cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throwing up after surgery

3 REPLIES 3
jillybee

Re: Throwing up after surgery

Felt,and was sick for a whole week after my DIEP,great on the poor tummy,as you can imagine.Yes,close eyes,room spinning,opened them,felt sick.No matter what I had,still felt dreadful....IT WILL PASS....as long as you can keep fluids down.Was exactly the same following my hip replacements.However,all the other ops,had 15 operations related to breast cancer,was fine.....just hugs to you,and sips of ice cold water.....💞💞💞

Janey2

You poor thing. I hope you're starting to feel better. I think Catokitty is right. It sounds like a bug. I am often sick after anaesthetic but not as you describe. Check out with your GP too. Wishing you a speedy recovery x
catokitty

Hi Jacquie.  I hope you are starting to feel better now.  I was sick a couple of hours after I got back to the ward after surgery (mastectomy).   I had a cup of tea and brought it back up a bit later.   After that I was fine.  Perhaps you have picked up a bug which is making you feel ill and it is just a conincidence.  Obviously I am not a medical expert but I would have thought feeling sick for more than a day after surgery would not be due to the anaesthetic.  If you repost on the Ask the Nurse board maybe they could help you or alternatively ring the BCC help line and they can advise you.  They are really sympathetic and helpful.  All the best.  

Jacquie48

Throwing up after surgery

Hi all, I had a wire guided lumpectomy and axillary node clearance on Friday 21 October. it was day surgery and I got home about 7pm Friday night. The surgery took longer than expected, over three hours, so I was tired and went straight to sleep. On Saturday night I propped myself up to sleep and every time I closed my eyes the room started spinning and I felt hot and nauseous. I wasn't actually sick and eventually fell asleep. Sunday afternoon went for a nap, same thing. Sunday night actually ft a bit better till I woke up at 1.30am and started throwing up. Once done although I didn feel well I wasn't sick again. I told my home care teamand they said to get anti sickness tablets from my GP. She sorted a prescription for metoclopramide. I took the first at 5pm and quickly felt better. I took a second 6 hours later just after 11pm. Guess what, within minutes of being imbed - propped up not lying down- the room was spinning and I was hot and nauseous. Eventually started throwing up just after 1am. I'm still awake because I'm frightened to close my eyes. I'm so tired I cou cry. Has anyone else experienced this so long after surgery? I've has plenty of anaesthetics in the past and never experienced this. Grateful for any ideas. I'm being careful what I eat and am trying to keep hydrated. Regards, Jacquie x