anyone else had a similar issue and if so what was the outcome. I don’t like the sound of the alternative methods of getting the stuff in. It’s so frustrating when the veins on my ‘do not use’ arm are sitting up nice and blue and the ones on my useable arm appear to have gone into hiding

It’s great this journey isn’t it??

I had my chemo in 2013, but didn’t want you to be left with nobody responding to your queries.  Your throat and heartburn issues sound very familiar!  I was given tablets by the GP, which I still take, which sorted them out – so do discuss them.  

The pains in your chemo arm are also familiar!  FEC is very hard on your veins.  I was told I had “great” veins – but they were rubbish by the end of chemo and now – 13 months later – it is still nearly impossible to get a blood sample from them.  Be sure that after your FECis administered, they flush your veins with saline.  My hospital was quite good about that, but I have learned since that not every hospital is so through.  Stamp you foot and demand it!  It will help a lot, but unfortunately there will still be damage.  Good news is that the damage is reversible.  i am now a lot better off than I was right after chemo – but it does take a long time.  

Good luck on your journey.

With love, Yankee

Thanks for that Yankee. I think part of the problem with my throat is the fact that water tastes awful in the few days after chemo so I have tended towards coke and lemonade with a spoon in the glass to make if go flat. Next time I’m going to force myself to drink water and see if that makes a difference but I will mention if to the chemo nurse before Friday when I have my last FEC.

With regard to the arm I went to see the oncologist who confirmed the vein was damaged. I made sure to go the week before my chemo in case I needed a PICC put in but she thinks they can use the vein on the thumb. Not looking forward to that I can tell you! I will also be asking for an additional saline flush.

Thank you again for your response. I hope you’re now fully recovered, or as much as we can ever be, and treatment is a distant memory.

Hi. The vein problem seems to be very common! My breast care nurse referred me to the physio who showed me some massage techniques which do help. She also told me to keep trying to straighten my arm which helps to stretch out the scar tissue (which is what causes the pain). It’s not gone away but had certainly not got worse in the three weeks since FEC 3 I think the flushing of the veins definitely helps too. Good luck! Xx