Thumping heart

One of the side effects I am having, which probably started after FEC #3, is a thumping heart. GP checked my blood pressure a couple of weeks ago and it was 140/90 whereas I am normally 110/70 and have been consistently normal-low all my life until now.

I told the oncologist and he dismissed it as “white coat hypertension”. If there hadn’t been some other distraction (I have to say, I never have his 100% attention) I would have told him off for being so bluddy rude!! I don’t suffer from anxiety of visiting doctors and have always had a very robust, consistent BP, so I don’t think so, Mister!!!

However, the BCN did take the time to take my BP there and it was still at the higher rate that my GP noted. Both have said it isn’t so high that it requires any treatment - but it is high for me.

I can feel my heart thumping (in my chest and my pulse points) most of the time, and it wakes me up sometimes.

Am I just being a hypochondriac and super-sensitive to everything? I wonder if I am now making myself anxious and making it worse?

I’ve had a MUGA scan which came back with a 60% result, and have another one booked for next week, so I guess that might give me some answers.

It is annoying (and worrying) me.

Hey Flora

I’ve had a thumping heart & a kind of pulsing sensation across my chest for the last 3 cycles of tax. It can be quite scary at times (& quite painful), but only tends to last a few days on & off & comes with a slightly raised temperature. I’m not sure if it’s linked to the tax or the neulasta injections I have.

I’ve had some scans & tests & they’ve all come back fine…looks like it’s just a strange side effect I have!

Not sure if it’s similar to what you’re experiencing?

Hopefully yours will prove to be nothing too!

Hx

It does sound similar, doesn’t it, although I haven’t had a raised temperature at all.

It is amazing how reassuring it is just to hear someone else has experienced it. :slight_smile:

I am more than half way through the chemo now, and this week has been the first time I have felt poorly. I am not very good at it.

I am really focusing on coming out the other side as the ‘novelty’ of “having cancer” is really wearing thin now!

Flora

Had that and it lasted through the rest of chemo - started at FEC 3 and continued till end oF post mx chemo - TAX. Survived it, not pleasant but not that unusual, I’m told.

Good luck

Jane x

Hi Flora, i have had palpations right through chemo and it was put down to anxiety. I was also told to drink less coffee. I did say that i only drink about 2 cups a month, so ruled that excuse out. I think its definately a chemo side effect but not one that i found was taken seriously. During 1 particular episode my heart rate actually went irregular for about 30 seconds too which scared me. I had my last chemo on 9th dec, and the palpations appear to be less now, so hopefully they will go. I found too with the tax that i had to sleep it off and allow my body time to get over it, make sure you rest up. By the 4th cycle of tax i was knackered.
take care
anna

aww, sorry you are feeling rough right now. I get the thumping, too, sometimes - mine is usually if ive done something a bit much - like change the bed sheets, or something similar.

Hi Flora

Thought I hadn’t seen any postings from you for a little while, really hope you are beginning to feel somewhat a little better each day - you’ve done so well so far tis must be so frustrating!!!

Re. your palpatations, they are generally a sign of too much exertion and when you consider how much your poor bod has had to put up with so far with the harsh treatment its encountering its none too surprising. I think you can be reassured from your previous MUGA scan that your heart then was healthy and its doubtful it will show any changes this time either. Just make sure you put your feet up when the palps occur and some deep breathing always helps as you get oxygen into your lungs and heart and you are then focusing on this and not the palps.

Any pains in your chest and/or down your left arm, blue tinge around the lips or metaly taste in the back of your throat should be checked pretty quickly.

Mine come and go during the cycle. Always worse around day 4 to 10 and I am starting to put this down to the neut drop. Been keeping a diary of temperature taking and any symptoms and its surprising how a pattern starts to emerge.

Look after yourself and may you be feeling your ‘old’ self fairly soon. I’ve always found you such a postive person adn know you will get through this ‘temporary’ period of treatment.

Hugs and love Leigh xxx

CleesyB - I get the metalic taste at the back of my throat - I thought it was thrush cause I do have oral thrush - is it something else ? I don’t get /have any palputations or other heart related I’ve been walking 2-3 miles every day (pretty much) trying to keep my fitness levels to something reasonable.

Rx

Thanks All
I feel really reassured by your comments.

I had such trouble sleeping the day before yesterday and have felt grotty all week, but my last sleeping tablet has done the trick and I am feeling ‘normal’ again now. :slight_smile:

Ironic, as OH now has a stonking hangover and we are supposed to be going out tonight. He is the one not wanting to go out cos he feels rough!

Finally got rid of the furry mouth feeling and have some energy back, so next week should be a good one. Yay!

Hi Flora

I had 4 x FEC and had a thumping heart and could feel my pulse and my heart beating at certain points during every cycle. I mostly noticed it when I did any sort of exertion - including even walking up the stairs. I found I was also out of breath really quickly and was really worried but as it kept happening I put it down to my bloods and probably my white blood count being particularly low.

Since I finished chemo this has stopped and I don’t get it at all now. I can climb stairs and walk up hills without half the effort and I am less fit now than when doing chemo, so I think it’s all down to blood count.

I found my blood pressure lowered under chemo, going from high normal to ideal! I’m sure it’s gone up again now.

Helen.

Is your pulse rate higher too? I ask as I could hear my heart beating fast when I was in bed at night. I had what Helen describes too…puffed out going up stairs etc and this was put down to being anemic…I wondered if you were anemic too and this was the cause of your thumping. I haven’t had my blood pressure taken for 7 months, since surgery infact, so I’ve no idea whether that was affected too.

I can’t hear my heart now so I’m assuming my haemaglobin counts are up. Should find out in a couple of weeks. Pulse is slower too now.

Hope you get an answer from the onc.

Macc